PDA

View Full Version : Home made jerryrigging

Jenny Brandis
16th June 2006, 01:19 PM
As some of you may already have read, I recently bought a Scroll Chuck and Pin Jaws with the intention of using them to hold the very small blanks for lace bobbins, only to find that the pin jaws were a fraction too big even when fully closed. Back to the drawing board.

The saga continues

It was such a small fraction that I was very frustrated until I was opening a sticky jar when the lightbulb went off! Ah! grabbing the shears I trimmed a 15 x 25 mm piece off the grip stuff (looks sort of like dripped plastic in sheets) and wrapped that around the end of the blank.

Success, it gave enough extra dimention to fit and because of its gripping ability it is very secure, even with just 10mm in the pin jaw.

I have now made two bobbins using this method and am very pleased with myself.

The new Jet Mini lathe has a rather wide (for me) tool steady and I wanted it to be smaller so that it would fit between the pin jaw and the end stock without rubbing. What to do.

Options:
Get someone to cut the ends off the existing one
Get someone to make a new one, with narrow head
Make my own

Up went a branch on the lathe, reminder to self - buy a better gouge, rough shape it to round. Make a cut down with the parting tool at the headstock end to mark of the offcut, 100 mm up to mark off the end of the stem and start gouging - reminder to self - BUY A BETTER GOUGE

Once the stem was shaped and the right diameter, cut it off the lathe and go to the bandsaw - scarry!

DH came to the rescue there and trimmed the large unshaped bit to my specifications.

I now have a tool rest that works for me. The next one I make will be wider as I overdid the 'smaller' idea but it does work!

Now back to the lathe.:)

lubbing5cherubs
16th June 2006, 01:42 PM
Haha that sounds like me. Something I want to brave but something is definitely a hubby rescue. I am glad he is understanding. I am having another go at a bowl. I love to get really advantageous and do one of those bowls with the lids. Hmm. One day I get to see someone make one. I have no idea.
or I might try on a hunk of wood don't care that cracks but I would.
Toni

Gil Jones
16th June 2006, 01:43 PM
Sounds like you are having fun! Where are the pics of all your adventures? Not sure what kind of scroll chuck/pin jaws you have. When I run my pin jaws full closed, I would be hard pressed to get .200" (5.08mm) in the remaining opening.

arose62
16th June 2006, 04:11 PM
And I want to know what "DH" stands for:confused:

Somehow I don't think that what I'm thinking is what you're meaning...

Also, I read an article about a Holtzapfel (sp??) armrest once (by Bill Jones, perhaps?) and used the idea when turning a small gavel recently.

I just used a small skew chisel as a tool rest for my miniature turning tools, by resting it on the full-size tool rest, and trapping the handle under my left arm. This gave me a firm-enough edge close to the work, as the normal toolrest was way too big to get in close.

If this doesn't make sense, I'll post a pic.

Cheers,
Andrew

TimberNut
16th June 2006, 04:41 PM
Andrew,

unless I'm way off the mark here, I think you will find that "DH" refers to "darling husband" and definately not any other thing that you may have been considering.

lubbing5cherubs
16th June 2006, 04:46 PM
DH is dear or darling husband yep. Them great guys in our life most of the time.
Toni

jmk89
16th June 2006, 04:53 PM
[quote=lubbing5cherubs] I love to get really advantageous and do one of those bowls with the lids. Hmm. One day I get to see someone make one.[quote]
Toni

I take it that you don't mean advantageous (although as a DH to someone, I would be quite happy for her to take advantage of me) - I assume that you mean adventurous - which is what we all are the moment we start playing with wood.

RETIRED
16th June 2006, 09:04 PM
Home made jerryrigging Don't you mean Jennyrigging?:D

lubbing5cherubs
16th June 2006, 11:36 PM
I take it that you don't mean advantageous (although as a DH to someone, I would be quite happy for her to take advantage of me) - I assume that you mean adventurous - which is what we all are the moment we start playing with wood.

Definitely adventurous. Great pick up.. teach me not to proofread. Lack of sleep had a child flown out with suspected brain anurism, or head fracture. MInd not quite function the best. Good night sleep tonight will freshen things up. Sorry
Toni

Jenny Brandis
16th June 2006, 11:42 PM
Definitely adventurous. Great pick up.. teach me not to proofread. Lack of sleep had a child flown out with suspected brain anurism, or head fracture. MInd not quite function the best. Good night sleep tonight will freshen things up. Sorry
Toni

Toni! The child is ok now? Are you ok?

lubbing5cherubs
16th June 2006, 11:50 PM
HI Jenny, Thanks besides a headache and a heamatoma that is between the forehead skin and the skull not the brain. Out of all the stories they were suspecting this was a positive results. We are releived. and glad to have our baby home ( she go mad on me she is 8 year old but she still one of my baby). This happened wednesday morning we drove to Townsville and they treated her til 4pm yesterday then we drove back home last night. It was 7 hour drive but it was nice to be bringing our baby home with us. IT scared us but we are relieved.
Thanks Toni

Gil Jones
17th June 2006, 10:29 AM
Prayers on the way up!!