PDA

View Full Version : Make your own Jigs

Template Tom
24th June 2006, 09:17 PM
Ove the years I have been required to construct a number of jigs to complete the projects i have been working on. I have made a list of some of the projects I have used over the years (never ever purchased a jig) and I thought i would share with you the various topics
Tom

zathras
24th June 2006, 09:46 PM
Hi Tom,

obviously your eyesight must be superb for your age :D

I'm off to see the optometrist me thinks :rolleyes:

Cheers,

inferno6688
25th June 2006, 11:03 AM
i might join u at the optometrist!! :D

Template Tom
25th June 2006, 03:08 PM
Sorry about that I should have posted a bigger pic I have divided the page in two and hope this is better.

Tom

Template Tom
25th June 2006, 03:24 PM
Enclosed sample of drawings hope these are better

Jig I used when routing the cabinet handles
Jig when routing Mortices
Tee square type Jig for trenching
Trimming Jig

Tom

Wild Dingo
25th June 2006, 03:47 PM
Good stuff mate... are you getting a website up and running? gonna sell cds of jigs from what I can see in one of those pics... mmm interesting

Understand the need to make money but I just think jigs should be free... my opinion is all... make money from what you create using them but the jigs? ah well no worries :cool:

Cheers

jow104
25th June 2006, 05:59 PM
Template Tom,

Could you advise me re the jig showing with the door handle fitted, its application?

Couple of good jokes up top.

Thanks for you for showing.

doug the slug
25th June 2006, 07:47 PM
....but I just think jigs should be free... my opinion is all... make money from what you create using them but the jigs? ah well no worries :cool:

Cheers

I see where you are coming from Wild Dingo but i think it would depend on the complexity of the jig. i think Roger Gifkins would take exception to any inference that he should give away his product for free, same with the other manufacturers of "upmarket" jigs. simpler jigs that lend themselves more to making in the shed for a specific project i agree with you wholeheartedly.

As for that fence/circle cutting jig that came with my Triton router, I hope the useless thing was free. the only use i found for it was cutting it up to make a mount for the triton router onto the woodrat

Stuart
25th June 2006, 08:41 PM
As for that fence/circle cutting jig that came with my Triton router, I hope the useless thing was free. the only use i found for it was cutting it up to make a mount for the triton router onto the woodrat

What's wrong with it? I used it very successfully when making my router table top upgrade. Don't use it much at all, but then, my router rarely leaves the table either.

doug the slug
25th June 2006, 10:03 PM
What's wrong with it? ......

Stu, grab your router and the aforementioned useless accessory. now join the two together, but as you do so watch how much the jig flexes as you tighten the two locking lugs. for a stetup to be completely repeatable you would need a torque wrench. if it flexes that much depending on the tension in locking lugs, how much does it flex depending on the load applied?

Almost every time ive used a router handheld since ive had the triton ive found its accessories not equal to the task and have fallen back to the 20 year old makita which has a better fence system and accessories.

the router itself is great, but the accessories let it down big time

Template Tom
26th June 2006, 09:35 AM
Template Tom,

Could you advise me re the jig showing with the door handle fitted, its application?

Couple of good jokes up top.

Thanks for you for showing.

This Jig was a means of holding the raw material in position with two screws the of course athree templates were required to complete the process
Tom

http://tomodonnell.bigblog.com.au

This may help Log on to photo Gallery
Tom

Eastie
26th June 2006, 10:26 AM
Good to hear from you again Tom. Hope the new website isn't too far away.

Template Tom
26th June 2006, 12:04 PM
Good to hear from you again Tom. Hope the new website isn't too far away.
Eastie
I have no idea when i will have my site up and running again
Tom

Wild Dingo
1st July 2006, 02:55 AM
No worries Doug... can see where your coming from to ;)

As to the Triton attachment I havent used it... cant be bothered with the attachments that come with the things and tend to make my own... ooops sorry Tom! :o

For cutting circles I just made a big ply thingy... a bit over 2ft long one end made large enough to fit the routers base and the other 3in dia... every inch along the thing Ive drilled a hole... when I need a circle I simply attach the router to the jig thingy select the appropriate hole screw it down and away I go... use a sacrificial 1/2in ply under the jig clamped to the work peice and that way no screw holes in work peice... cut to the clamps... jump the clamp cut to the next clamp when the peice is cut through move clamps and cut final peices... whallah! easy as

Sorta like the one that comes with a circular saw... dont use it... prefer to use a length of aluminum extrusion clamped each end this I find faster and more acurate than any "comes with" saw attachment

Let us know when you get the site up and running Tom... more than interested mate! :cool:

zenwood
1st July 2006, 03:11 PM
Looks like a well designed website, with a wealth of information and high-quality illustrations. Look forward to the real thing...

Template Tom
1st July 2006, 04:15 PM
As to the Triton attachment I havent used it... cant be bothered with the attachments that come with the things and tend to make my own... ooops sorry Tom! :

Not the least bit offended as I tend to make my own bits and pieces

For cutting circles I just made a big ply thingy...

Here is my Circle cutting Jig capable of routing circles as small as 40mm Diameter and less if looking foe a wheel like project

Let us know when you get the site up and running Tom... more than interested mate! :cool:[/QUOTE]

Trying hard to get a web page going again
Tom

AnttiJL
8th September 2007, 07:54 AM
Are there any websites that explains the basics and
even more sophisticated methods to make your own
jigs from scratch?

Thanks for your answers and sorry for my bad english!

Woodlee
8th September 2007, 10:25 AM
Good stuff mate... are you getting a website up and running? gonna sell cds of jigs from what I can see in one of those pics... mmm interesting

Understand the need to make money but I just think jigs should be free... my opinion is all... make money from what you create using them but the jigs? ah well no worries :cool:

Cheers

Awwww ,don't be so tight fisted Ding ,the man obviously has a lot of talent and very good thought process to be able to design jigs that produce such wonderful projects.As opposed to me ,you can't get much from a pea sized brain.If you see any of my routing efforts ( and you wont coz I,m not going to post pics of my rubbish on here).You will wet your self laughing.:o

I dont mind coughing up a few dollars for good information and ideas.
Any way you live in the same place I'm sure you could save postage by picking the Cd's up personally :U

I know Tom is well respected on the American Router forum , which I visit occasionally.
Good on you Tom , I hope you do well . Good to see you here.:2tsup::2tsup:
BTW when are your CD's being release and emmucharthey?

Cheers Kev

jow104
8th September 2007, 05:44 PM
Are there any websites that explains the basics and
even more sophisticated methods to make your own
jigs from scratch?

Thanks for your answers and sorry for my bad english!

Noticed your thread and first posting.

If you use the search facility on this forum, jig, jigs, tenon jig, or wording such as quoted I'm sure you will get a lot of reading. Also Google of course.

Template Tom
8th September 2007, 09:54 PM
[QUOTE=Woodlee;582948]Aww ,don't be so tight fisted Ding ,the man obviously has a lot of talent and very good thought process to be able to design jigs that produce such wonderful projects.

Thanks Kev for your kind remarks.

I know Tom is well respected on the American Router forum , which I visit occasionally.

It did take me a few years to convince my friends on the Router Forum that with the use of the template guides greater safety awareness is added to the use of the router. It was also a good number of years ago I tried to introduce my method to my fellow Australians (I am sure the posting will still be available for few unless they are deleted after a certain time) I have been known to travel to some of the major cities to give demonstrations at the various wood shows though I never had a chance to attend the Melbourne show. Well this year (next month I will be attending the show and sorry not as a demonstrator but as a spectator and I am looking forward to going. I intend being at all three days. Should there be anyone wishing to discus new routing techniques I would be only too pleased to meet up with you.

Good on you Tom , I hope you do well . Good to see you here.:2tsup::2tsup:
BTW when are your Cd's being release and emmucharthey?

It has been some time since I submitted a post here and maybe I should submit a pattern suitable for a small box like the one I posted on the Router Forum creating some interest in the use of the template guides

How would you go about cutting the pattern enclosed suitable for a small box approx 250mm x 160mm your answer may be of assistance to others on the forum who may wish to learn new routing techniques.

Tom

David_G
17th October 2007, 01:20 AM
I am the proud owner of a new router, the only problem is I have no idea how to use it! I am in the process of making some display cabinets for small toy cars and would like to have the shelves mortised at each end. I can make the tenons OK on my Triton, but can't work out how to get the mortises a consistent accurate size. I saw a jig for sale at the wood work show at Jeff's Shed which was a fantastic and simple to use thing. However it was 1100 bucks which was way out of my league. I settled for second best and bought a new 2000 Triton work centre which I am enjoying immensely.
Where would I go for jigs to do these mortises?
TIA, David

mat
17th October 2007, 01:47 PM
Put mortise jig into the search box and you will get plenty of reading. Rockers jig comes highly recommended.

Template Tom
23rd October 2007, 09:53 AM
Spent three days at the show. I may have been expecting more, with an increase in the number of demonstrations that I thought would have taken place. It was no different from any other show round Australia.

I do believe there is a need to have more practical demonstrations with the possibility of showing how things were constructed from start to finish with a series of demonstrations to complete a project.

I recall my apprenticeship days when a group of us attended a show where we were demonstrating our skills in the production of a project. (Some 55 years ago at the Glasgow show in Scotland)

There are many woodworking clubs established in every state who are capable of putting on a practical demonstration producing a worthwhile project. As an example, producing a wine rack, which requires a number of processes which could all be done at the same time by a variety of people.
There were some wonderful exhibitions of completed projects on show and I am sure some would have been delighted to make them if only they had been shown how.

Tom

munruben
23rd October 2007, 10:52 AM
I do believe there is a need to have more practical demonstrations with the possibility of showing how things were constructed from start to finish with a series of demonstrations to complete a project.Tom I agree, I recall many years ago going to the Motor show at Earls Court, London and in the caravan section of the show, they actually built a caravan during the show from start to finish. It would be great to see some of the projects exhibited at the wood shows being constructed from go to woa. I think it would make for a better show and many people would return on a daily basis to watch the progress of the products under construction.

Template Tom
3rd November 2007, 04:43 PM
It seems that there are very few people use the template guides with the router. I have submitted a mitred joint suitable for use in table construction that was produced with the aid of the guides on the router. (also a home made jig was used) Reason for submission is to try and create some interest among fellow members with the use of the guides
Tom

Template Tom
27th November 2007, 01:55 PM
It seems that there are very few people use the template guides with the router. I have submitted a mitred joint suitable for use in table construction that was produced with the aid of the guides on the router. (also a home made jig was used) Reason for submission is to try and create some interest among fellow members with the use of the guides
Tom

No one with any interest on how the joint was produced??

wheelinround
27th November 2007, 02:29 PM
No one with any interest on how the joint was produced??

I'll bite Tom

echnidna
27th November 2007, 02:31 PM
Yes Tom, show us how to do it

Template Tom
27th November 2007, 06:54 PM
I'll bite Tom

Well I was expecting someone to maybe suggest the answer,... so it looks as if I will have to post the jig I made. There is a need to undersatand how the template guides are used and it would take more than just a simple posting to explain it to the full. Anyway here is the sketch of my Jig
Tom

Woodlee
27th November 2007, 10:40 PM
Well I was expecting someone to maybe suggest the answer,... so it looks as if I will have to post the jig I made. There is a need to undersatand how the template guides are used and it would take more than just a simple posting to explain it to the full. Anyway here is the sketch of my Jig
Tom

Tom ,
Been to your website a few times , there is mention of a cd rom but no directions on how to purchase a copy just wondering how one gets a copy of your cd rom/s.

Cheers
Kev.

wheelinround
28th November 2007, 07:07 AM
Thanks Tom:2tsup:

will have to do a search for your web site

Template Tom
28th November 2007, 08:43 AM
Tom ,
Been to your website a few times , there is mention of a cd rom but no directions on how to purchase a copy just wondering how one gets a copy of your cd rom/s.

Cheers
Kev.

Hi Kev
Though I have been using the this jig on many occasions I have still to write about it so it does not appear on the first two CD-ROMs but there are many projects to complete with safety detailed. I suppose I was taking using the guides to another step when I introduced this to the Association of the blind as I wanted the clients to achieve some satifaction when making such articles as the small table.
Send me an email and I will forward details if you are interested in the CD-DOMs
Tom

echnidna
28th November 2007, 08:56 AM
Tom its very easy & quite cost effective to put a paypal button on your website.
So people can pay you instantly with Mastercard/Visa

Click the link in my sig line and have a look