PDA

View Full Version : Soap on Machinery

John Saxton
30th June 2000, 11:31 PM
A tip passed on to me today, to reduce friction on your saw bench's planers and any metal surface is to rub a cake of sunlight or ordinary soap on any metal surface to reduce the friction encountered by wood on metal.ALso the non-stick spray on's commonly used on fry pans when cooking is also considered helpful not only in reducing friction but apparently helps in keeping your machinery surfaces free from moisture.(don't quote me on this I'm only passing on the info)And have'nt tried it yet as I use an expensive Caltex product but I'M about to save money if it works!!

------------------
Johnno

RFNK
1st July 2000, 08:28 PM
Putting wax on the tables of saws, thicknessers etc to reduce friction is standard procedure in woodmachining, I believe. I use surfboard wax (because I have it and I'm getting too fat and lazy to use it for anything else) and it works beautifully. I don't know this but I think wax would just last longer than soap and have the added advantage of protecting the metal, as it is not water soluble. Rick

RETIRED
2nd July 2000, 01:11 AM
Gooday.

There is a fantastic product called Siebergleitz for just this purpose. Makes machining real easy.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

Shane Watson
2nd July 2000, 09:43 AM
Hey ,

Where do you get hold of that Sieberglietz stuff?

Cheers
Shane..

ubeaut
3rd July 2000, 09:59 AM
Beware of anything containing silicon it will dramatically stuff-up your finishing and can float for miles in the air if sprayed, settling on other work and also stuffing the surface for finishing.

I may be wrong but I have a feeling that the non stick food spray contains food grade silicon. CAREFUL with this one.

A few years ago I was spraying a table top and kept on getting fish-eye from silicon on the surface. I new that it was not coming from me as it is banned from anywhere near my workshop.

It turned out that it was coming from a man who was welding about 150 metres away. The silocon that is given of in the welding process was being carried on a very gentle breeze and settling on the work, the walls, the windows and almost any other object it came in contact with.

Bloody silicon.
Neil

PS BBefore any one says it. Yes! I did use silicon drops (fish eye fixit) in the lacquer.

RETIRED
3rd July 2000, 02:20 PM
Gooday.

Seibergleitz is available at most Woodman stores and some other tool shops.

Contains no silicon or other bad crap but tastes lousy.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

John Saxton
6th July 2000, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the guff on (whatchamacallit)seibergleitz.
Still gotta be betta than soap though not wot me ol ma usta say wiv dem 4 letta wuds.
Here' lookin at ya http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno