PDA

View Full Version : Drumsander

Garell
16th June 2006, 02:57 PM
Hi all

I have been looking at the threads about drumsanders on the forum. I was looking at the PLANSNOW website, and they have plans for a build your own drumsander. The plan was offered in the SHOPNOTES issue No86. I was wondering if any one has that patucular issue and if the plans are worth getting. Or would I be better of building one from scratch out of my head.

The link to the plan information is here http://www.plansnow.com/dn3078.html

I look forward to your input.

Regards Jamie

ozwinner
16th June 2006, 06:45 PM
Hi.
I made one some time ago basicly from ideas from this forum and stuff I dreamed up.

The one from plans now looks to be too small to be of any real use, unless you make models or something.

Get in touch with Sturdee who is a member here, he has an assortment of plans for these things.

Al :)

Auld Bassoon
16th June 2006, 07:47 PM
Hi.
I made one some time ago basicly from ideas from this forum and stuff I dreamed up.

G'day Al,

What sort of feed stock arrangement did you end up with? Power or manual? I think that I've seen your "Death Machine" but can't recall...

ozwinner
16th June 2006, 08:12 PM
G'day Al,

What sort of feed stock arrangement did you end up with? Power or manual? I think that I've seen your "Death Machine" but can't recall...

Ahhh, yes, the Whirring Machine of Death..:p

I used the pushem through wid my mitts arrangement.
I would imagine you would have to get the feed rate and ammount of stock taken off in one pass, just so, if you wanted to use a power feed.
Where as if it is manual you can back off on the stock feed rate.

The problem I had with the WMD ( for Wood Butcher ) was the speed at which the drum rotated, I had a 1440 RPM motor and I think I should have gone for a faster motor, but it was off my mixer so it was cheap. :p :o

Al :)

Auld Bassoon
16th June 2006, 08:20 PM
:D

What speed did you end up running the drum at Al?

The Powermax & Jet machines seem to use between 1600 ~ 1700 RPM - I'm going to try a 1:1 ratio to the motor wich means 2850rpm - too fast I think, but a simple pulley adjustment will cure that (if it doesn't "cure" me first :eek:)

ozwinner
16th June 2006, 08:30 PM
:D

What speed did you end up running the drum at Al?

The Powermax & Jet machines seem to use between 1600 ~ 1700 RPM - I'm going to try a 1:1 ratio to the motor wich means 2850rpm - too fast I think, but a simple pulley adjustment will cure that (if it doesn't "cure" me first :eek:)

I did work this out once but have since forgoton, but the pulley on the 1440 rpm motor was about 50mm and the pulley on the drum was about 100mm, the drum was about 250mm.

Al :confused:

Auld Bassoon
16th June 2006, 08:45 PM
That would mean that your drum was rotating at around 720rpm, but with a much bigger than normal drum.

Without doing the maths, those numbers seem, in my head, to be about 2.2 times faster in terms of mm/sec rotation speed on my 140mm drum at 2850rpm than yours. I'm a bit concerned that I might be going too fast.

So, was you ratio ok, too fast or too slow?

ozwinner
16th June 2006, 08:51 PM
So, was you ratio ok, too fast or too slow?

Way too slow, but I had to keep the motor pulley as I stuck it back on my mixer from time to time.

Al :p

Auld Bassoon
16th June 2006, 09:03 PM
Way too slow, but I had to keep the motor pulley as I stuck it back on my mixer from time to time.

Al :p

Thanks Mate!

I'll go the motor:drum ratio of 1:1 - but if you see a screaming Auld Bassoon hurtling over the horizon followed by a flaming trail of timber and drum sander bits - I'll blame YOU :D

What are the EXACT coordinates of the Craporium? :D :D