PDA

View Full Version : Router choice question from South Africa

hilton
25th June 2006, 06:22 PM
Hi guys

Just came across this forum so decided to join. Hoping to get to know some of you blokes. I'm from Johannesburg (land of the Super 14 Cats team if you follow rugby :-(

Anyway onto my question. I'm needing a hand held router because I find my Triton 1/2" 2400w is a bit big and my hands aren't that big.

Problem is that in South Africa (RSA), we don't have access to a huge range and on top of that, imported goods are blinkin expensive.

I was on a wood movement course yesterday and the very experienced instructor told me I don't need a 1/2" router for hand held use. Nor do I need the variable speed. I'm basically looking at three options;

Bosch POF 1300 ACE 1/4" (DIY) which sells for R699. (about 5.5 ZAR to 1 AUS$)
Makita 3620 850w 1/4" (Industrial) R1600
Triton 1400w 1/2" (Industrial) R2500

The Makita sits best in my hands but I'm worried about the limited plunge depth (35mm) and the little bit of power (850w). Feels great though.

The Bosch is better price wise but I understand the cost saving in buying industrial so going the DIY route erks me a bit.

The Triton sells here in kit form with the table winder which I won't need as I have the bigger brother for that.

So finally, do I absolutely require a 1/2" for edge work/hand held or will a 1/4 suffice. If I can get away with a 1/4" then is the Makita's 35mm plunge depth an issue and if so, is the DIY Bosch suitable?

Sorry for the long winded post but I need to make the correct choice as funds are limited and the suppliers here don't take things back once you've opened them.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers
Hilton

Auld Bassoon
25th June 2006, 06:46 PM
G'Day Hilton

The answer really lies in what it is that you want to do with the H/Held router. If it's just edge trimming, small moulding or rebate work, then a 1/4" unit will be fine. However, if you want to cut dados or bigger trenches (19mm & up), or do any significant morticing work, then a 1/2" will be much better. Most 1/4" units are quite limited as to the bit size that they can accommodate.

If you do go the 1/2" route, I'd definitely recommend soft start, and variable speed too. Some of these machines kick like a mule when they start-up if there isn't a soft start facility.

I have the big Triton in a router table, and for H/held work a Bosch GOF1300ACE, a DeWalt 621 and a Ryobi something, all 1/2", and all capable of taking a reducing collet for smaller bit sizes. As well I have a small fixed based Makita 1/4" edge trimmer.

Cheers!
(A Pommie who lived in RSA for a few years back in the '80's)

Bodgy
25th June 2006, 08:12 PM
Good evening and welcome.

Can't really offer much on the router issue, apart from saying I got by for years with a 1/4" Bosch.

In Oz, we are fortunate that for $100 we can get a 1200 watt GMC 1/2" router. Its a monster, power to burn, if a little unsophisticated.

Incidentally, I've a few Yarpie mates who tell me that SA has lots of interesting hardwoods. Cheap as chips.

Comments?

derekcohen
25th June 2006, 10:14 PM
Hoe gaan dit Hilton?

I grew up in Cape Town and moved to Oz 23 years ago and, with family in Cape Town and Port Elizabeth, I understand the price of imports to RSA.

The answer to your question is that a 1/2" router will always be better since the larger bits are safer and more stable. Personally I find a heavier machine is easier to control than a light machine - not only does it have better momentum, but it will not be as twitchy.

Inevitably the 1/2" machines have more HP than the 1/4" machines, and I believe that there is a lower limit of 1 1/2HP that I would keep in mind which ever you go for. With a lower HP you will be forced to take smaller cuts, and therefore make more passes.

Some larger machines are better than others at being used by hand. The large Triton is not good in this regard, being top heavy. I hear that the new smaller 2HP version is far better in this regard. I still prefer to use my large Elu 177e over my small 1/4" Makita for edging.

What is available in RSA in a 1/2" machine that is smaller in size and has a lower centre of gravity?

Regards from Perth

Derek

BarryBurgess
26th June 2006, 02:54 AM
Hilton if you are using it in a dovetail jig the 1/4" is the best option as it is light weight . I have the Triton (the beast) but that remains in the table unless I have a large circle within a circle to cut and the jigsaw will not do. The baby Triton is only a kilogram lighter than its big brother - too heavy for me. The most polular routers amoung the dovetail demonstrators is the Feestool 1000 /1400W versions but they cost a fortune. I have got a baby Dewalt that is light weight and works well and the price was right on Ebay. Buy one that is under 4kgs in weight but don't expect the grunt of your Triton.

Flowboy
27th June 2006, 05:38 AM
Hi Hilton,

I agree with everyone else, that a 1/2" router will give you better flexibility. I also have a Triton #1 on a bench and wouldn't dream of using it in hand to hand combat. I have two Festool 2000E's, but I'm not sure I'd recommend them. The most important thing apart from suitability for your needs is availability of spare parts and reliable service. Won't matter what you've got if it's away for three weeks if and when it breaks down or when you need new brushes. Personally, I like the Triton, the Bosch 1100 and probably the Makita 3612C. I would also reinforce that a soft start is essential, particularly for mortise/tenons and dovetails.

Regards and good luck,

Rob

Sprog
27th June 2006, 01:23 PM
Repeat after me

No, the Triton router is NOT TOP HEAVY.

Wongo
27th June 2006, 02:14 PM
It is all relative isn’t it Sprog?:D

TassieKiwi
27th June 2006, 04:15 PM
So the triton's top heavy?

I have done all the routing I've needed for 11 :eek: years with my trusty 6312C. Don't often use the speed control, but it's handy. The soft start is a must-have! I do not find the weight affects my work, though I did like the way Sam Maloof slung his old routers about in one hand - using it like a carving pencil. Are they the famous Elu jobs?

hilton
29th June 2006, 04:52 AM
Right, probably more confused than ever :-)

Anyway, my local hardware shop is celebrating 50 years of business this weekend so I'll first check out any specials and let you all know.

Leaning towards the Bosch POF 1300 ACE right now.

Cheers
Hilton

BarryBurgess
29th June 2006, 07:09 AM
Right, probably more confused than ever :-)

Anyway, my local hardware shop is celebrating 50 years of business this weekend so I'll first check out any specials and let you all know.

Leaning towards the Bosch POF 1300 ACE right now.

Cheers
Hilton

Hilton my only advice, is if you can try the router - you will then know if it is suitable for you . Being a good ****** boy the price has to be right as well.
A boer maak a plan.
Barry in the UK

By Golly
24th February 2008, 07:42 AM
Hi

I realise this is a bit late, BUT thought I'd post a comment to assist future buyers.

I received a BOSCH POF 1300 ACE Router for Xmas 12 mths ago (my Makita disappeared), works well, "BUT" it doesn't have a very good chuck design.

Possibly common in 1/4" drive routers, if you tighten the chuck sufficiently to hold the bit it is a major job to remove the bit, need at times to resort to hammer & screwdriver, not good.

My recommendation would be 1/2" drive router, they have a better chuck setup, and you can always sleeve down from 1/2" to 1/4". At this stage haven't found an attachment to sleeve up.

Regards

Golly