PDA

View Full Version : WIP Router Table

BobR
21st June 2006, 05:18 PM
Been wanting one of these for some time. The current one is a bit of a cluge.

This router table is based on Norm's. I purchased the table top, fence, and track from Professional Woodworkers Supplies at the show. This required that Norm's plans be modified to accomodate a top of a different size. Also, I wanted the table top to extend over the cabinet frame on all sides so that clamping could be carried out if required.

I am paying the price of purchasing cheap plywood. It was sold as 18mm, but varies between 16 and 17. Some of the voids inside appear to be packed with a workers lunch - just rubbish. In all this made for some questionable joints resulting in less than satisfactory finish in parts. Just as well it is staying in the shop. But it will function!!!

Just hope I can get it finished before we go away. It has progressed a little further but no photos to show. Only the two drawers on the bottom left and the door to do, then install an external switch.

BobR
21st June 2006, 05:27 PM
Don't know what happened to the photos. Here they are.

Stuart
21st June 2006, 05:37 PM
That looks pretty good - did you design it yourself from Norm's photos, or do you have actual plans?

What's the red Woodpecker thing behind the fence?

Did you look at the Incra stuff? I've been setting up one of those tops (the largest one) with an incra jig (the cheap one :( ) and am happy so far (although I'd kill for an anodised one with a decent range).

Still have to make the actual fence, and a base. I'm thinking of keeping the dimensions down, so I can fit it on a Jet wheeled toolbase. (although I can be tempted by all that storage you have there!)

I'm using a CMT router bit tray (stores up to 100 bits (less if they are large)), which isn't wood :(, and the rotuer bits are very hard to get in and out. Nice to have all the bits in one place, and a semblance of being organised. (Unlike the rest of my shop).

Look forward to seeing the router table finished, and some results :D

BobR
21st June 2006, 05:48 PM
Stuart, I have the plans for the table. Got them over a year ago but did nothing with them. Bad photography with the red in the background. The red with black top belongs to the shop vac. However, as part of the fence is a dust extraction fitting which is also red. So red on red. Sorry about that.

Stuart
21st June 2006, 05:50 PM
:D no problem. Where can I get the plans from? (ok answer my own question - probably www.nyw.com) right?

Are they worth getting?

Auld Bassoon
21st June 2006, 06:28 PM
Hi BobR

Looking good mate!

I note that you have installed two guide panels to the lower dust extraction port - you've probably already thought of this, but I'd cover the void behind them as they'll soon fill up with crud :eek:

I also have that engineered table top with the inset channels (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=10291&d=1120304630): my only gripe is that they aren't a common size (except to Woodpecker's stuff, natch!), so for guides I've had to make a few up either from hardwood or from polypropylene. Not a big deal, just another job to be tackled...

WRT to the two fence adjustment channels, I used T-bolts and knobs to allow me to position the fence and lock it. In retrospect, I would have made a central adjuster (somewhat akin to Rocker's Morticing Jig arrangement) rather than have to fiddle with each side. In fact, I may still do this.

robbiewy
21st June 2006, 07:04 PM
The router table is looking good.

I have something similar in mind but out of mdf it will have to be mobile as well small work shop (garage) two cars have to fit. At the moment I have a triton router table I’m wondering whether to insert the triton top into the table. Getting sick of changing the top on the triton work station.

Auld Bassoon
21st June 2006, 07:16 PM
The router table is looking good.

I have something similar in mind but out of mdf it will have to be mobile as well small work shop (garage) two cars have to fit. At the moment I have a triton router table I’m wondering whether to insert the triton top into the table. Getting sick of changing the top on the triton work station.

Cars have paint - that makes them weather-resistant. Priorities mate! :D :D

robbiewy
21st June 2006, 08:03 PM
Cars have paint - that makes them weather-resistant. Priorities mate! :D :D I also have a wife and i like to sleep in a warm bed not a cold garage and Tassie is not the tropics.:(:(

BobR
21st June 2006, 11:06 PM
Steve, I should have mentioned that the internal dust collection system is not completed. There is a flat piece that covers the angled dust guides that extends from the back to just in front of the end of the guides. Then from half way up the back wall a piece of ply extends down to connect with the cover front. This creats a slide that forces all dust down in front of the V opening for extraction through the back hole. The dust extraction is split behind the cabinet with the other arm going up to the back of the fence.

Wongo
22nd June 2006, 01:01 AM
Nice router table bob.

Simomatra
22nd June 2006, 09:00 AM
Well done Bob

Nice looking table

BobR
27th June 2006, 12:31 AM
The router table is finally finished. The first photo is of the completed interior dust collection slide. The second image shows the door fitted to the router housing bay. The third photo is of the finished cabinet with the last image showing one of the cutter storage drawers. Four of the drawers are configured for 1/4" shanks with two for 1/2" shanks. The bottom drawer on each side has a bigger depth for larger cutters. The top left drawer is a full drawer to hold spanners. Have yet to test it out, but am ready to make sawdust!

BobL
27th June 2006, 12:49 AM
Super inspirational stuff!
If SWMBO saw that in my shed she'd want it in the house.

Carry on.

Harry72
27th June 2006, 03:51 AM
Very noice mate.

zenwood
27th June 2006, 04:37 PM
Good looking and functional piece of shed furniture. I'm envious.

Auld Bassoon
27th June 2006, 08:33 PM
I also have a wife and i like to sleep in a warm bed not a cold garage and Tassie is not the tropics.:(:(

Hey Robbie - great excuse to have a decent heating system in the shed :D

Auld Bassoon
27th June 2006, 08:35 PM
Good stuff. I like it mate!

Jill
28th June 2006, 12:56 AM
Great project, Robbie - you'll have great pleasure out of your efforts every time you open up those smmmooootthh drawers and never have to waste time looking for the bit you need, etc. Wonderful!

Cheers,

Jill

DPB
28th June 2006, 09:44 AM
The router table is finally finished. The first photo is of the completed interior dust collection slide. The second image shows the door fitted to the router housing bay. The third photo is of the finished cabinet with the last image showing one of the cutter storage drawers. Four of the drawers are configured for 1/4" shanks with two for 1/2" shanks. The bottom drawer on each side has a bigger depth for larger cutters. The top left drawer is a full drawer to hold spanners. Have yet to test it out, but am ready to make sawdust!
Bob, why the blank above the open drawer in the pic? What's behind it?:)

BobR
28th June 2006, 10:40 AM
Don, the electrical wiring is housed in there. The external power cord comes in through a hole in the back; the cord from the router enters via a slot in the top of the wall next to the router. I still have to install an external switch on the RHS of the cabinet. Won't have time to do this before we go away as I have yet to get the switch. Will most probably use the Triton table switch as it is relatively compact and has a cover. At the moment I have to switch the router on using the onboard switch. There is no problem getting into the wiring chamber as the top is not fitted to the cabinet - it weighs a ton. There are four blocks fitted on the underside to stop the top sliding when in use.