PDA

View Full Version : Knife Box

Flint
19th June 2006, 09:43 PM
I was commissioned by a melbourne chef to make a end grain chopping board matching knife and a presentation box to hold the knife. The timber is Victorian Blackwood and Silver Ash, purchased from Trend timbers at the wood work show. The knife is hand made including the cutting and shaping of the blade.

ss_11000
19th June 2006, 10:20 PM
nice work

arose62
20th June 2006, 07:40 AM
Looks good!

Can we see a pic of the box closed? Does it just have a strip of the Silver Ash down the middle, or is the box checkerboard like the chopping board??

And details of the knife construction??

Cheers,
Andrew

Andy Mac
20th June 2006, 09:33 AM
Hi Flint,
Excellent stuff, have a Greenie!:D

Cheers,

RufflyRustic
20th June 2006, 09:39 AM
Oooooooooo!! Very Nice!!! Has the Chef seen it yet? What was the Chef's reaction :)

Cheers
Wendy

Bodgy
20th June 2006, 10:28 AM
Very nice. Where did you get the steel for the blade? Did you temper etc yrself?

ptc
20th June 2006, 11:13 AM
Pic of Knife Please.

Flint
22nd June 2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks for all the positive comments. To answer a few questions. The box was made using 2 pce blackwood and one silver ash laminated together length ways. All corners were rounded on the router then the box was split in two on the table saw. The recess was all done with a hand held router and chisel.
The knife handle was Viv blackwood shaped by hand on the belt sander upside down in the vise. The blade was cut from a old stainless steel industrial band saw blade. I use a norton cutter in the angle grinder that cuts hardened stainless with out causing any heat to build up, hence no need to temper the steel. The edge was done using the belt sander then final sharpening on Japenese stones.
I use a two pack metal kneed it to hold the hasp of the blade in the handle.
I also make my own marking knives the same way

Bluegum
22nd June 2006, 03:52 PM
Flint,

Nice work mate really nice.

DPB
22nd June 2006, 08:18 PM
Very nice!:)

Wardy
22nd June 2006, 09:29 PM
Great work flint.
Wardy

KRH
23rd June 2006, 09:20 AM
Great work. And thanks for the info on making the blade. You taught me something.