PDA

View Full Version : WIP Jarrah display case, early stages

Redgy
21st June 2006, 10:28 PM
Hi all, just started building swmbo a display cabinet for her "stuff". Lot's of firsts in this project for me but the main one is that it's the first time i've used real wood, most work has been in pine, mdf, meranti etc. Not this time, jarrah her choice after seeing some nice stuff on the web. The design is from Woodsmith about 24 I think. So step one was a 10 hr wood (& tools :D)buying trip to Melbourne about a month ago. Got the wood from mathews timber who were very helpful. Can't source anything here, only order it in & you get what you get :(.

Next step of resizing again I was nervous putting any blade to a piece of wood that cost $50 but as I've found so far with all of it (& you guys already know) it seems easier to get good results from quality timber.

So once planed, thicknessed & trued up on the saw I started with glueing up 1/2 dozen or so panels required. These are all biscuited in the joins & the jointing was done darkside. I don't have a jointer plane or even a jack but I was still happy with the results from the veritas LA smoother.

1. stock after laying out.
2. jointed & thicknessed
3. case bottom getting smoothed
4. no glue lines panel made me happy

Redgy
21st June 2006, 10:39 PM
Panels done, I next started on the making up the 2 end frames. All joints are mortice & tenon, again another first for me & I did the motices with a morticing attachement on the drill press & the tenons on the TS with a dado set.

After a bit of tuning got the tenons fitting nicely & got them glued up. Have just tonight drilled the holes for the adjustable shelf supports (shelves will be glass) & routed the rebate for the glass. Another first....back routing, not as scary as I thought but was still nervous.

Anyway more to come over the next few weeks (or months :eek: ) Hope I'm not boring you :cool:

Cheers
Redgy

Redgy
21st June 2006, 10:42 PM
Did I mention some new tools...:D

BobR
21st June 2006, 10:56 PM
Redgy,Redgy,Redgy - I look at your new tools and can't find an electron hugger anywhere. Too much hard work. :rolleyes:

On the other side, your work is comming along great. Looks like the makings of a winner.

Redgy
21st June 2006, 11:03 PM
So far electrons consumed...tablesaw, jointer/thicknesser, router, drop saw, ROS, dust extractor, biscuit jointer, bar fridge, lights, stereo, heater....happy now bob :p

jaspr
21st June 2006, 11:35 PM
Brilliant work Redgy - have a greenie for your efforts and sahring it with us.

Wongo
22nd June 2006, 12:48 AM
Lovely work Redgy.

Simomatra
22nd June 2006, 09:03 AM
Looking good Reggie

Love your new toys

TTIT
22nd June 2006, 09:35 AM
You're gonna give us 'tool envy' if you keep it up Redgy! Project so far looks like the new tools have been a worthwhile purchase though.:)

RufflyRustic
22nd June 2006, 09:46 AM
Loving the WIP Redgy!! and natually am envious of your new tools - hope they live up to your expectations and more. You must (Please!) tell us how they go for you.

Cheers
Wendy

jmk89
22nd June 2006, 09:49 AM
Anyway more to come over the next few weeks (or months :eek: ) Hope I'm not boring you :cool:

Redgy

Boring? - far from it - very nice work and great tactic of getting SWMBO to commission the project (and hence the need for new toys...wash my mouth out...tools which are essential for you to do it properly...that is, up to her standards!!).

Look forward to more installments.

Jeremy

reef12
22nd June 2006, 12:49 PM
That is some sweet looking wood and a nice start to a good looking cabinet their Redgy.

Keep those photos coming.

Wish they had wood like that here real close to Bubinga ;)

Ticky
22nd June 2006, 01:10 PM
Nice work Redgy, looks good. Your not the only whimp on the forum. If my SWMBO orderd me to spend a fortune on tools & Material, I would not have the courage to argue either, like you, I would just do as I was told.

steve

AlexS
22nd June 2006, 01:28 PM
Very nice start Redgy, looking forward to more posts as the project comes along.

zenwood
22nd June 2006, 02:00 PM
A gutsy project for your first one in real wood, and darkside too. Great looking work so far, and very nice looking tools.

I find jarrah is quite nice to work with planes, but can generate dust (even with planes), and has a tendency to tearout if you're not very careful. How are you finding it? (Heaps better than pine in any case, specially on endgrain.)

I note you have the LN skew block plane. Have you plans for making use of it? I do use mine, but not as frequently as I expected.

Redgy
22nd June 2006, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. As for SWMBO, the deal was she give me whatever money she wanted to spend on the piece from the shop (around $1700 in this case, for what looked like bloody stapled together rubbish) & I build the thing & spend the rest on whatever I want. A true win win...unless I stuff it up :o....then I'll be apparently living with my tools & scrap bits of jarah :).

Zen, your right it is dusty stuff & been wearing all the right gear. Routing it is especially messy. Haven't had an issue with any tearout as yet. The LN140 has been used on all the tenons thus far & is a nice way to get the dado marks off them & get them to that just firm snug fit. Only issue I have had is trying to get the thing to take an even shaving and found a couple of tenons slightly thinner at the shoulders than the ends. I plan to get a free lesson on setting it up at the WW show.

Reg

Andy Mac
22nd June 2006, 03:03 PM
Thanks for sharing your progress, Redgy, far from boring. The project is coming along well, and the tools...well, what can I say...I'm jealous!;) The shavings off that panel look pretty good, did you need to scrape it after?

Cheers,

Redgy
22nd June 2006, 04:02 PM
The shavings off that panel look pretty good, did you need to scrape it after?

Nup, I scraped the glue lines then planed nice & flat (not much needed as seen from the shavings) & then all the panels are getting an initial sand as I build. As the inside needs to look as good as the outside due to all the glass, thought it might save me some work later once constructed. I have no idea if thats the right process :confused: but it's working for me ;)

Cheers

rod1949
22nd June 2006, 04:25 PM
Ya doing a good job there.

As you're in the Mount, you don't happen to know a Morris Watson he's a solid plasterer by trade.

Cheers
Rod

Redgy
22nd June 2006, 04:42 PM
Sorry Rod, no I don't

Auld Bassoon
22nd June 2006, 09:33 PM
Good stuff Redgy!

Coming along nicely - and some nice new toys to play with :) The LN Block Plane is a real beaut, but so are the LV spokeshaves :) :) Scraper too! A Darksider! Good on you!

robbiewy
22nd June 2006, 11:26 PM
Looking good can’t wait for some more pics

Jill
23rd June 2006, 11:06 AM
Beautiful work, Redgy - when it's done, I'm sure you'll be so pleased that you used hardwood & will have a heirloom piece to admire.

Cheers,

Jill

Pops
24th June 2006, 07:08 PM
As everyone has said, Great work Redgy. You won't regret using Jarrah, looks like you got some pinkish-red pieces. They come up beautifully, almost glow when the sun hits it. Please keep sending the pictures.
Cheers,
Pops