PDA

View Full Version : Laminating is addictive

powderpost
17th June 2006, 03:13 PM
This one is a bit different from the others. The bottom is a standard laminated ring format but the top, now that is different. The top was drawn up on a piece of ply the pieces cut, something like a jigsaw and glued up progressively. Even developed a special one off chuck to finally turn the top. The whole thing took three weeks, including waiting for glue to dry.
Jim

Slow6
17th June 2006, 03:20 PM
ffs.. that is almost too good.

Wood Butcher
17th June 2006, 04:08 PM
So Jim, how many prizes have you won so far with these and if you haven't...
Enter the damn things into a show or something cause you will win!

Absolutely fantastic work!

lubbing5cherubs
18th June 2006, 12:12 AM
Jim that is a great effort. I am impressed can you share with me how do you laminate a bowl like that? Is that all different kinds of wood together? What sort of glue did you use? I apologise for all the questions but I love to do that is just so classy. It fascinates me.
Toni

hughie
18th June 2006, 01:21 AM
Jim,
Very spectacular effort. If you have the time, share with us your technique. I have had a go at a couple of segmented bowls and would not mind a few pointers.
hughie

Farnk
18th June 2006, 10:00 AM
That's an amazing peice Jim!

I visited the Maroondah turning club with Andy and the topic of the night was laminated turning, it looks like a very rewarding technique.

I'll give it a go when I've come up with a jig to square up the faces of the bits and peices that I've got laying about the shed!

ss_11000
18th June 2006, 01:38 PM
absolutely brilliant piece of work

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th June 2006, 07:24 PM
I visited the Maroondah turning club with Andy and the topic of the night was laminated turning, it looks like a very rewarding technique.

Les turned the blank he glued up and brought it in for the next meet. You wouldn't have picked that it'd just been glued'n'lapped without clamping.

Not in the same class as Jims' work, of course, but good results just the same. One step at a time ... :)

TTIT
19th June 2006, 12:12 AM
Now you really are just showing off Jim! Absolutely beautiful :D:D:D You've really outdone yourself with that one.;)

So when are we going to see some WIP shots - I can't figure where you would start with a piece like that:o.

Gil Jones
19th June 2006, 12:39 AM
Great segmenting work!

powderpost
21st June 2006, 10:29 PM
Geez, it's good to be home. Had to spend the weekend in the company of my favourite mother-in-law. You all know who slew the dragon don't you? Well this old bag slew St. George... she would too. :D Any way we are back home and the nice comments have given me a swollen head. :o I must also remind you of a comment I heard Ron Barassi make, "In your life you will make two statements, opposite but both are correct. 'I can't do that' and the other was, 'I can do that'. Now go and start laminating. Some of the nicest pieces I have made were in fact rectified stuff ups. This last one was inspired by a piece of pottery, made by an Indian from the S. W. USA. Must admit it took two tries to get it close. Sorry folks, I didn't take any progressive photos. The most helpful piece of gear I have was a Kreg mitre jig bought only recently. Before that I used dedicated shop made mitre gauges, specifically for each number of segments needed for each ring. The Kreg is very accurate, and a tad expensive.
And the visit required five hours driving each way
Jim