PDA

View Full Version : Finally!

Toolin Around
19th June 2006, 11:59 PM
It's only been about a year and a half since I've had the beast set up and the tools unpacked. Just moved to a new house and was determined to get some meaningfull shed time in. Other than a few small spindles for Rocker it's been silent and rusting:eek: that whole time. Was able to whip off a couple rough bowl blanks from some red gum I scrounged from a friend. The engine hoist in the back ground was bought and brought over just for lifting the lathe. With the extension I made the thing must wiegh 1100lbs.

lubbing5cherubs
20th June 2006, 12:26 AM
that is one awesome lathe there. Great job on getting her unpacked. That would of been no easy feat
Toni

hughie
20th June 2006, 01:34 AM
With the extension I made the thing must wiegh 1100lbs

What is it, The mother of all Oneways? :D

hughie

La truciolara
20th June 2006, 06:57 AM
Looking forward to seing the beautifull tooth pics you are going to turn with this Rolls Royce. :p :D

keith53
20th June 2006, 08:19 AM
Matt,

What a brute!!! I'll bet its the first thing that pops into your head when the word 'moving' is mentioned :D

Zed
20th June 2006, 09:57 AM
what a friggin moster!!
how many horses ?
distance between centres?
max diameter ?
swing out ?

huge i tell ya!!

ptc
20th June 2006, 11:18 AM
Don't let Ern see it or he will paint the Beast white.

Captain Chaos
20th June 2006, 01:20 PM
G'day Matt,
Good to see that you've finally let the Oneway see the light of day in Oz. The paint'll probably fade you know!:confused:;)
I don't know if there are any more of them up here.:D
I have compiled a short list of four lathes that I reckon to be the best top level wood lathes, the Oneway & Vicmark lathes for spindle turning & faceplate work, & the Stubby and English VB lathes for large / huge (?) bowl - faceplate turning. Of course, when I win Xlotto, I'll have one of each in my snazzy new workshop. :p:) ( There's no tax on dreaming yet - is there? :( )

Well done Matt.
Barry.

Wild Dingo
20th June 2006, 02:08 PM
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFrigin hell!! What a bloody ball burster! :eek: I WANT ONE!!! :cool:

Where do I get one? HUH? HUH?? Come one where?? huh??? Just imagin that ball burster out in the shed!! WHAAAHOOOOOOOOOOO!!! mind you Id probably have to move the table saw thicknesser and bandsaw outside just to fit her in... but!!! what a bloody beauty!! :cool:

Spindleshanks
20th June 2006, 03:40 PM
Nice curtains too.

lubbing5cherubs
20th June 2006, 04:25 PM
Nice curtains too. You are so observant. I didn't even notice them. I was just blown away by his lathe
Toni

Captain Chaos
20th June 2006, 08:10 PM
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFrigin hell!! What a bloody ball burster! :eek: I WANT ONE!!! :cool:

Where do I get one? HUH? HUH?? Come one where?? huh??? Just imagin that ball burster out in the shed!! WHAAAHOOOOOOOOOOO!!! mind you Id probably have to move the table saw thicknesser and bandsaw outside just to fit her in... but!!! what a bloody beauty!! :cool:

G'day Shane,
Go here mate & make sure that your credit card is up to speed. :eek::D
http://www.oneway.on.ca/

Rather exxy by the time it lands up here in Oz, but still one of the best around if you're fair dinkum about your woodturning.
Regards,
Barry. - Oneway Lathe aspirant.:)

Toolin Around
20th June 2006, 08:35 PM

I don't think Ern will be having any lathe envy that's for sure

rsser
20th June 2006, 08:38 PM

Think if I tried she'd shake it off like your Husky would with a few drops of rain ;-}

(Just tried to bolt her down. Uneven concrete floor, 1 cm thick bottom plate = masonery anchor cracked the concrete on one corner despite being an inch in. Next step 3" in.)

Toolin Around
20th June 2006, 08:45 PM
Matt,

What a brute!!! I'll bet its the first thing that pops into your head when the word 'moving' is mentioned :D

With the engine hoist in the back it's the easiest thing I have to load and unload. The extension is removable which help a great deal.

Toolin Around
20th June 2006, 08:53 PM
what a friggin moster!!
how many horses ?
distance between centres?
max diameter ?
swing out ?

huge i tell ya!!

Just think of it as a lathe on steriods. My wife just called it my penis extension:o Surpisingly it's only a 2hp. In it's present config I can turn 1800mm between centers. I made the bed extension so I could, if needed, bolt on a wooden bed of any length I feel like. Max inside Diameter is 600mm. Outside (in theory) 2200mm. If I build the outboard bed it will turn about 1100mm.

Toolin Around
20th June 2006, 08:56 PM
Nice curtains too.

I wanted the garage to have a nice ambiance. I usually turn by candle light.

Toolin Around
20th June 2006, 09:01 PM
Before I moved here I had contacted Oneway about selling them downunder. But they said they weren't interested:eek: so as far as I know mines the only one here.

ss_11000
20th June 2006, 10:32 PM
nice lathe mate:) , how could you let it rust;) ...

Barry the link didn't work for me. anyone else or just me?:confused:

cheers

Captain Chaos
20th June 2006, 10:51 PM
G'day Stirlo,
I just tried the link before I logged in & immediately after & it worked for me both times. T' only thing that I can suggest is that you type the URL into your browser search bar & hit the Go pedal, or do a Google for Oneway lathes. Remember - Google is your f(r)iend!!:D.
Regards,
Barry.

Cliff Rogers
20th June 2006, 11:19 PM
Nice curtains too.

D'oh!!!! I was going to say that. :p

TimberNut
21st June 2006, 05:01 PM
Don't stress Cliff,

I just googled that model to do a comparison. He gets it over us on weight a bit, (but not if I check the VL300 long bed version!), centre height - near enough to equal. The rest - nothing in it except he gets a #3 morse taper in the tailstock, but I'm buggered if I'd want different morse tapers between head and tail!!!!
I reckon I'm happy with the Aussie version. But it's not bad....(well, for an OS model! :D )

(and No, Ern, I don't want specs on The Beast, you can win this round, OK?)

Oneway 2346 vs Vicmarc VL300ESVX

Weight
850lb (385.5kg) vs 350kg

Centre Height
24" (609mm) vs 600mm

Headstock
#2 morse taper vs #2 morse taper

Tailstock
#3 morse taper vs #2 morse taper

Hole through Headstock
5/8" (15.875mm) vs 15mm

rsser
21st June 2006, 06:29 PM

Would I be so immature as to get into a p*ssing contest over lathes? No way Jose (esp since his length and swing are bigger than mine :D ).

Toolin Around
21st June 2006, 07:20 PM
nice lathe mate:) , how could you let it rust;) ...

Barry the link didn't work for me. anyone else or just me?:confused:

cheers

Cause everything here rusts:eek: Wouldn't surprise me if rocks rust also:D That's just something you don't have to contend with in North America.

Toolin Around
21st June 2006, 08:02 PM
Don't stress Cliff,

I just googled that model to do a comparison. He gets it over us on weight a bit, (but not if I check the VL300 long bed version!), centre height - near enough to equal. The rest - nothing in it except he gets a #3 morse taper in the tailstock, but I'm buggered if I'd want different morse tapers between head and tail!!!!
I reckon I'm happy with the Aussie version. But it's not bad....(well, for an OS model! :D )

Oneway 2346 vs Vicmarc VL300ESVX

Weight
850lb (385.5kg) vs 350kg

Centre Height
24" (609mm) vs 600mm

Headstock
#2 morse taper vs #2 morse taper

Tailstock
#3 morse taper vs #2 morse taper

Hole through Headstock
5/8" (15.875mm) vs 15mm

When I was looking the Vicmarc vl300 started out as my first choice. I chose the Oneway in the end cause of a few differences that would affect what I do.

Vicmarc use roller bearings (RBs) in their headstocks. RBs can withstand incredible thrust pressures but don't like sustained high rpms (2000 +)over long periods of time (up to 5 or 6 hours), they tend to generate heat. That causes the shaft to expand which then causes the bearings to get a bit sloppy. For that average turner that's not a problem but for what I was doing at the time it would have been a real pain. At that time I would burn out the bearings in my lathe once a month turning fence post caps. I don't think I would have worn out the Vicmarc bearings but that minute amount of slop would have been a real problem. The Oneway has double preloaded bearings and the back bearings float so that shaft expansion and contraction isn't an issue. If Vicmarc at that time had preloaded there's and allowed the back bearing to float I probably would have over looked the the other differences and bought it. The long bed was a real draw to me. But in the end I bought the oneway and built my own bed extension.

Also cast iron has an amazing amount of flex for a material that can be so brittle where as the steel contraction used by oneway won't flex at all. Again for the average turner it is almost unnoticeable but when you're trying to turn 6 inch diameter aluminium like wood flex can get a wee bit dangerous.

You would be surprised how easy a #2 MT live center bends when a bloody big chunk of wood comes loose on a lathe. Been there done that and hope I never do it again. Did it on an old Powermatic Model 90 that I had raised up and modified. The thing must have weighed over 1500lbs but when that chunk of wood came loose the frickin thing was bouncing all over the shop.

Over the years I've found that the weight of a lathe is less important than the foot print. The Powermatic lathe I mentioned earlier weighed almost twice as much as the Oneway but was easy to get moving with what was a relatively light chunk of wood were as the Oneway just doesn't move even though I've never bolted it down.

hughie
22nd June 2006, 01:48 PM
Over the years I've found that the weight of a lathe is less important than the foot print. The Powermatic lathe I mentioned earlier weighed almost twice as much as the Oneway but was easy to get moving with what was a relatively light chunk of wood were as the Oneway just doesn't move even though I've never bolted it down.
[/QUOTE]

This makes sense.The analogy being you could put a tonne on a flag pole and it would fall over 100kg on a tripod and not move it.
Also the preloaded bearings with end float are they way to go. Although for most of us this would be too much engineering and above our requirements.
But having said that I would like to see a Oneway distributor here in Oz just to the locals on thier toes.
hughie

ss_11000
22nd June 2006, 10:42 PM
G'day Stirlo,
I just tried the link before I logged in & immediately after & it worked for me both times. T' only thing that I can suggest is that you type the URL into your browser search bar & hit the Go pedal, or do a Google for Oneway lathes. Remember - Google is your f(r)iend!!:D.
Regards,
Barry.
weird, i tried a few hrs later and it worked...thanx for the link.:)

Captain Chaos
22nd June 2006, 11:01 PM
weird, i tried a few hrs later and it worked...thanx for the link.:) My pleasure young Stirlo, enjoy.:D
Got to agree Hughie, I would like to see more Oneway lathes here in Oz, especially in my workshop!:D:D. I was checking their website out last year & requested a catalogue from them to check their line of turning products & I actually received it a few weeks later! I e-mailed them to thank them for mailing the catalogue & received a very positive response as well. Oneway definitely appear to be a top company to deal with.
I'm hoping to purchase some tooling from them in the near future as they have some very good gear.
Regards,
Barry.

Toolin Around
23rd June 2006, 12:44 AM
I was checking their website out last year & requested a catalogue from them to check their line of turning products & I actually received it a few weeks later! I e-mailed them to thank them for mailing the catalogue & received a very positive response as well. Oneway definitely appear to be a top company to deal with.
I'm hoping to purchase some tooling from them in the near future as they have some very good gear.
Regards,
Barry.

The best way I could describe Oneways service so those in here could understand... it's on par with Lee Valleys.

I was having trouble with my lathe that couldn't easily be sorted out. It had an intermittent electrical problem where the lathe would just quite. But it would only do it every six months or so. So Kevin the inverter tech at Oneway gave me his home number and said call anytime if the lathe acts up so that he could talk me through some tests over the phone. If that weren't enough, the inverter finally gave up the ghost (or so I thought). So when I called Oneway and explained everything the lady said that Kevin was on holidays in Florida and he would contact me as soon as possible (I figured that meant when he got back). So the next day the phone rings and it's Kevin. My response was "what the hell are you doing phone me while on holidays..." To make a long story short, from his hotel in room at Disney World he set up everything for me to get the inverter replaced all I had to do was box it up and send it to them.

Oh and after all the problems it turned out the inverter was fine, it was the electricity that was the problem. It would fluctuate anywhere from 200 to 240volts