PDA

View Full Version : New Lathe arrived!!!!!!

OGYT
21st June 2006, 10:45 AM
My Oneway 1640 arrived yesterday. I had a lot of help from the local Volunteer Fire Dept (I am a firefighter also) to unload it and get it into the shop. I used two 2x6's, stacked, under each end, to raise it up some. The lathe slid right off the skid and onto the 2xs... perfect. Set the legs at full extension. Spindle height is now 49". The rest of set up was easy as pie.
Plugged it in, and it truly hummed!! Never heard a lathe that quiet.
I turned a handwheel first, because I had been planning on a couple of heavy chunks of Cherry. Rough-turned a 22 inch chunk of Cherry into a 15in bowl.... had a lot of punky wood. Turned it outboard, by the way, and then put it into the soap barrel.
Turned for a while on another chunk of it, and it had so much punky wood I decided it wasn't worth saving. Took it off, and put on a large crotch of Bois d'Arc, inboard. Rough turned it into a beautiful bowl, and threw it into the soap, also. Seven days in that, and then on the shelf for a couple or three weeks. Made some modifications to my shop in the interim... moved a fan, and bench, and some other stuff...
The 1640 is a remarkable tool. What a lathe!! Now if I can just get used to the tail stock, the banjos, and the tool rests... they all work perfectly (slide easily, and lock tight), which I am not used to.
Turned on that lathe for a little bit last night, and then turned on it a bunch today, except for an hour break at lunch. So far, no soreness in the shoulders from having the Spindle so high, or my back either. I hope things stay that way.
I think I'll keep it.... :o)
Hughie, when you come to the States, come by here, and turn a little on it. No joke. :o)

lubbing5cherubs
21st June 2006, 11:42 AM
Way to go.. Is that the same one as the big one like toolin' around? Congratulation! enjoy!
Toni

TTIT
21st June 2006, 12:24 PM
OK - everybody on the 6:40 out of Sydney to Texas to go and play with Al's new lathe!!:D What! :( Just Hughie !!:(:(:mad: Not fair - I'm takin' me bat 'n ball and goin' home. It just 'ain't cricket'!

So where's the pics Al? We can't get those suckers here so you gotta at least show us!:D;):D;)

Gil Jones
21st June 2006, 02:37 PM
Other than shipping costs for 600 pounds of steel, why can you not get a OneWay lathe in OZ?

OGYT
21st June 2006, 04:00 PM
Here's a couple of shots.
Hope they come through okay... The big blob of steel on the outboard extension is the block that raises the tailstock up to proper height for outboard turning. It turns 24 Inches outboard.
Hope those pics aren't too dark. :o)

jmk89
21st June 2006, 04:03 PM
STTTRRREEEWWWTTTHHH!!! That is one big m###### of a lathe.
No excuses now....

the next forum joint purchasing item will be package tours to go and play with it...

rsser
21st June 2006, 06:17 PM
Other than shipping costs for 600 pounds of steel, why can you not get a OneWay lathe in OZ?

As far as I'm aware Gil there isn't a distributor.

Nothing to stop you shipping direct of course.

But then we have Vicmarc, Stubby, Teknatool etc on our doorstep so to speak so you'd have to ask where the advantage would lie.

ptc
21st June 2006, 06:45 PM
Ern.
paint yours white !
it reminds me of a submarine
is it an under water one ?

Toolin Around
21st June 2006, 06:54 PM

Before I moved downunder I called Oneway about becoming an outlet for there lathes here. Their response was they weren't interested in the Oz market and therefore weren't willing to sell me anything. It wouldn't surprise me if Oneway would refuse to sell direct also because they have no Australian certifications on their electronics.

La truciolara
21st June 2006, 07:13 PM
My Oneway 1640 arrived yesterday.
Turned on that lathe for a little bit last night, and then turned on it a bunch today, except for an hour break at lunch. So far, no soreness in the shoulders from having the Spindle so high, or my back either. I hope things stay that way.
I think I'll keep it.... :o)
Hughie, when you come to the States, come by here, and turn a little on it. No joke. :o)
It sure is a fantastic lathe. I use to say Oneway is the Rolls Royce, Vicmarc the Daimler.. :) <O:p</O:p
An intriguing point though looking at your pictures and reading your comments.<O:p</O:p
You must be very tall I guess as, not only you have used the full leg extension but you put the lathe on additional wooden eighth. Am I right?<O:p</O:p

Toolin Around
21st June 2006, 07:13 PM
As far as I'm aware Gil there isn't a distributor.

Nothing to stop you shipping direct of course.

But then we have Vicmarc, Stubby, Teknatool etc on our doorstep so to speak so you'd have to ask where the advantage would lie.

The only real difference in how Oneway differs is in it's construction. It's made of steel instead of cast iron and the beds are made of thick wall pipe instead of ribbed rail construction. Until you have used both you can't appreciate how different it is. I've had some incredibly robust cast iron lathes that would flex a surprising amount but the Oneway doesn't flex or bend under any conditions. Not the sort of thing the average turner would have a problem with but some of the idiot stuff I've done really test the lathes construction. The preloaded bearings in the head stock also make a significant difference.

ticklingmedusa
21st June 2006, 08:33 PM
Shes beautiful Al!
Tonight I reckon you will have to tunnel out from the shop to the house on account of snowdrift-like heaps of shavings. :cool:
Your box of wood is in the mail today.
Don't forget to stop and eat. :D
tm

TTIT
22nd June 2006, 12:31 AM
Here's a couple of shots.
Hope they come through okay... The big blob of steel on the outboard extension is the block that raises the tailstock up to proper height for outboard turning. It turns 24 Inches outboard.
Hope those pics aren't too dark. :o)
Thanks for the pics Al. That is one impressive bit of gear.:D Though it's highly unlikely, if I'm ever in the States, I will take you up on the offer!!!!;)
Question - are the pipe sections filled with anything? Maybe sand as a dampener??

Gil Jones
22nd June 2006, 03:19 AM
I suppose that OneWay would have a hard time competing with VicMarc and Stubby (which I consider to be excellent machinery) due to the cost of shipping, parts, supply, and someone to stock it all (plus warrantee repairs). Al made a fine choice with the 1640.

hughie
22nd June 2006, 01:19 PM
Hughie, when you come to the States, come by here, and turn a little on it. No joke.

Al,

sigh.......................I wander out to my cluttered two car garage and look at my superb MC1100 and wonder where you went wrong :D

But on the other hand,as I got married in the US we have always talked about going back to look up old friends. Alaska is a bit far from Texas, but in the interest of maintaining cordial US/Aust relations [GW would love it :D ] a detour would be in order.
hughie

OGYT
22nd June 2006, 03:19 PM
Let me see if I can answer some questions…
Claude, I’m not tall, by a long shot. I’m only 5’10”. But when I bought Old Griz, I turned constantly for a while, and my back hurt all the time. I raised it to 47” spindle height, and wished I’d made it higher. So I put my Oneway at 49” spindle height to start with. I love it up there. I didn’t turn a lot today, but haven’t had any back problems (So far so good) with it being that high.
TTIT, the pipes are empty. They say you can put bags of sand in there… they don’t recommend it, they just say it’s okay if you need extra ballast. I don’t think it’ll be necessary, but I am going to have to put some concrete blocks under the floor to help support the tailstock. The headstock lift pad goes across 3 floor joists. The Tailstock lift pad just contacts one, and it wobbles a little when I first put on an out of balance piece. After I get the blocks installed, it’ll be fine. C’mon, the offer stands. :o<O:p</O:p
tm, I had to tunnel out last night… :o Today I put on some Red Sycamore that I got in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:p</st1:country-region>, and there was some punky wood in it. Was getting a lot of tear-out, so I saturated it with a 75/25 mixture of Lacquer Thinner/Lacquer, and let it sit all day. I spent the rest of the day building a rolling tool stand. I’ll see if I can get a pic of it posted in a day or two. Man, I’m looking forward to the box!!! You didn’t have to, but I’m glad you did… :o
BTW, my wife always has to tell me it’s time to eat….
<O:p</O:p
I’ll be lookin’ for ya, Hughie.

rsser
22nd June 2006, 11:59 PM
The only real difference in how Oneway differs is in it's construction. It's made of steel instead of cast iron and the beds are made of thick wall pipe instead of ribbed rail construction. Until you have used both you can't appreciate how different it is. I've had some incredibly robust cast iron lathes that would flex a surprising amount but the Oneway doesn't flex or bend under any conditions. Not the sort of thing the average turner would have a problem with but some of the idiot stuff I've done really test the lathes construction. The preloaded bearings in the head stock also make a significant difference.

Don't get me wrong. Looks like a fine filly.

And it's horses for courses, of course of course etc.. Each of my three lathes have had cast iron beds. And Hughie I started with an MC900 and you can't beat these units for value for money and they can do a lot as you have shown.

But to be picky...

How much would it cost to replace the Vicmarc roller bearings?

And for a skilled turner using an MC900 or 1100 or a Vicmarc, what couldn't s/he do with their bed that a Oneway bed can do? Ie. what limitations would their bed flex impose?

hughie
23rd June 2006, 01:52 AM
And it's horses for courses, of course of course etc.. Each of my three lathes have had cast iron beds. And Hughie I started with an MC900 and you can't beat these units for value for money and they can do a lot as you have shown.

Ern,
I agree MC range are hard to beat at their price and are darn fine beginners lathe. The design if fine, where I find fault is the machining and given todays automation they should have finer tolerances.... well a little better anyway.
I have managed to get my MC1100 running darn well [ it'll pass the coin test on the headstock] by clearing up the machining details and a few inventive mods.

But then the cynic in me says planned obsolescence has much to do with todays manufacturing policies.

The Oneway system is fine but as I said for most of us it much more than we need. The Vicmark roller bearing system etc will see most folks out, especially if they are greased regularly. The replacement cost of the roller bearings is nothing, except perhaps the time involved.

The only reason for having Oneway around is more competition to improve the product :D and of course more choices. Yay!

I don't think I want to go down the path of flexing my cast iron bed :eek: , sounds a bit like work to me :D This turning thing is a hobby, even if I do take seriously, and at the end of the day its my escape from the "maddening crowd" and whatever else is up my nose at the time.

Here is perhaps the ultimate in over engineered lathes. A damn fine piece of engineering that would almost be a heirloom that could be handed down through the family
http://www.hegner.co.uk/system/index.html
It would be fun to own but at around 11000USD :eek: for the 3hp with some accessories I will probably settle for something a little further down the food chain :D

And of course a good craftsman should never complain about his tools. ;)

hughie

La truciolara
23rd June 2006, 03:23 AM
OGYT:
you give me a good idea. I am going to lift up one of my lathes and try turning this way. My old back might like it. Thanks for the idea.

OGYT
23rd June 2006, 06:16 AM
OGYT:
you give me a good idea. I am going to lift up one of my lathes and try turning this way. My old back might like it. Thanks for the idea.
You're welcome, friend. I love these woodturning forums. I've learned a bunch... if I could just put it to use now....
:o)

rsser
23rd June 2006, 08:21 AM
Hughie, the MCs seem to vary a bit acc to who assembles them. There's clearly no patent on the design, or at least not one that's honoured, and the makers assemble them from bits of variable quality. Eg. mine had none of the foibles mentioned on this forum except dust would accumulate in the mechanism that changed the speed eventually jamming it.

hughie
23rd June 2006, 01:36 PM
[ the MCs seem to vary a bit acc to who assembles them. There's clearly no patent on the design, or at least not one that's honoured, and the makers assemble them from bits of variable quality. Eg. mine had none of the foibles mentioned on this forum except dust would accumulate in the mechanism that changed the speed eventually jamming it

Ern What I suspect is that like many other items from this part of the world. They are actually made via a cottage type industry ie Little casting and machining shops contract out to make certain parts and a central location does the assembly and on sells them.
I had some experience with this may years ago with Russian machine tools. After awhile you could recognize the various factories by the quality of the parts.
Its a little sad because if they tightened up on quality it would a very good lathe. In time they will as they have done with other products.
hughie

Wood Butcher
23rd June 2006, 02:20 PM
What an awesome lathe, One day I would love to go to Toolin's to have a look at his. Mmmmm Might be good excuse for another QLD BBQ!! hint, hint

Thanks for the photos. I am about to start making a new base for my lathe and the idea for the legs is great. Gives you both adjustable height and a big footprint on the floor while making sure that all four corners have contact for stability.
It is a shame that Oneway won't export over here as they look like a great lathe to use!

Toolin Around
24th June 2006, 11:26 AM
Don't get me wrong. Looks like a fine filly.

But to be picky...

How much would it cost to replace the Vicmarc roller bearings?

And for a skilled turner using an MC900 or 1100 or a Vicmarc, what couldn't s/he do with their bed that a Oneway bed can do? Ie. what limitations would their bed flex impose?

I completely agree but there are a few of us out there that feel boundries are for over stepping (One of the things that originally drew me to Aus. You guys like to push the boundries also) hence the need to really consider the lathes construction. I have a piece of 160mm diameter solid aluminium I just bought and plan to turn into a vase about 180mm tall (I was asking about inspiration in another thread). Cause I will only be holding it at one end and it will only have a small access hole the lateral forces will be tremendous. If that were to manifest as vibration from bearing slop and or flex the results could be catastrophic. There are not too many lathes made that I would try that on.

Toolin Around
24th June 2006, 11:45 AM
OGYT:

When you stand in front of the lathe for long periods it's very hard on the spine. I had one lathe raised up about 8" to alleviate the neck strain. Turners tend to crane there neck and hunch over so as to get a better look at what they're doing. Raising the lathe brings the work closer to (tired) eyes and lets the turner standup straighter. I have a lot of neck problems from turning. I'm sure Midge thought the neck stretcher I wore once in awhile around his place was a funny site. Bifocals are my next investment in the fight to keep the sore neck at bay. Well directed bright light also helps a lot.

OGYT
24th June 2006, 02:19 PM
You're right about the light, Toolin. that's something my shop lacks. I've got to get some more light. I have a hard time seeing my sanding marks, sometimes, and being too lazy to take it over to the door, or get another light over close, sometimes they get by me 'til it's too late.
I've found out that without the RFI filter, you can cause your neighbors problems... if they listen to the radio...:mad:
I do like it up high like it is. My back doesn't hurt anymore. :rolleyes:

rsser
24th June 2006, 05:30 PM
I completely agree but there are a few of us out there that feel boundries are for over stepping (One of the things that originally drew me to Aus. You guys like to push the boundries also) hence the need to really consider the lathes construction. I have a piece of 160mm diameter solid aluminium I just bought and plan to turn into a vase about 180mm tall (I was asking about inspiration in another thread). Cause I will only be holding it at one end and it will only have a small access hole the lateral forces will be tremendous. If that were to manifest as vibration from bearing slop and or flex the results could be catastrophic. There are not too many lathes made that I would try that on.

Fair enough. But I'm not sure I'd be judging wood lathe quality on metal turning criteria.