PDA

View Full Version : BP16A new model improvements

woodbe
17th June 2006, 06:47 PM
Hi,

I was just on H&F's website, and I noticed that they have made some improvements to the BP16A:

* New Fence

* Rack and Pinion Top guide height adjustment

* Euro Guides (whatever they are)

* Microswitches on the doors

has anyone seen it? I wonder if the rack and the new guides are an improvement, and if they could be retro-fitted. I've sent off an email to find out.

woodbe.

himzol
18th June 2006, 09:36 PM
No comment just want to track this thread for when you get an answer.

H.

martrix
19th June 2006, 12:34 AM
Hi,

I was just on H&F's website, and I noticed that they have made some improvements to the BPI:

* New Fence

* Rack and Pinion Top guide height adjustment

* Euro Guides (whatever they are)

* Micro switches on the doors

has anyone seen it? I wonder if the rack and the new guides are an improvement, and if they could be retro-fitted. I've sent off an email to find out.

woodbe.

Yep, my newish BP 16A has got the new bits.

The rack and pinion top guide height adjustment is pretty handy. You just loosen off the lock wheel, then turn the handle to adjust to required cutting height. What did they have before this?

New fence is, well, like most generic Chinese jobs, pretty light and slightly flimsy, but still does the job.. Like all of this Asian machinery, treat it gently, and it will last a long time..

Euro guides:confused: well, they do the job, but are very noisy. I think I will make some timber guides out of snakewood or something similar...old skool:cool: word..

Microswitches...yep they work, but you shouldn't really be opening the doors while it is running anyway.

Any more ? let me know...

.....oh, and anyone watching the soccer tonight? I will be, might be some drunken blithering from me later on, consciousness permitting http://www.ubeaut.biz/beersmiley.gif
http://www.ubeaut.biz/cheers.gifhttp://www.ubeaut.biz/drunk2.gif...........oh no!..Kaka http://www.ubeaut.biz/grrr.gif.....http://www.ubeaut.biz/throwup.gif.....
..wait a minute....Aloisi!!!..http://www.ubeaut.biz/woohoo.gif

TTIT
19th June 2006, 02:00 PM
woodbe.

Don't hold your breath Woodbe - I called them a couple of weeks back about it but nobody seemed to know - nor did they have the inclination to find out for me - still waiting to hear back.

PS: Still interested in the fence???

woodbe
19th June 2006, 02:48 PM
TTIT: Yes, still interested in the fence! I've been looking at alternatives in case you are unable to help though, and there seems to be two: The Kreg, and the Woodhaven. Both well over $100 by the time they get here, and both need mods to fit to the BP16a, but nothing major.

I'm giving H&F a ring now, maybe they'll spark up if they get a bit of interest... Ah, just spoke to Mark, he has my email, and is following up for me. He says he should know in a couple of days. Will post up here if I hear anything.

woodbe.

woodbe
19th June 2006, 03:02 PM
The rack and pinion top guide height adjustment is pretty handy. You just loosen off the lock wheel, then turn the handle to adjust to required cutting height. What did they have before this?They had a locknut and friction :)

New fence is, well, like most generic Chinese jobs, pretty light and slightly flimsy, but still does the job.. Like all of this Asian machinery, treat it gently, and it will last a long time..
Yea, not much changed there, it might be slightly better as the old one was pretty agricultural.

Euro guides:confused: well, they do the job, but are very noisy. I think I will make some timber guides out of snakewood or something similar...old skool:cool: word..

ooh! You have snakewood? :cool:

The problem with the old guides is not that they are noisy, they are fiddly to adjust, and sometimes getting access to the adjustments is difficult. Additionally, the top guides are attached to the rail with a tek screw, things are somewhat loose, and not easily tightened (screw is driven into the end of the aluminium channel) :eek: ...

Microswitches...yep they work, but you shouldn't really be opening the doors while it is running anyway.
Agree with that, you can't be too safe though, especially if anyone else gets into the workshop...

Any more ? let me know...
If you have a camera, could you post some pics of the top and bottom guides, and the height adjuster please? The website photo is pretty vague..

Thanks,

woodbe.

martrix
19th June 2006, 04:45 PM
will dohttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

woodbe
4th July 2006, 07:02 PM
Update...

Had a call from Matt at H&F today. They still don't know, but they just rang to let me know they are working on it. The spare parts dude is away on holidays or something, so we won't know for a little while yet.

That's positive, they rang me :)

Matrix, about those photos...

woodbe.

Auld Bassoon
4th July 2006, 07:28 PM
I can recommend the Kreg precision bandsaw fence. I fitted one to my Electra Beckum just by drilling a couple of 1/4" holes in the table edge and tapping them to take the locating / securing bolts.

The standard EB fence isn't too bad as these standard fitments go, but the Kreg is leagues ahead. It has a micro adjust facility as well.

woodbe
4th July 2006, 07:39 PM
Steve, have you seen the Woodhaven fence, I wonder how it compares with the Kreg?

http://www.woodhaven.com/Images/7280%20lg.jpg

http://www.woodhaven.com/detail.aspx?ID=474

Mik sells them, I don't think there is a distributor for Kreg here...

woodbe.

martrix
4th July 2006, 08:44 PM
Sorry about the delay....been cleaning up, trust me it was a big mess!
Any questions, go right ahead...

Height winder video (http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/iVeneer/?action=view&current=bp16a.flv)

martrix
4th July 2006, 08:45 PM
one more

woodbe
4th July 2006, 10:39 PM
Cool. Thanks Matrix.

Top guide and post look like a great improvement. Lower guide looks to be the same as before. Fence looks to be an improvement too.

Out of all the improvements, the upper guide and post is the pick. The original guide is the weakest part of the machine.

woodbe.

martrix
4th July 2006, 11:15 PM
I am also going to do a mod that will allow me to get close to 300mm of re-saw capacity with a substitute table and custom Pink Ivory blade guides.
Not bad seeing as though you need to spend around $2k to get that much blade height compared to the miserly cost of the BP 16A $720

Ramps
4th July 2006, 11:49 PM
OK overall how do you find the BS with all the mod cons? Any regrets? I know we all want bigger but have many of the current users had a need for something bigger? ... I'm mainly looking to resaw.

TTIT
5th July 2006, 12:47 AM
Sorry about the delay....been cleaning up, trust me it was a big mess!
Any questions, go right ahead...

Thanks for the pics Martrix ! :) BIG improvement on the old model. Any chance of a pic of how the riser bar is mounted/clamped?:confused::o It's that area that's PIA on the old model - can't just attach standard guides without some serious engineering. I'm assuming the orange bit in the pic is just a guard???

rbarnold
13th July 2006, 11:37 PM
Matrix,
Where did you get your updated BP 16A from?
I tried the Clayton branch and they told me they only had the old model prior to the improvements and wouldn't have the modded one till a month after they relocate to Dandenong.
Also are the blade guides either side of the blade bearings or just blocks as I am not familiar with the Euro style at all?
Last, how happy are you with the machine and do you recommend it as a good purchase as against an older stile Jet 14"

Thanks
Roger

martrix
14th July 2006, 01:07 AM
Any chance of a pic of how the riser bar is mounted/clamped?:confused::o It's that area that's PIA on the old model - can't just attach standard guides without some serious engineering. I'm assuming the orange bit in the pic is just a guard???

Yes TTIT, the orange (actually red) part is the guard.
The riser bar is mounted in a casting block. So I assume if you can remove what ever is holding the guide assembly on your older model, it looks like you could possibly mount it in there. I will try and take a pic tomorrow.

Matrix,
Where did you get your updated BP 16A from?
I tried the Clayton branch and they told me they only had the old model prior to the improvements and wouldn't have the modded one till a month after they relocate to Dandenong.
Also are the blade guides either side of the blade bearings or just blocks as I am not familiar with the Euro style at all?
Last, how happy are you with the machine and do you recommend it as a good purchase as against an older stile Jet 14"

Thanks
Roger

Hi Roger, I got my BP 16A from Clayton about three months ago. They are probably just waiting for a new shipment from PROC.
I didn't know they are moving to Dandenong.
The blade guides are kind of round blocks that are free to spin when they contact the blade and are easily adjusted, have a look at the pic.
I don't know much about older Jet bandsaws, but for around $729 I get what I think is a very good quality bandsaw which gives me exactly 220mm height for re-sawing, and 15" deep of throat. What does a Jet give?
I did look around at Carbatec and such before buying, but nothing could match the value for money and capabilities of the BP 16A. I was also swayed by other members here that have one.

mag
14th July 2006, 02:26 PM
I hav e just purchased a BP 16A from Melbourne Hare and Forbes. It was the model with the improvements, and at a doscounted price of $655.

Just need a resaw blade now....

martrix
14th July 2006, 02:36 PM
I have just purchased a BP 16A from Melbourne Hare and Forbes. It was the model with the improvements, and at a discounted price of $655.

Just need a resaw blade now....

Is it the exact same one as mine? nice price!

Any chance of a pic of how the riser bar is mounted/clamped?:confused::o

Here are some pics of how the riser bar is fixed on. Two bolts really, so I guess if the body on the older model is the same or very similar, you should be able to bolt it straight in.

mag
14th July 2006, 06:24 PM
Yes, definately appears to be

TTIT
14th July 2006, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the pics Martrix :) Would be a snap to fit it to the old model. Now the question is, can H&F get the whole assembly and for how much? But then again, I think I can make my own for sweet FA and gain another inch of cutting height in the process. :D The only limiting factor is time - too many projects, too little time!:(

woodbe
20th July 2006, 03:00 PM
Just had contact from Matt at H&F. They have the new model guides on order, stock is expected in 8-10 weeks. Price will be $120 inc GST plus freight. Part number is WP910.

My order is in :)

woodbe.

TTIT
20th July 2006, 03:07 PM
Just had contact from Matt at H&F. They have the new model guides on order, stock is expected in 8-10 weeks. Price will be $120 inc GST plus freight. Part number is WP910.

My order is in :)

woodbe.

Does that include the shaft and clamp arrangement???:) or just the guides???:(

woodbe
20th July 2006, 05:18 PM
As I understand it, it is the rack and pinion assembly and guide, along with instructions on where to drill the new holes for assembly.

I'll fire of a reply to Matt and make sure I have it right. stand By...

Given the flimsy nature of the old guide attachment to the post, this is a welcome upgrade. The old post itself was fine, there is enough friction in the system to make it easy to adjust the height without any nasty surprises.

woodbe

woodbe
25th July 2006, 11:20 PM
Just confirming that the mentioned part number and price includes everything to upgrade an old BP16a to the new guide style.

woodbe

TTIT
26th July 2006, 08:57 AM
Just confirming that the mentioned part number and price includes everything to upgrade an old BP16a to the new guide style.
woodbe

Couldn't have come at a better time !!!;) :D Was cutting some boards last night from a log of something I picked up on the weekend and the back bearing on the top guide got so hot it was smokin'. It had to be so far back to centre the blade that it would not shift sideways far enough to spin properly (if that makes sense - I know what I mean!).

Have you actually fitted yours yet Woodbe???

woodbe
14th December 2006, 08:17 PM
Not yet, it appears my order was lost. Have to start again... Letme know how easy it is to install TTIT please...

woodbe.

zymurgy
19th January 2007, 01:54 PM

woodbe

I just received my 'upgrade', but the photcopy for measurements / hole sizing is so poor, I can't read it.

Anyone who has done this have the measurements?

TTIT
20th January 2007, 12:27 AM
I just received my 'upgrade', but the photcopy for measurements / hole sizing is so poor, I can't read it.

Anyone who has done this have the measurements?
The main measurements are on this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=42390) Zymurgy. If you need any more info just PM me.

zymurgy
20th January 2007, 12:57 AM
The main measurements are on this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=42390) Zymurgy. If you need any more info just PM me.

Thanks TTIT.