PDA

View Full Version : My Video - Loose Tenon Joinery on the Router Table

BuffaloJohn
24th June 2006, 01:44 AM
I made a video that illustrates a new operation for making mortises on the router table. The setup lends itself nicely to loose tenon joinery.

Go to www.EagleLakeWoodworking.com (http://www.eaglelakewoodworking.com/) , click on the "In the Shop" button at the top and click the link for "Loose Tenon Joinery".

I'd love to hear what you think about the setup. Suggestions, criticism & comments are welcome and appreciated!

John Nixon - Buffalo, NY

Dangermouse
24th June 2006, 11:08 AM
Nice setup John. My budget only extends as far as a beadlock jig and a hand drill (not quite in the same league, but works rather well for the projects i've done so far :)).
Did you consider building the foot switch so it incorporates the direction of travel? (I seem to recall some sewing machine foot controls used to do this)

BuffaloJohn
24th June 2006, 11:20 AM
Nice setup John. My budget only extends as far as a beadlock jig and a hand drill (not quite in the same league, but works rather well for the projects i've done so far :)).
Did you consider building the foot switch so it incorporates the direction of travel? (I seem to recall some sewing machine foot controls used to do this)

Thanks Dangermouse. The beadlock system is the best low-tech joinery solution there is. That's a great idea about the direction foot switch. I snagged this foot switch from a sewing machine at the thrift store for $2. I'll have to keep my eyes out for the deluxe reversing model!

BobR
24th June 2006, 11:44 AM
Hi John, nice compact workshop. Interesting video - was the motorised raiser difficult to make, or is this an "off the shelf" item in the States.

BuffaloJohn
24th June 2006, 11:58 AM
Hi John, nice compact workshop. Interesting video - was the motorised raiser difficult to make, or is this an "off the shelf" item in the States.

Thanks Bob. I do certainly make the most of the space I have!
The router lift is a homemade version, and the concept is very simple. If you have the type of router where the height is adjusted with a nut on a threaded rod, it's really easy.

Take a look at the photos in the link below to see how it's constructed. It's made from a cannibalized portable screw driver.

http://www.eagleLakeWoodworking.com/MotorizedRouterLift/index.html

Honest Gaza
24th June 2006, 12:50 PM
Brillaint idea John....for using screwdriver mechanism on the router.

BuffaloJohn
24th June 2006, 10:32 PM
Brillaint idea John....for using screwdriver mechanism on the router.

Thanks. It has worked better than I imagined it would have. The motor doesn't turn without current applied to it, so I never have to lock the router's hieght mechanism. I highly recommend this modification for anyone with that style router - It couldn't be simpler.