PDA

View Full Version : Small inboards

TK1
15th June 2006, 09:18 PM
Hi,

I have narrowed my plans search down to a small 'putt-putt' or harbour launch / motorised launch type of boat.

So, where does one go in AU (particularly Victoria if possible) to find small (and preferably antique / classic) inboards. Not after a huge HP thing for a speedy gentleman's runabout, but more small launch or putt-putt inboards. Petrol or diesel (still may look at electric).

Will be getting along to a WBA meeting at the end of the month (finally :) ) but any pointers in the mentime appreciated.

Thanks,
Darren
Melbourne

PS Have rebuilt old Land Rover and Range Rovers so mucking about with old engines that leak oil doesn't scare me. Happy to restore one.

bitingmidge
15th June 2006, 09:46 PM
Blaxland-Chapman Engines were still being made at least until recently, although in NSW! :eek:

Try

Blaxland Chapman Marine Company
Nyeena Avenue, Bensville, NSW 2251
Telephone: 02 43682201

Cheers,

P

graemet
15th June 2006, 10:13 PM
You didn't mention STEAM!!

fxst
15th June 2006, 11:49 PM
also try Duck Flat in adelaide they seem to aquire them at times
Pete

TK1
16th June 2006, 09:42 AM
Hi,

Thanks Midge, I get to NSW regularly so will check out Blaxland (will call first to check they're still in business!).

I see engines on the Duck Flat site occaisionally, so keep an eye on that and when I get to that point may see if they can source one, failing other efforts and things popping up in the 'boats for sale' magazines/websites.

Graemet - I love the idea of steam, just not (a) making and/or maintaining the steam engine; (b) having to tend it as we motor along; and (c) taking up most of a small boat with engine/boiler...very romantic option but not practical in my eyes as I'm more interested in the boat than what powers it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Regards,
Darren

jmk89
16th June 2006, 11:14 AM
Darren

The last issue of Australian Amateur Boatbuilder featured my cousin, John Draper, and his steamer Flamin' Galah (bloody well named , both for the boat and for John). He built the steam engine himself by adapting parts that he collected and installed it in a lightweight Sharpie hull that he inherited from his Dad (my Uncle). It actually seesms to go..:D
If you are interested in the idea then it might be worthwhile getting a copy.... (If you can't find one, I would be happy to post a photocopy) - PM me if you want one.

Cheers

Jeremy

onthebeachalone
16th June 2006, 11:42 AM
Darren
It actually seesms to go..:D I hope it doesn't go BANG! :o

If you are interested in the idea then it might be worthwhile getting a copy.... (If you can't find one, I would be happy to post a photocopy) - PM me if you want one. It was a good read. Very enterprising. Amazing how much some people can do with how little.

TK1
16th June 2006, 04:03 PM
Hi,

I have the AABB that you're referring to - agree it was a great read!

Yes, steam is possible but I'd prefer something smaller that can be located in a central / small engine box rather than sharing most of the boat with the mechanics of making it go.

I'd go for sail but plan on doing a bit of river exploring where there either may not be much wind or a centreboard / mast may not be practical, which has partly influenced my decision on a small motor launch.

Regards,
Darren

Auld Bassoon
16th June 2006, 07:26 PM
Have you phoned/ferreted around boatyards?

Back in Jersey yonks ago a mate had a 23' (I think) carvel built double ender with a SABB (not Saab) one lunger Diesel that was started with something very much like a shotgun cartridge (obviously with no shot in it!). It would "doof doof doof" along forever - at an otherworldly 5Kts :)

Boatmik
16th June 2006, 10:49 PM
Hi,

I have narrowed my plans search down to a small 'putt-putt' or harbour launch / motorised launch type of boat.

If you are considering building a launch - David Payne has plans for a 20ftr Cinema - based on the lines of the first Licenced Fishing Boat in Sydney.

He also has some smaller ones around the 16 and 18ft mark - and pretty and right looking indeed they are. Most people build them in Timber Strip. But clencher (ie clinker) would be fine if you know a little about that method.

MIK

Wild Dingo
17th June 2006, 01:11 PM
aahh yes Cinema... 18ft indeed a beautiful wee boat Billy Fisher designed built 1920d using Kauri and baten seam carvel construction... half cab on steam bent huon pine... canvas decks and large cockpit to carry catch...as to motor originally Cinema had a beecraft petrol engine but that was replaced in the 40s with a Simplex 5HP... Fisher himself didnt use plans but rather set up moulds at points (stations) where he considered it would come out right was right to his eye and what the owner wanted etc

(notes above taken from Australian Wooden Boats Vol 1 By the Woodenboat Assoc of NSW ISBN 0 646 14012 4)

Cinema would be one of the highest small boats on my list of Australian designs I want to build... But as Ive discussed before regarding the above book and Aussie designs in particular nothing is stated where one can get hold of the friggin plans!...

Interesting I havent had a good read of that book for awhile now and to go back over the designs in there the Payne family were actually quite prolific werent they? Interesting... Now if they could tuck the bum of Nocturne up give the wee girl a nicer wee transom extent the stem a wee bit she would have a great chance of being a more approriate choice for me than the American and European ones... as is shes sweet but a few wee touches and she would be perfect

Mik you say Davids got the plans for Cinema? I read that he took the lines for the book... how do I contact him? THIS IS A SET I MUST HAVE!

I would also like to know where one can get the plans for Ranger if anyone knows!~ Again the blasted book doesnt say

TK1
17th June 2006, 01:47 PM
Dingo,

Duck Flat have plans for David's Cinema on their site:

http://www.duckflatwoodenboats.com/mainpages/gallery?KID=27 (I hope the link works). An 18', may have the 20' one too?

Certainly on my shortlist for a small launch. Nice looking boat, I must agree - and Aussie too :)

Just at the point of measuring the shed now, and deciding how to rearrange it, to know how big a boat I can make - certainly limited to 20' but 17' or less would be a bit more manageable. Will let you know what i decide on!

Regards,
Darren

Wild Dingo
17th June 2006, 04:15 PM
Bloody hell!! I really must get around the net more! :D Its been ages since I was over there having a gander and last time there was nothing of Davids on the site... mmm okay what other changes have occured since I last visited... sigh see yer in a few... hours!!! :D

Cheers for that Darren mate :cool:

Hey!! No fair!! Price $275.00 for the plans of the 6mtr version but no price for the smaller one? aahh the cost of an email eh! ;)

bitingmidge
17th June 2006, 04:46 PM
Bloody hell!! I really must get around the net more!
No need. Just stop yer coughing and wheezing and spluttering up phlegm long enough to read all of Mik's posts!!

I'm sure over on that other one, he suggested that you get in touch with David at the Maritime Museum in Sydney, and somewhere there I know I've posted his web address a few times too!!! ;)

http://www.payneyachts.com/

Cheers,

P:D

Boatmik
17th June 2006, 07:42 PM
No need. Just stop yer coughing and wheezing and spluttering up phlegm long enough to read all of Mik's posts!!

I'm sure over on that other one, he suggested that you get in touch with David at the Maritime Museum in Sydney, and somewhere there I know I've posted his web address a few times too!!! ;)

http://www.payneyachts.com/

Cheers,

P:D
As far as Ranger goes ... as small discursion here - I spent about two years racing and cruising on Lou D'Alpugets Cherub a Cliff Gale Ranger 24 modified slightly by then Bob Millar.

Or should I say - slight mod to the underbody - cutting out section of the keel aft to get rid of some wetted surface - and a big change to the rig - Bermudan Rig - Aluminium mast - that bit is perhaps a bit sad.

But still a wonderful little yacht.

Built by I think Bill Barnett completely of mahogany.

With a displacement of 5 1/2 tonnes she kept her way up rather well when the wind dropped out in the lulls.

One of Cliff Gale's sons is pivotal at the Sydney Amatuer's Sailing Club in Mosman Bay and still owns Ranger. There is a Ranger Association I believe.

Contact one of the office holders at
http://www.sasc.com.au/personalities.htm

And ask for a contact.

David Payne may have quite a bit of information and maybe even plans at the National Maritime Museum in Sydney (I look forward to the day we have a National Maritime Museum in every capital!!!). He did most of the drawings and filling in of details for that book (as I mentioned before)

And how about this snippet lifted from the Aus Classic Yacht Association Website

RANGER WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS - SYDNEY
March 19, 2006
Every year this special event is held to celebrate Cliff Gale's unique Ranger design. Contact Sydney Amateur Sailing Club for futher details... www.sasc.com.au (http://www.sasc.com.au/)

MIK

Collo
2nd August 2006, 04:40 PM
Hi all,
I'm a new boy, retired and about to begin a 27 foot St Pierre Dory. I'm looking for an Aust agent for Sabb diesels. The cartridge starter system (I understand is no longer in use), is called the Kaufmann system and was used in very large aero engines such as those made by Napier. It uses expanding gasses to get things mooving, where the requires equivalent electric motor would have to be of the order of 50 hp.
Another small inboard that (unlike the Blaxland Chapman) is not a two-stroke is the Simplex, made by Hardman and Hall, try www.shannonboats.com.au/engines.htm (http://www.shannonboats.com.au/engines.htm) and have your sound switched on. Simplex used to manufacture a 12 hp twin, but I think that has died.
cheers,
Collo

Wild Dingo
3rd August 2006, 02:44 AM
Well I will say just this one thing as I know almost zero about motors of any sort...

Gidday and welcome Collo :cool:

Boatmik
3rd August 2006, 11:14 AM
Wow Dingo,

That's something else we have in common!!!!

Though I can usually recognise one by sound.

(Just follow the swearing)

MIK

Wild Dingo
3rd August 2006, 04:05 PM
aahhh Mik mate I cant even do that!!!

I do however love the sound of a wee putput engine on a boat or even a what I think they call a "single lung" in a workboat you know the kthunk kthunk kthunk noise... LOVE IT!! cant abide many others the big motors remind me to much of work (trucks you know?) and the outboards well theyre just ruddy noisy give me the pleasant sound of sails anyday

oooops sorry about the wee hyjack :o

Just had a read back through the thread and someone else said "doof doof doof" thats the noise!! :cool: kthunk? really Shane get it right!:rolleyes:

Beavis
16th January 2007, 10:22 PM
I'm have a 6.5Hp four stroke Honda in my 14er and it goes beautifully. It has 2 : 1 reduction gearing and a centrifugal clutch. The only problem I have is the hard coupling to the prop shaft which sends vibration to the stern gland, mainly due to it being a slant motor.
Still, it starts first time, runs economically on ULP and I get to use the boat rather then muck around with the antique motor.
Cost: $1070 with gearbox and clutch, plus installation.

Boatmik
17th January 2007, 01:14 AM
Howdy Beavis,

Was that price for the Honda a list price?

Do you have a model number?

MIK

Boatmik
17th January 2007, 01:23 AM
It's OK, Just found them

http://www.honda-engines.com/engines/gx200.htm

More sizes on the right of that page

MIK

Marc
22nd January 2007, 06:01 PM
Hi,

So, where does one go in AU (particularly Victoria if possible) to find small (and preferably antique / classic) inboards. Not after a huge HP thing for a speedy gentleman's runabout, but more small launch or putt-putt inboards. Petrol or diesel (still may look at electric).

Will be getting along to a WBA meeting at the end of the month (finally :) ) but any pointers in the mentime appreciated.

Thanks,
Darren
Melbourne

PS Have rebuilt old Land Rover and Range Rovers so mucking about with old engines that leak oil doesn't scare me. Happy to restore one.

Here is a nice small Kubota engine marinized in OZ
http://www.wm-marine-diesel.com/wmmarine.htm

hansp77
22nd January 2007, 10:52 PM
Hello Darren,
if you don't already know it you might want to check out
oldmarineengine.com (http://www.oldmarineengine.com/)

I have a 60 yr old 8hp stuart turner P55 in my 30ft sailboat and have gotten a lot of help and advice on that site. there are quite a few Australian members and quite often engines for sale.

I am learning to love my engine. slowly.:D

Marc
24th January 2007, 04:56 PM
Simplex still manufactures both models the one and the two cylinders, 6 and 12 HP. Give them a call, all still made in good old OZ.

Marc
27th January 2007, 09:13 PM
Here is another 12HP Petter. Big monster 1.2 meters long .650m hight

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Petter-12-hp-marine-diesel-engine_W0QQitemZ170071986429QQihZ007QQcategoryZ26451QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And then there is the good old Chineese replica. I wonder how bad or good they at this stage. They are certainly cheap if compared to kubota or john deer.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/30kW-40hp-NEW-MARINE-DIESEL-ENGINE-GEARBOX_W0QQitemZ160078072996QQihZ006QQcategoryZ26451QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Taz2
9th February 2007, 04:32 PM
Strange you should mention Nocturne.
She's up for sale on eBay!!
Now if only I could find where I left that few thousand I had spare.......