PDA

View Full Version : What kind of house are these?

dazzler
22nd June 2006, 09:55 PM
Hi

If you have ever been to hobart and are travelling south up the hill on the "outlet" you may have noticed a house perched on the side of the hill that is all glass and stands on a couple of stilts like in my bodgy drawing attached.

Any idea what they are called. Not a pole home cause the stilts just hold it up. Seems to be all steel RHS construction. Googling Stilt home hasnt helped either.

cheers

dazzler

echnidna
22nd June 2006, 11:14 PM
Its an ELEVATED HOUSE,

but its very likely custom architect (or engineer) designed.
There are a few different elevated houses if you google.

Barry_White
22nd June 2006, 11:44 PM
Maybe a Glass House on Stilts.

silentC
23rd June 2006, 09:27 AM
I think it's called "house of a wanker" :D

bitingmidge
23rd June 2006, 09:50 AM
I think it's called "house of a wanker" :D
See, I can't say that or it'd be the pot calling the kettle black.

That type of footing arrangement is used in a number of instances.

It could be purely aesthetic, or it could be that the ground conditions are such that a pile system is required. Depending on the subsoil and the piling system employed, a minimum sized pile is capable of carrying substantially more load than that exerted by one house column.

One of the ways of saving costs (or engineering more efficiently)is to use fewer piles of bigger capacity. Setting up columns that way means that several (usually four) columns can share one pile.

As a bonus, bracing can be improved somewhat as well.

Sometimes it's done just to look cool, more in keeping with silent's summation, under the guise (disguise?) of "touching the earth lightly", an honourable intent, but mostly pretty wanky.

Cheers,

P (not an engineer's bottom :D )

thebuildingsurv
23rd June 2006, 09:50 AM
Yes I agree with above "house of a wanker" is the correct terminology for this type of housing.

bitingmidge
23rd June 2006, 09:54 AM
Yes I agree with above "house of a wanker" is the correct terminology for this type of housing.

Another enlightened aesthete speaks!

Cheers,

P
:D :D

silentC
23rd June 2006, 10:02 AM
I'm just jealous because I couldn't afford an architect ;)

Programmer
26th June 2006, 05:00 PM
Don't you guys know anything?

It's called a FANG house.:)

dazzler
26th June 2006, 08:38 PM
Thanks all

Programmer, I am tired and weary, but ya lost me;)

What cha talkin bout willis