PDA

View Full Version : Latest free wood------suggestions needed

Auzzie turner
22nd June 2006, 05:12 PM
Hi all,
This is my latest free wood, The blanks on the left are sugar gum, and the blanks on the right are bluegum, I have allready rough turned 2 bowls this morning-in the photo. The 6 by 6's in the middle are liquid amber, and the logs at the back are Camphor laurel. The blanks @ the front are green, but the rest are dry. The sizes of the blanks up front are 200 square by 80 deep. The Blocks in the middle are 6 inches by 6 inches. The logs @ the back are around 1.5 meters long, and around 7 inches bark to bark. Please post your ideas, as to what I should turn out of these pieces. All pieces are relitively free of cracks. Also please post your ideas about green turning, because I will need that info before I turn anymore blanks. See--Hear you next time,
Regards.......Joash:)

Toasty
22nd June 2006, 05:37 PM
I was going to choose, "Send the free wood to Toasty in Canberra" but the selection isn't there...

Tassie Boy
22nd June 2006, 05:48 PM
The sugar gum mate:)
Sorry champ i have no experience either in green turning!!

Nice wood..How'd you score that for free

Auzzie turner
22nd June 2006, 05:55 PM
The sugar gum mate:)
Sorry champ i have no experience either in green turning!!

Nice wood..How'd you score that for free

Bit of sweet talk with some butter on the words.:D No, I always like to make a deal with the sawmiller where he will give me a whole bunch of free wood, and I will then make him a bowl, box, etc: out of part of it.---That is what happened here

Auzzie turner
22nd June 2006, 06:01 PM
I was going to choose, "Send the free wood to Toasty in Canberra" but the selection isn't there...

Sorry mate, I'm not that stocked up with wood:D

Wild Dingo
22nd June 2006, 07:49 PM
I voted Camphor Laurel... simply cause I am majorly in love with the scent that permeates the shed when you play with some!! :cool:

The method in your madness is great young fella... good to see someone else into exchanging in the time honored barter method! I have a farmer who I often do this with... a few turnings no matter how small a bit of this or a bit of that seems not to matter one wit to this bloke "As long as the woods used mate I dont care, cant stand to burn it like the other buggars do so help yourself!" so I make him a clock or a candle stick holder or some other small item and he gets his chainsaw out I get mine out and we go knuts!

Quite interesting to see the looks on peoples faces as we trundle the load home... gotta make my move well before dark else Id be lighting up the moon instead of the road... the F100 must carry at least 2 or 3 ton in her ass end on these trips and what with the trailer loaded up I seem to have my noggin out the window to see since the damned windscreen only shows the sky

thank gawd I like in Brunswick and theres many a fine back road I can take to get home without seein much traffic... and even less boys and girls in blue!

Last time (about 5 weeks ago) I went up there I took my 19 year old son and the DAS future son-in-law and 3 chainsaws which along with his monster made short work of several large Jarrah Sheoak (why does everyone around here have those two? why cant they be different for a change eh? a bit of Elm or Hickory or Oak you know something different!!) and some other specie Im not sure about... DAS also "accidently" took out an old mulberry tree and with the aid of son it found itself on the bottom of the trailer before the old fella realised what happened... lucky for DAS and son he laughed and commented that "Dont worry about it mate I only eat them buggars when Im hungry" and only asked for a half carton of Jim Beam :o which they paid for lucky for them!... seems his grandkids love Mulberrys and this was the best tree on his block! :eek: As I said DAS ;)

Im presently tryin to cultivate another barter with another bloke a bit closer to home... he has some mighty fine Olive and other fruit trees that are BEGGING to be culled by yours truely :cool:

Auzzie turner
22nd June 2006, 10:36 PM
I voted Camphor Laurel... simply cause I am majorly in love with the scent that permeates the shed when you play with some!! :cool:

The method in your madness is great young fella... good to see someone else into exchanging in the time honored barter method! I have a farmer who I often do this with... a few turnings no matter how small a bit of this or a bit of that seems not to matter one wit to this bloke "As long as the woods used mate I dont care, cant stand to burn it like the other buggars do so help yourself!" so I make him a clock or a candle stick holder or some other small item and he gets his chainsaw out I get mine out and we go knuts!

Quite interesting to see the looks on peoples faces as we trundle the load home... gotta make my move well before dark else Id be lighting up the moon instead of the road... the F100 must carry at least 2 or 3 ton in her ass end on these trips and what with the trailer loaded up I seem to have my noggin out the window to see since the damned windscreen only shows the sky

thank gawd I like in Brunswick and theres many a fine back road I can take to get home without seein much traffic... and even less boys and girls in blue!

Last time (about 5 weeks ago) I went up there I took my 19 year old son and the DAS future son-in-law and 3 chainsaws which along with his monster made short work of several large Jarrah Sheoak (why does everyone around here have those two? why cant they be different for a change eh? a bit of Elm or Hickory or Oak you know something different!!) and some other specie Im not sure about... DAS also "accidently" took out an old mulberry tree and with the aid of son it found itself on the bottom of the trailer before the old fella realised what happened... lucky for DAS and son he laughed and commented that "Dont worry about it mate I only eat them buggars when Im hungry" and only asked for a half carton of Jim Beam :o which they paid for lucky for them!... seems his grandkids love Mulberrys and this was the best tree on his block! :eek: As I said DAS ;)

Im presently tryin to cultivate another barter with another bloke a bit closer to home... he has some mighty fine Olive and other fruit trees that are BEGGING to be culled by yours truely :cool:

That's the way to go, It works out quite good that way. And I hope you get that olive wood you were talking about;)

Terry B
24th June 2006, 12:39 AM
Good luck with the free wood.
Why don't you try laminating two of the blanks together for a deeper bowl and some interesting experiments with grain.

Terry B

rowie
24th June 2006, 01:04 AM
Hi all,
This is my latest free wood, The blanks on the left are sugar gum, and the blanks on the right are bluegum, I have allready rough turned 2 bowls this morning-in the photo. The 6 by 6's in the middle are liquid amber, and the logs at the back are Camphor laurel. The blanks @ the front are green, but the rest are dry. The sizes of the blanks up front are 200 square by 80 deep. The Blocks in the middle are 6 inches by 6 inches. The logs @ the back are around 1.5 meters long, and around 7 inches bark to bark. Please post your ideas, as to what I should turn out of these pieces. All pieces are relitively free of cracks. Also please post your ideas about green turning, because I will need that info before I turn anymore blanks. See--Hear you next time,
Regards.......Joash:) ok as for the gum bowls,what u have done looks good but make sure u keep the thickness about 1/6 of the diam or u will run out of wood when u clean up the in/outside later on as with the one on the left.make sure u wax/paint the endgrain & figure/knots or they will end up as firewood
as for the liquidamber, try a lidded container.
the camphor would make some lovely vases/hollow vessels as it will be soft/easy to hollow out.
good luck OZtroponeur

Auzzie turner
24th June 2006, 08:47 PM
Hi, Sorry I havent answered for a while,--computer being out of action. Thanks for all your suggestions. I have made 7 vases out of the logs, averaging about 1 - 1 1/2 feet tall.--will post pics soon. Havent turned any more liquid amber or bluegum or sugargum. Will post pics of more of my work soon,

Regards......Joash