PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom window exhaust fan

enfz
16th June 2006, 03:06 AM
Does anyone know where in Perth I can buy a window exhaust fan cheaply? Been to a few Bunnings, all they have are the ceiling exhaust fans. Also for bathroom window, who would you recommend to get a "window" done up with holes for the fan?

Thanks alot :)

GraemeCook
16th June 2006, 05:48 PM
I put window fans in bathroom and laundry some years ago.

Any electrical wholesaler will stock window fans. Usually better quality and prices than the warehouse barns.

Any glazier will be able to supply the glass and cut the panel to size including the circular hole. He will also ensure that it complies with standards - from memory, I think the glass must be 5mm or thicker.

Alternatively you can replace the glass with polycarbonate (Lexan) and cut it yourself with a jigsaw. However Lexan, whilst so strong it is used as bullet proof glass, will scratch fairly easily.

When you put in the fan you might like to consider wiring it in parallel to the lights so that the light switch operates both the light and the fan. People tend to forget the fan and leave it running, but always switch the lights off. The separate switch on the fan means you can switch it off when the lights are on if you want.

Cheers

Graeme

Simomatra
16th June 2006, 05:57 PM
I put window fans in bathroom and laundry some years ago.

Any electrical wholesaler will stock window fans. Usually better quality and prices than the warehouse barns.

Any glazier will be able to supply the glass and cut the panel to size including the circular hole. He will also ensure that it complies with standards - from memory, I think the glass must be 5mm or thicker.

Alternatively you can replace the glass with polycarbonate (Lexan) and cut it yourself with a jigsaw. However Lexan, whilst so strong it is used as bullet proof glass, will scratch fairly easily.

When you put in the fan you might like to consider wiring it in parallel to the lights so that the light switch operates both the light and the fan. People tend to forget the fan and leave it running, but always switch the lights off. The separate switch on the fan means you can switch it off when the lights are on if you want.
Cheers

Graeme
As Graeme says http://www.ubeaut.biz/iagree.gif

The electrical wholesaler also sell a switch which turns the lights and the fan on and when the lights are switched off the fan contiues to run for a adjustable time after. Sorry I cann't remember the part number

atregent
16th June 2006, 06:00 PM
Clipsal also make an automatic bathroom fan that has a humidity sensor so it only turns on when it's needed.

mic-d
16th June 2006, 06:25 PM
Wow this is great timing, sorry to hijack, but do you know of one that would fit in a glass block wall?

Cheers
Michael

atregent
17th June 2006, 09:54 AM
Not sure exactly about the mounting of them, I haven't really looked into them that much yet, just something I came across looking at their web site.
http://www.clipsal.com.au/consumer/products/DandC_Elec/Lights_Fans/exhaust_fans

The also have a timer that will run a fan for a set time after you turn it off, great for the loo.

There's a also brochure on their site about the smart fans http://www.clipsal.com.au/consumer/downloads/brochures

enfz
18th June 2006, 02:12 AM
Thanks alot everyone. Will try and suss out some of the electrical wholesalers, anyone recommends any in Perth? :)