PDA

View Full Version : Bibs and Bobs

BobL
24th June 2006, 02:37 AM
Here's some samples of handles I have hand carved from scraps of stuff from the wood pile.

Letter opener and bottom pate knife handles are sheoak. Those on the right hand side are Wandoo and the middle handle on the left is red-gum.

Probably the wandoo has the best tactile (even soapy) feel but in the case of these handles the plainest grain.

The cracked/dimpled surface of the sheoak is also very tactile and the grain is for me always mesmerizing.

Other photos show close up of the sheoak handles. In the case the sheoak is scrap from making a Mallet (see http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=28949&page=2 for details)

These things make great presents for mothers-in-law who already have everything they need.

Wild Dingo
24th June 2006, 03:00 AM
Yeeeeeeeeeeesssssssss!! Now I KNOW what Im gonna do with that major stack of offcuts I had no idea what good they were gonna be for!! Thank you kindly Bob :cool: ... but then you do realize that this is gonna cost me dont yer? I mean I gotta get them blades from somewhere right? ;)

BobL
24th June 2006, 03:18 AM
Oh yessssss. SWMBO now thinks Timbecon is the bees knees and I'm allowed to buy as many of these (and a few other doodads on the side to help make them) I want.

So I make all these leetle knives and stuff that SWMBO can give as presents (along with a useless cookbook) to her friends and mother and Ooooooo. . . "I can give you a unique present that comes from a tree we grew in a tiny suburban block, aren't we the greenest munchkins south of the river"!

Nah, just kinding. SWMBO is a very important person in the process and road tests the tactile feel of all the handles I make. I just make em and she says yay or nay - no questions, she knows what works.

Cheers

Andy Mac
24th June 2006, 02:20 PM
Nice work Bob, what finish do you prefer?

Cheers,

BobL
24th June 2006, 02:57 PM
Nice work Bob, what finish do you prefer?

Cheers,

Thanks Andy.

RE: Finish: sand to 400G, several coats of Organ oil, then organ oil rubbed wet/dry with 400/800G, finish with sponsors trad wax.