PDA

View Full Version : M42 type bandsaw blade

jow104
22nd June 2006, 07:26 PM
I recently took delivery of a new type of bandsaw blade (to me anyway) known in the UK as M42. I posted a review at the UK web site and if anyone is interested and moderators can allow I would be pleased to post omitting suppliers name.

This type of blade is normally used for metalwork and is extreemly firm (does not easily flex) and the tpi range to me was different to anything I have previously experienced. The tpi varies and the blade I used varied from 6 to 10tpi along its length together with different rakes as well. It made a very clean cut and the kerf loss was smaller than I have been used to.

But the biggest bonus to me is this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/devonwoody/2nd%20album/nailscrew1-1.jpg

Yes I cut through purposely embedded metal objects, a 2" nail and a number 8 screw.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/devonwoody/2nd%20album/nailscrew2.jpg

If interest is shewn and moderators allow I will post my full review.

woodbe
22nd June 2006, 08:12 PM
Interest :)

What BS is that? The table, fence and upper guide look remarkable similar to the BP16a sold here by Hare and Forbes...

woodbe.

Auld Bassoon
22nd June 2006, 08:17 PM
Interest :)

What BS is that? The table, fence and upper guide look remarkable similar to the BP16a sold here by Hare and Forbes...

woodbe.

And the fence and table look very nearly identical to an Electra Beckum 316... (which fence I changed to a Kreg precision one - well worth it!)

jow104
22nd June 2006, 08:37 PM
My bandsaw is the Record RPBS12 now superseeded in the UK by the model number BS and X. The 12 cuts to a depth of 6" and when the bearings are calibrated and table square cuts well and with this new type of steel blade .

Wood Butcher
22nd June 2006, 08:49 PM
Jow, put the review up please. You have me interested!!

(And I don't think any of the Mods, myself included, would have any problems!)

ptc
23rd June 2006, 12:38 PM
I would like to read your review.
please.

jow104
23rd June 2006, 05:52 PM
I am pleased to post this review of the M42 bandsaw blade but I have omitted the name of the supplier owing to the UK site objecting on the grounds that it was advertising. However I would plead "how do you obtain a blade of this nature if you are unaware of a source".

M42 bandsaw blade review by Devonwoody.

A few days ago I took delivery of a M42 type bandsaw blade.

This type of blade is not made from that baked bean can material but most probably would be at home on a moon rocket. Really!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/devonwoody/2nd%20album/blade2.jpg

Take a look at this picture, it went through a two inch nail and a number 8 screw I had purposely embedded. The sound has it cut through the metal just went wssssh and never faltered.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/devonwoody/2nd%20album/nailscrew1.jpg

This blade was made for metalwork initially but I was recommended to try cutting hardwood. The tooth pitch is also not of a convention I have been used to either. The tpi (teeth per inch) varies along its length and my blade was 6 to 10 tpi per inch and the rake also varies along the blade. Attached is the picture of some iroko being cut and I can say that the kerf was minimal and the cut surfaces could almost accept a sander finish to give a planed appearance.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/devonwoody/2nd%20album/cuttingiroko3.jpg

The blade is the 0.025 thickness and I think anyone would be hard pushed to make a kink to the blade, and in use I cannot imagine how anyone cutting timber could get anything but flat surfaces on the cut faces because if there is reasonable tension the blade is so firm between the bearings. (I did remember to release the wheel tension after use because the blade being so strong it might put strain on my poor old saw bearings!)

These blades are more expensive but should compensate with a longer life and the cutting performance was far superior to the more flexible type of woodwork blades.

Some further photographs of the cuts made with this blade.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/devonwoody/2nd%20album/cuttingthroughaknot4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/devonwoody/2nd%20album/cuttingfinishofiroko5.jpg

AlexS
23rd June 2006, 06:58 PM
Looks & sounds like a pretty good lade John. If it lasts twice as long the extra cost will be well worth it. Wonder if there are any Australian suppliers of this blade.

Thanks for the review John.

Wood Butcher
23rd June 2006, 08:04 PM
Jow, If you want post the name of the supplier here. I wouldn't call it advertising merely recommending! That and it would be great to contact them to see if the know of an Australian Agent!

tanii51
23rd June 2006, 08:26 PM
just what i need for my newly renovated saw ( see next post down) hope we can get an aussie agent
just did a google on "metal bandsaw blade+ m42 " looks like we can get them here
the name starrett appears in connection with these if yuo look worldwide google it seems

jow104
23rd June 2006, 08:55 PM
Jow, If you want post the name of the supplier here. I wouldn't call it advertising merely recommending! That and it would be great to contact them to see if the know of an Australian Agent!

To avoid any more antagonoism with the UK moderators who are deliberating on their problem I will not stir the pot at the moment but give them time to sort it out. After all with a world wide web these days they are burying their heads in the sand if they think about it.

A half inch blade 88 inches long can be purchased for around £18 in the UK including local postage. Supplier reckons cutting timber might give a life span of 5 to 10 times longer.

Otherwise PM me.

Wood Butcher
23rd June 2006, 09:07 PM
Jow, PM sent.
Oh and tell those mods over there to have a look here and see how a real forum is run:D

Waldo
23rd June 2006, 10:46 PM
G'day John,

What a great post and an impressive blade. Do you know if it is available for 14" b/saws? Me thinks there'd be a lot of interest in this blade.

jow104
23rd June 2006, 11:20 PM
G'day John,

What a great post and an impressive blade. Do you know if it is available for 14" b/saws? Me thinks there'd be a lot of interest in this blade.

Regular length blades I believe are stock, and a longer wait for specials.

Will PM you the address.

By the way there is quality variation around because of Asian manufacturers I have been informed, so please bear this in mind re my opinion on this blade.

Waldo
23rd June 2006, 11:46 PM
G'day Jow104,

Thanks for helping me out with that info.

jow104
24th June 2006, 07:36 PM
I am pleased to post the UK supplier of the M42 type blade I have used is Dragon Saws Ltd.
telephone number 01803 554269 (but leave out the first "0" when ringing from australia.)
or email
[email protected]

Harry72
25th June 2006, 04:17 AM
Ring Henry Bro's they'd probably stock metal blades like this... but give a proper resawing blade a try as well.

Jow bi-metal blades will chop thru nails too, Id be more worried about dirt and sand while resawing logs.

tanii51
26th June 2006, 11:36 AM
just rang local" leuco aust" they have them or similar he called them a variable pitch blade

woodbe
6th July 2006, 06:13 PM
Hi.

Just spoke to Andrew at Henry Brothers, If you want one of these blades he can save you the freight from the UK :)

He thinks it's a pretty standard metal-cutting blade. It's great for cutting metal, but metal bandsaws run a lot slower than our wood jobbies. So, if you have some old redgum posts with embedded nails like I have, the problem will be heat as the blade fights to cut an aussie hardwood - if it gets too hot the blade will become a display piece :)

If you cut some wuss timber like pine, it will work great.

I'm going to try and ressurect my blunt woodmaster blade to cut the redgum...

woodbe.

jow104
6th July 2006, 06:41 PM
I can reiterate and say that an M42 blade is definately worth having. I cut some 20mm mahogany into three 5mm pieces (as per a thred today for jewellery box compartment pieces) and still had to waste away some timber off the third piece. The kerf was about 1mm.
It has been pointed out to me that the blade should run slower but I have compensated by driving the timber past the blade at a slower rate than normal;)
But if you have a variable rate bandsaw use the lower speed pulley.

The Saw Doctor
13th July 2006, 02:48 AM
I recently took delivery of a new type of bandsaw blade (to me anyway) known in the UK as M42. I posted a review at the UK web site and if anyone is interested and moderators can allow I would be pleased to post omitting suppliers name.

This type of blade is normally used for metalwork and is extreemly firm (does not easily flex) and the tpi range to me was different to anything I have previously experienced. The tpi varies and the blade I used varied from 6 to 10tpi along its length together with different rakes as well. It made a very clean cut and the kerf loss was smaller than I have been used to.

But the biggest bonus to me is this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/devonwoody/2nd%20album/nailscrew1-1.jpg

Yes I cut through purposely embedded metal objects, a 2" nail and a number 8 screw.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/devonwoody/2nd%20album/nailscrew2.jpg

If interest is shewn and moderators allow I will post my full review.

Sorry there's nothing new about this blade, in fact its as common as a English winter. Its available in either M2 (matrix) or (M42 COLBOLT)
which is available at any major saw supplier any where in the world & has
been for the last 20 years including Henry Bros EX-STOCK in what ever size you wish. It is a Bi-metal bandsaw with a D6A carrier steel which is a common steel used in metal cutting bandsaws & yes it will cut your European softwoods with a few nails all day long!! Shove a 6/10vp bi-metal bandsaw into Australian Hardwood & lets watch the smoke start to fly after the first 30'

Brad!!!