PDA

View Full Version : First Bowl in 20 years!

Terry B
23rd June 2006, 11:26 PM
After a hiatus of 20 years I have turned my first bowl. It is made from ?stringybark that was destined to be firewood. It was felled about 3 years ago and was very hard. The grain is nice but the cracks are not. I filled them with CA as suggested and the finish is just furniture oil. I have orderded some wax but it is yet to arrive. I will try to cut some bigger pieces of wood and try something bigger.
It is fun to be turning again. I had forgotten how much enjoyment I get from the process.

Terry B

lubbing5cherubs
23rd June 2006, 11:39 PM
Whoooo ...Nice bowl. Nice wood too. You should be pleased with it
Toni

Captain Chaos
23rd June 2006, 11:50 PM
G'day Terry,
Beaut looking bowl for your first encore. :) Wouldn't worry too much about the cracks - these days they are referred to as features. ;) It would seem that you have been lured back into the spiders web. There is no escape, you must turn, turn, turn, & remember to post pictures of your work to feed our habit.:eek::D
Welcome back Terry.
Barry.

Terry B
23rd June 2006, 11:54 PM
Taking pics of my work is a new concept but it is fun and I like to see other peoples creations also so we all need to feed each others habit!!

Terry B

cedar n silky
24th June 2006, 12:01 AM
Taking pics of my work is a new concept but it is fun and I like to see other peoples creations also so we all need to feed each others habit!!
Terry B
Yeah! nice bowl for your first! I reckon it might be the frosts you had recently that cracked the bowl!! I'm sure I saw Armidale in the minuses recently!!:eek:

GC
24th June 2006, 12:04 AM
good one Terry,

in a few months you'll be sitting down havin' a beer and some nuts with a mate, you'll tell him how you made it and have done a heap better since.
He'll reckon its the best thing since....

my mum still has my first bowl, loves it..

GC

Terry B
24th June 2006, 12:08 AM
We only got down to about -9deg C 2 weeks ago. It has been warmer since then (-2deg).
I was up for work about 4am at the time and my car said -5 and it got colder after that. Thank god for the heater. The frost was pretty impressive.

My other interest is Astronomy but it has been too cold to sit quietly beside a telescope. I will wait for it to warm up a bit.
Terry B

Captain Chaos
24th June 2006, 12:09 AM

Terry B No worries there Terry, there are new pictures being posted all the time, from first efforts to brilliant work & everything in between. We even have posts of our clangers for all to analyse & hopefully learn from.
Regards,
Barry.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th June 2006, 12:25 AM
My other interest is Astronomy but it has been too cold to sit quietly beside a telescope. I will wait for it to warm up a bit.

It's a bugger, ain't it? Once it starts to warm up to more bearable standards, then there's higher percentage of cloud cover until we get those nice clear Summer nights which are full of heat haze instead. These cold, clear nights may have the best viewing, but there's always that price to pay. :(

Back to turning... it looks like the cracks in your bowl are all fine hairline jobs? Bummer. It's hard to do anything with small cracks... unless you want to go the route of making 'em larger first. :eek: Nice grain just the same, and it looks like it won't take you much to get back into form.

A lot of the better pieces posted here have been the results of stuff-ups and it's the way they were "fixed" that made 'em outstanding. Most of 'em I wouldn't have picked for booboos, if they hadn't explained what went wrong and how'n'why they fixed it as they did. It's a good way to learn and find new ideas.

hughie
24th June 2006, 01:44 AM
After a hiatus of 20 years I have turned my first bowl. It is made from ?stringybark that was destined to be firewood. It was felled about 3 years ago and was very hard. The grain is nice but the cracks are not. I filled them with CA as suggested and the finish is just furniture oil. I have orderded some wax but it is yet to arrive.

Terry,

welcome, been there and one the 20yr thing although in my case is was abit longer :D
Good looking bowl and yeah cracks are feature now ;)

hughie

Gil Jones
24th June 2006, 04:07 AM
Fine looking bowl, Terry!!
Nice finish too.

Caveman
24th June 2006, 02:27 PM
Hey Terry - nice looking bowl - welcome back to turning and the addiction that it is.
Ditto all the above comments - this is a great site for learning and sharing.

rsser
24th June 2006, 05:22 PM
Welcome to the bowling alley ;-}

Cracks: did they appear during turning or during sanding? If the latter, see the post 'New Tricks'.

Terry B
25th June 2006, 12:43 AM
Welcome to the bowling alley ;-}

Cracks: did they appear during turning or during sanding? If the latter, see the post 'New Tricks'.

No, the cracks were present before I started turning- a product of using firewood as the medium.

Terry B

TTIT
25th June 2006, 12:59 AM
Great start Terry.:D Wouldn't worry about the size too much - quality is more important than quantity in turning (IMHO) - not that would agree with me on that!