PDA

View Full Version : Foxtel How to Channel Asking for Help

Stuart
15th June 2006, 08:22 PM
I've been having a discussion recently with the How to Channel on Foxtel, trying to get some more woodworking shows back on the air.

They are talking about producing an Australian show, and it sounds like that is making some progress (hopefully).

However, they are struggling to find some other shows to also air, and are asking for our help. Here is the email I received tonight:

Hi Stuart,

As we have explained we have had difficulty finding any decent
woodworking shows. It might be worthwhile putting out to the forum to
see whether they know of any. Obviously we would place no guarantees of
getting these shows but we might be able to uncover a gem somewhere that
we have not seen.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
The HOW TO Team

So here is the challenge. Please list here any woodworking shows that may be of interest, seen here or overseas, found on the web etc etc.

Not sure if they will watch the forum to see the results, so I will summarise the answers and send it back to them. Obviously, this is a great opportunity to possibly influence what we get to watch on Foxtel!

Please don't hijack it for your own amusement.

echnidna
15th June 2006, 08:26 PM
What's wrong with a totally new show?

Stuart
15th June 2006, 08:28 PM
Nothing at all, so if you are aware of any in progress, list them here as well. They are making a new Australian show, but obviously need more than just the one to satisfy our 'requirements'.

echnidna
15th June 2006, 08:35 PM
Nothing at all, so if you are aware of any in progress, list them here as well. They are making a new Australian show, but obviously need more than just the one to satisfy our 'requirements'.

Ok you lot,

the challenge is there,

lets make the woodie show,

different workshop and craftsman each week,

look around at anything woodie or otherwise.

we could make it work!!!

greg.smith
15th June 2006, 08:41 PM
What about something off The Woodworking Channel? If all else fails, BRING BACK NORM!:rolleyes:

Lignum
15th June 2006, 09:21 PM
I would love to watch a show featuring ordinary every day blokes (or chicks) either weekend warriors, serious hobbiests or the small shop pros in their sheds.

Kept nice and informal, showing us around their workshops and all the machines and what upgrades they have made and whats on the dream/wish list and talking about their favourite tools and jigs and how they make their particular stuff. It would be fantastic. You could have the Dereks showing all the great planes and giving tips, someone like Midge and his PD Racer, Rocker and his rocker, Peter taking us through making a jig, Tony and his Bandsawn boxes, even young pups like Sterlo showing his enthusiastic talents at Pen Making. You could even have a 2min segment each week called Wongos Wok where he whips his latest creation.

Even a timber feature each week on a different species. The skys the limit.

You wouldnt need big bucks just a decent digital recorder. Have it along the same lines as Blokes World with out the tits and blokey stuff, just their sheds and tools. :)

Gra
15th June 2006, 09:26 PM
just make sure als foil suit get hidden:D:D:D:D

BRING BACK NORM....... is the only other suggestion

echnidna
15th June 2006, 09:26 PM
Just what I was thinking Lignum,
Different, but should work.

Buzzer
15th June 2006, 09:48 PM
I'm with lignum on this one.

Stories should be Austalian based with features from around the globe.

I like the idea to keep it formal, it should be about woodwork and not the presenters.

Cheers.

Rocker
15th June 2006, 09:56 PM
I think that, for this to work, the photography would need to be done by someone with professional video-making expertise. If there is a forum member who fits the bill, and is willing to travel to people's workshops, I am sure that those who have something to show would be willing to provide food and accommodation for the photographer. Maybe this could be a vacation project for a suitably qualified person. I would be happy to participate as an enthusiastic amateur woodworker, if someone expert can do the photography and direction.

Rocker

Stuart
15th June 2006, 10:15 PM
I'm sure for the Australian show, that Foxtel have it covered, although no harm in presenting ideas for what could/should be included.

Other than Norm & NYW, are there no other ww shows people have seen that would be good to have on the How to Channel?

Lignum
15th June 2006, 10:17 PM
I'm sure for the Australian show, that Foxtel have it covered

If they have i havnt seen it:confused:

Stuart
15th June 2006, 10:28 PM
???

They have it covered, as in producing the new show as referred to in my first post.

Schtoo
15th June 2006, 11:56 PM
Why not dig up someone who is well spoken (but doesn't need to be too much so), knows the stuff and is presentable (need not be just one person), throw them a couple of decent handycams and let them have at it.

Go to someone's place and see what they do and how they do it. Show some simple stuff and difficult stuff. Have tool reviews, etc, etc. A video magazine if you will.

If you can't sell it to a TV station, then it's not a big problem to burn it to DVD and sell them yourself.

It's not like this kinda video gear is unobtainium or even that expensive. I could do broadcast quality with what I have sitting right here, and there's not that much cash tied up in any of it. Sell a few hundred DVDs and the costs are covered, provided there are very small personell costs. ;)

Most 'networks' have an interest (making money, they aint charities!) aside from what many of the real punters wish to see, and the beancounters dictate an awful lot of it too. Witness the demise of several magazines in quality, but not quantity. It's not the guys making the mag, it's the guys counting the coins that dictate where it heads.

Remove the $$$ fella, and you have a good chance of producing quality, if not a polished article.

I am not saying I will/want to do it, but could if it was required. I just don't know anything worth preserving on video... :D

Ticky
16th June 2006, 12:02 AM
I remembered this from a previous thread...

Also as mentioned, I was preparing a strategic plan for a series that was akin to Normie's where viewers would be guided through making heirloom pieces. Had suppliers, materials, netwrok interest and makers/presenters. It wasnt expensive to make in the world of TV at around $300,000 and considering there is a world market of woodies, seemed like the groundfloor investor would be a very happy chappy in a relatively short period of time. But, as you would all appreciate, "it's gonna be great" and "I just know it will sell" are not excellent aids to getting funding. it isn't dead but the creators need to pay bills and feed families so it is on hold.

Steve

lesmeyer
16th June 2006, 12:04 AM
In my recent communication with the How to channel, they regretted that it was not possible to obtaing the NY workshop. Looks like we will not be seeing the later episodes of NYW.
Les

Iain
16th June 2006, 08:59 AM
I made a professional video in 1993, done on a tight budget it cost me $20k.
Runs for 50 minutes.
Had a few sponsors which saved me about $6k and sold copies to different outlets and recouped $10k.
After a couple of years I sold the rights to Sky Channel for $1k for two years.
Be wary before contemplating making a production as I guarantee Foxtel will not be offering a million dollars, in fact, I would suggest that they only want to pay for air time at a minimal rate and you will not recoup what you invested.
The Home Improvement shows rely heavily on big sponsors and network funding, pay TV will not match this sort of outlay.

Stuart
16th June 2006, 11:18 AM
In my recent communication with the How to channel, they regretted that it was not possible to obtaing the NY workshop. Looks like we will not be seeing the later episodes of NYW.
Les

That's disappointing.

Surely there are some other shows out there worth seeing that members know about, rather than just inventing a new one? I'll still pass those ideas along, but was hoping we'd be able to recommend some existing ones as well.

joez
16th June 2006, 12:12 PM
I think anything from the woodworking channel would be worth considering. http://thewoodworkingchannel.com/

But the other issue they need to address is the frequency at which they update their episodes/series... Even the best shows get boring after seeing it half a dozen times.

joez

Stuart
16th June 2006, 02:15 PM
My input:

I don't know of specific shows, but the videos made by Taunton Press are excellent, so wonder if the demonstrators in them have gone onto other shows that could be found?

Such as Gary Rogowski, who also did the Jet video series, which is also excellent.
Richard Raffan - turning
Mark Duginske - 4th generation US woodworker who is also the author of a number of excellent books

There are a couple of profiles- Sam Maloof and Tage Frid - there must be other things about them out there (not including the piece on ABC a couple of days ago).

Will see what else I can come up with - more along the lines of shows, rather than DVDs, but at least these are very watchable, and informative.

I like the idea of profiles of real woodworkers, and not just master craftsmen. There is a mass of talent in this country which would be very interesting seen documented.

To drop a few more names of master craftsmen in Australia
Neil Ellis, (and his giant lathe!), Terry Gordon - handplane maker (www.hntgordon.com.au (http://www.hntgordon.com.au)) & Colen Clenton, etc etc. I'm sure the list could become huge, and with a 60 minute doc. on each, there's a season of shows on its own.

(Not meaning to insult anyone, particularly on this board, by leaving them out of this list. This is just a couple of very quick examples off the top of my head).

Stuart
19th June 2006, 04:34 PM
bump

iwarb
20th June 2006, 12:22 AM
Has the How to Channel ever given a good reason why they cant obtain any other copies of Norm Abrams and the NYW. The programs been running for almost 20 years.
I wonder if they think that the Russel Morash production company is charging too much per episode with repeat rights. The How to Channel is sadly misjudging the popularity of this show, if they quibble about the relatively small ammount they have to pay per episode. I'll bet that their Aussie version will cost much more if shot with the same production values and on Digi Beta , rather than the reality way with handheld mini DV's and no ideas.

Time to put the pressure on again, fellas.

Another show of possible interest is "The Router Workshop" and can be seen on the Wood Work Channel. www.thewoodworkingchannel.com
Not quite fine woodworking, but very interesting just the same.

Ian