PDA

View Full Version : Dado routing tip in FWW

Rocker
24th June 2006, 08:06 PM
On p. 16 of the current issue of the current issue of FWW (#185), a tip recommends using two spacers to rout dadoes of non-standard widths. It seems to me that the diagrams show the wrong feed direction for the second pass; as shown, it would be a climb cut. Wouldn't feeding in the opposite direction on the second pass be better?

Rocker

Auld Bassoon
24th June 2006, 08:13 PM
Hi Rocker,

I'd always assume that a hand-held router is used right to left unless explicitly stated otherwise, as for a climb cut. From a quick glance at the diagram I see nothing that suggests a climbing cut. Must have a closer look...

PS I love it when that grey wrapped package is sticking out of my letter box when I get back home :)

Rocker
24th June 2006, 08:21 PM
Steve,

On the second pass, the bit will only be cutting the side of the dado farthest from the fence, and will be climb-cutting if the router is fed as shown in the diagram.

Rocker

Harry72
25th June 2006, 03:08 AM
I dont like it, would prefer to have a fence each side of the router base... cant deviate then, and it allows for the correct direction better.
Those auto thickness dado jig's a few of us made a while back are a much better idea...

Slavo
26th June 2006, 01:08 PM
It's like water going down a drain, a router spins the opposite way in the northern hemisphere ;)