PDA

View Full Version : Happy Hippo Family puzzle

Buzza
17th June 2006, 10:18 PM
I've all but finished this puzzle of six hippos. I've painted the features, but will finish in clear. What's a safe clear finish for kids besides Castor Oil.:D

Buzza

AlexS
18th June 2006, 01:43 PM
Looks good. Most clear finishes are OK once they've dried. What's the material?

oges
18th June 2006, 04:04 PM
Looks excellent, did you do the pattern yourself?

Buzza
18th June 2006, 07:01 PM
The wood is pine I think AlexS, 50x250mm. I used a fine pinned blade on my old GMC, and just took my time. I didn't sand it down too much, as that would make the kerf seem to get wider on the stacked hippo's.

Spray varnish will do for the finish then.

Brett, I saw a picture of it and showed my daughter-in-law. She grabbed a pencil and an A4 sheet of paper, and drew it for me in seconds.

You'll note in the stacked picture, there are five hippos, but pulled down, there are six. That's what got my attention at first. Either the little baby or the next baby up in size, is sawed down the middle vertically to make twins.

We are talking about young children here, but adults like it as well, and it makes a good shelf item. Most people think the secret twin is a cute idea.

Thanks for commenting,

Buzza.

robbiewy
18th June 2006, 08:32 PM
I love them well my grand-daughter would. They look to be a good size for little ones.

Stuart
18th June 2006, 10:09 PM
Triton wood oil (Organoil hard burnishing oil) - it is food-safe.

Buzza
21st June 2006, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the tip Stuart. I had a look at your occipital hypertrophy web by the way, and you have some great work there.

Buzza.