PDA

View Full Version : Don't do this

Rod Smith
22nd March 2000, 03:33 PM
Yesterday whilst conducting a known dangerous cut on my table saw (cutting 12 " x 4 " x 1" on edge into 2 wedges using a jig) I did some major damage to my left index finger. I finished the cut, and pushed the jig with 1 wedge through the saw, then removed the other wedge which was sitting right along side the blade. I must have put my finger around the back and contacted the blade cause I was suddenly the owner of a very unnattractive finger (last 2 sections). The plastic surgeon said that it is a very challenging repair as lots of flesh and most of the nail bed are missing, the bones have been sawn along the length and the tendon also cut, but not completely. He said lets just put it back together and see what happens. How much use I get out of it will
probably depend on how determined I am in the rehab of it he said. The middle finger also was damaged but not too bad. This accident was entirely my own fault and I have called myself every kind idiot many times. Lessons for the day. Knock off at the end of a long day when it occurs to you that you should. Don't think that you can do an hours work in 30 mins so its worth "going for it". If you can see that a task is dangerous, stop and spend the time to make it safe as practicable. Hang on, I already knew all that? I am an idiot. Rod

------------------

RETIRED
22nd March 2000, 09:41 PM
Gooday.

Rod, from your description I would say that your saw Blade needs sharpening. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Hope you get better soon.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

Rod Smith
23rd March 2000, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the sympathy your a real humanitarian. Anyway, I had the blade sharpened specially for the occassion (not the finger). see ya. Rod

ubeaut
23rd March 2000, 03:03 PM
Sorry to hear about the misshap Rod

But cheer up. The worst bit hasn't happened yet. That will come every time you think about what you did. You will get cold shivers up and down the spine or so they tell me and I believe it's even worse if your wife laughs every time you mention it.

At the end of each day I count my fingers and toes and am thankful that I am only down to 10 of each. Any less and I would not feel whole. One more lump of wood in the eye though and I could be a one eyed woodie.

Safety first. Eat it, breath it, talk it, sleep it. DO IT!!! A little wake-up call for all of us.

Cheers mate.
Neil

PenRex
10th April 2000, 10:48 AM
Man alive !! !! !!

What a caring sharing bunch we are. . . .

mwuhahahahahaha !!! !! !!!

------------------
Dear Lord,
May my Woodworking someday aspire
to be as good as my Darts,
and vice-versa. . . .

Rex