PDA

View Full Version : Ledafruit

Farnk
17th June 2006, 07:32 PM
<HR style="COLOR: #c0aa94" SIZE=1>
<!-- / icon and title -->Well, after seeing other post their efforts and enjoying their creativity, I thought that I'd post a couple of pics of the first bowl to emerge from the shed after the arrival of the leda.

It's a gift for the father in law and came from a piece of redgum waste timber. I sanded it down to 600 grit and finished with a basic beeswax rub. The shape is fairly basic as the grain is intended to be the feature.

He was sure that I'd never get anything useful when I raided his woodpile!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th June 2006, 10:14 PM
G'day Fnark, they didn't work. :(

If ya want help posting 'em again, send me a PM for more info. (So we don't end up hijacking yer own thread. ;) )

Edit: Alls well that ends well. :) "Waste" redgum? WASTE redgum?? No such thing! Go wash your mouth out! :D Lovely bowl BTW, it's good to see that you've got a grip on things. That's some lovely grain in the bottom, makes an effective contrast.

He was sure that I'd never get anything useful when I raided his woodpile!

It's just as well you're not a pen-turner... 'cos then he wouldn't have a woodpile left! :D

Farnk
17th June 2006, 10:39 PM
So with that one done and ready for the FIL, I then 'turned' to the 1st bowl I ever turned, this was done on the GMC and was quite horrible. SWMBO liked it, gouge marks and all.

Something had to be done, so back on the lathe and we finish with this..
Very hard, dry old bit of redgum. There's a flaw (grub hole methinks!) in the timber that went right through the centre of the bowl. I like it for that flaw.

anyhoo, pix.

La truciolara
18th June 2006, 01:30 AM
Besides being very nice turnings (congratulation) this wood is superb ! Unfortunately we do not find any round here in Italy.
Yours resemble very much “pink Ivory” Is it some of it?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

ss_11000
18th June 2006, 01:26 PM
great work, the redgum looks superb

Caveman
18th June 2006, 04:59 PM
Hey Farnk - good work - both pieces, I like the 2nd one more (your 1st bowl (re-turned)) - a nice unique profile.

Farnk
18th June 2006, 10:13 PM
Thanks everyone!

The outer profile of the second bowl was intended to be a single sweeping curve, however this would have made it much too thin. I remembered some words of wisdom imparted to me years ago:

"What you can't hide, turn into a feature!"

The idea was to have a 'second rim' which would be in just the right spot for hands holding the bowl.

I've not heard of 'Pink Ivory' before this is redgum, about as australian as wood can get! From looking on the web, redgum and pink Ivory appear to be quite similar.

Anyway, thanks again for your comments, back to the shed for me, nothing on the box tonight!