PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Lee Valley router bits

inferno6688
24th June 2006, 11:22 AM
Hey guys,

I want to order a few things from Lee Valley, and was wondering what the quality of their router bits are like.

Has any used them? are they worth it?
What brand would they be comparable/on par with?

Cheers guys
:)

outback
24th June 2006, 06:54 PM
I bought some of their Onsrud (sp) bits. I have only used one extensively, it is still going fine, if I had an order going in and wanted more I wouldn't hesitate. Probably not worth it if that's all you're after, don't forget you'll need the insert for each bit.

Auld Bassoon
24th June 2006, 08:57 PM
I've ordered many things from LV, but router bits are not amongst them. Why? Because I like to use CMT or Infinity bits for the main purpose jobs (sometimes after trying a cheap bit to see if it does what I want), and whilst I've no doubt that LV's router bits are as good as the rest of their merchandise, it wouldn't be any cheaper. See Carba-Tec for CMT or Northwood's for Infinity. Both are very good brands of tool.

Wizened of Oz
25th June 2006, 09:19 PM
Compare the LV router bit range with the Timbecon range.
My guess is they are the same.
The Timbecon bits are middle-of-the-road quality and adequate for most weekend warriors.
For top quality, as well as those Auld Bassoon mentioned, there is the Australian made Carb-I-Tool range.

Greg Q
25th June 2006, 09:26 PM
I have switched to Whiteside bits almost exclusively, but this means buying a few bits in one go from America. They are about the same price shipped as CMT, but have thicker carbide, and seem to be at least as good in other respects. I have not tried Infinity, but I have tried Carbi-tool. I have had some good results with a few C-T bits, and two that failed after five minutes on a chipboard project (edges chipped).

Greg

Toolin Around
25th June 2006, 09:31 PM
I've had a few bits from LV and found them to be good on wood, never tried them with particle board.

mat
27th June 2006, 10:43 AM
Not all LV router bits are equal. The onsruds are made in the US, others I have bought are made in Taiwan.