PDA

View Full Version : So many wedding presents..

dalejw
18th June 2006, 08:24 PM
Just hitting that time in my life when all my friends are getting married. Have just been through 3 weddings in as many months 2 of which I've been best man at, the other the MC. Oh lord please give me a wedding I can just turn up to and not prepare a speech :)

Somewhat unfortunatley I decided to build a small book case for the first couple and then the precedent was set. Now everyone seems to want furniture for their wedding. The deal with any piece is that each couple has to donate an old piece of furniture or some other wood to have reworked into another piece. The wine rack here came from the framing of the couples renovated kitchen. The hall table from the remains of a book case and patio.

Both pieces are in jarrah and finished in a basic furniture polish wax combo.

None of the joinery is particularly flash as I'm working at a rate of one a month at the moment. Design was certainly more important than no nail holes ;)

Stay tuned for the next 3 wedding pieces in July, September and October.

Ever wish you'd never sarted something?

echnidna
18th June 2006, 08:51 PM
Love ya wine rack, Superb!!

Stuart
18th June 2006, 10:07 PM
Well if you will produce such nice presents, then you have made your own problem!

BTW, you are hereby invited to our friend's wedding in March, so you have a bit of time to prepare ;)

inferno6688
18th June 2006, 10:16 PM
i like that wine rack.

can u buy that 'sheet' of rings, that is holding the bottles?

Carry Pine
19th June 2006, 09:24 AM
My award goes to the hall table. Simple lines and a feeling of 'welcomeness'.
Carry Pine

oges
19th June 2006, 10:45 AM
Nice work on both, I can see why its become popular with others for wedding presents.

Does the couple get to choose what the new item will be or just donate the timber and leave it to you to decide?

dalejw
19th June 2006, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the kind words.
No they don't get to choose what comes out, they just donate the wood. I'm having a hard enough time churning these things out without taking requests :) These are all pretty good friends so I've got a pretty good idea of what will work in their homes

The wine bottle rings are from Lincoln Sentry (part no 1-472-083). They sure save a lot of time and I reckon they look pretty good as well.

To be honest I was a bit confused when that hall table came out. My design usually is a bit more chunky than that. I've actually found a great deal of freedom using purely recycled wood that you don't have a choice of sizes, lengths or colours and a very limited amount. It really forces you out of your comfort zone and stops you doing the same sort of thing over and over. I'm also finding it forces me to think on the run a bit more.

Iain
19th June 2006, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the parts info on the wine rack, I have a spot in a corner that needs filling.
Contacted Lincoln Sentry in Bayswater and found out that the racks are $17:?? cents + gst each (if anyone else is interested).
They do look good though.

dalejw
19th June 2006, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the parts info on the wine rack, I have a spot in a corner that needs filling.
Contacted Lincoln Sentry in Bayswater and found out that the racks are $17:?? cents + gst each (if anyone else is interested).
They do look good though.

Word of advice, check the mounting lugs come off the same side on both units before you take them home. Some of them have the lugs on the side with 4 holes, some of them have the lugs out the row of 5.

Bluegum
20th June 2006, 12:59 PM
Yep I concure with other comments regarding your wine rack. Nice work mate. That's the trouble when you can do a great job. Eveyone wants a piece of your work.;)