PDA

View Full Version : 24-7 of streaming woodworking videos

labolle
26th June 2006, 04:53 PM
This is one of my new favorites: http://www.thewoodworkingchannel.com

24 hours a day seven days a week of streaming woodworking videos for free, you don't even have to register to view. With tool commericals between each show (I like the commercials too.)

sbranden
26th June 2006, 11:02 PM
No good for me as it is only in windows media format.

Carry Pine
26th June 2006, 11:33 PM
Any ideas as to why I just get the wheel of death and a message to say I've lost my connection each time. Is this another free site that I need to pay something for?
Carry Pine

labolle
27th June 2006, 02:35 AM
Send an e-mail to the site admin. and see if they can help you. I did not register or pay a penny and It works great for me. I'm running Windows XP and internet explorer 6.0 connected to the net with ADSL.

The site pays for itself thorugh advertising. I guess.

Barry_White
27th June 2006, 09:20 AM
I just had a look. I'm running XP with Internet Explorer 6 and it started straight out of the box just fine and I only have a 256k satellite connection. The only problem is that it is a bit grainy and its like watching a movie on a postage stamp size screen. Sound is excellent.

For those that had a problem, I had the yellow popup bar come up that said I may need an ActiveX control to run it. Apparentley I must have had the ActiveX control because it ran fine.

The problem with streaming videos is that when you only have a 500meg download limit it chews up your allowance.

labolle
27th June 2006, 03:37 PM
Try double clicking on the video to get full size screen.

Harry72
27th June 2006, 07:03 PM
Download Realplayer and add it to your favorites, no need to even have IE open...
If you go back some time in this forum labolle you'll see we've been watching them for a while now.

Auzzie turner
28th June 2006, 12:28 AM
Thanks labolle (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/member.php?u=10902) for introducing us to your new favourite site:D It was very nice. I am currently running an Opera browser, and watching it full screen with high resouloution in Windows Media Player Format.--Havent had a single problem. How did you get on this (http://www.thewoodworkingchannel.com/) site? Through gooooo:p ooooogle? Are there anbt other sites like this. Thanks,

Regards..............Joash (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/usercp.php)

Lignum
28th June 2006, 01:21 AM
I still havnt been able to get it for over 8 weeks:( All i get is the saftey spiel then it starts to download and download and download and download and.............

martrix
28th June 2006, 01:27 AM
Its working fine for me on 1.5mbp Telstra Big pond cable.
On in 2 minutes, is a demo on how to do Louis Cube marquetry with veneer!

Auzzie turner
28th June 2006, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I'm on 256kps, but will soon be on 1500kps, than on to 24,000kps:D --should be good on that speed

Regards.....Joash

Tassie Boy
8th July 2006, 12:17 PM
Thanks for my new favourite site.. ohh apart from the forum of course!!
im on 512kps at the moment and have no probs viewing it..

diamonds
8th July 2006, 04:45 PM
I had been watching for ages and then one day I kept losing connection. Windows media player had been corrupted by another program so I went to microsoft.com and downloaded media player again and all is ok. Love the channel.:)

dazzler
8th July 2006, 08:28 PM
Is there anyway to get the screen larger but not full screen so it does not get blurry:confused:

Chris Parks
8th July 2006, 10:04 PM
For those that use Opera the new version now runs The Wood Channel. I have also run it into a TV using the S video port on my computer. You could also record it if it ran with no glitches (very rare here). There is also software around to record streaming video to the hard drive and save it as a file.

dazzler
9th July 2006, 07:51 PM
For those that use Opera the new version now runs The Wood Channel. I have also run it into a TV using the S video port on my computer. You could also record it if it ran with no glitches (very rare here). There is also software around to record streaming video to the hard drive and save it as a file.

Hey Chris

any suggestions, its a big wide web out there and Im confused.

after an easy one to use:rolleyes:

thetassiebfg
19th July 2006, 12:05 AM
Hi All

I am having probs viewing this site on firefox any one out there got any hints or tips as to what the cause may be??

Firefox needs an additional plugin - Automatic search comes up with zip and as I have no idea what plugin is required the manual search is useless.
I have WMP9 and Macro8 so not either of those.

I downloaded IE6 (and it works on that) but prefer mozilla products

(Edit - tried Opera as well no go)

Any one out there encounter this problem and discover a solution?? If so i would love to hear from you

Andrew

(yes i have sent an email to the the wwchannel but they are unable to help with firefox)

thetassiebfg
19th July 2006, 01:38 AM
Answered my own question..:o so will tell you my fix as there seems to be a few with FireFox in a similar boat..

apparently there is sometimes a prob with Windows Media Player (WMP) not automatically picking up the WMP info for the plug ins

I did a search on The Mozilla help site and discovered this page on the problem

http://http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=206213

Following the steps listed I found I was missing one of the DLL files in FireFox and after downloading it from suggested site (I spent several minutes trying to locate it on C:/.... but no luck so followed the links
contained in the Restoring the WMP plugin section, took about two minutes to find and download on the web.

My disclaimer on this is if you have no idea what they are talking about or are not absolutely sure of what you are doing get someone who does to help you.. I'm no computer Guru and would hate to see your computer die:eek: because of something i suggested ("Ye be warned")

Now The Woodworking Channel works on my computer i just have to convince my ISP that the line i use that operates at least at 147kbs to let me have more than 60kbs so I can see "streaming video" not "jolty stops and starts":)

One thing I discovered is that while IE6 gives you a little tab to click to get full screen viewing in FireFox you needed to right click on the video image, select zoom, then select full screen..

Cheers

Andrew

Matt ITD
22nd July 2006, 04:32 PM
Awesom website, thanks so much for posting it. Works fine on adsl2 with 20gig downlode limit.:D

tashammer
3rd October 2006, 09:59 PM
No good for me as it is only in windows media format.

i wonder if one could capture and convert? in firefox there is an extension that allows one to capture YourTube videos but don't know if there is an extension that allows the capture of all streaming videos.

Also, if you do not like Real Video, then there is a free replacement called Real Alternative (actually there are a number of free alternatives for quite a few of the mainstream programs who's behaviours have been questioned regarding what information they source from your computer.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

or

http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/finalbuilds.htm

there is even a Windows Media Lite version.

http://emoney.al.ru/capture-streaming-video-and-audio/all-streaming-video-recording-software.htm

If you ignore the title, there is a list of commercial, shareware, freeware video and audio screen capture. I don't know if there are any popups or ads on this page because the way i have Firefox setup bashes them. (Not rocket science, just going to Firefox extension page and reading what each one does).

Stuart
4th October 2006, 11:42 AM
If it streams to your computer, it is capturable ;) Nothing on computers is secure...... :eek: :D

Gumby
4th October 2006, 11:55 AM
True but it isn't that easy unless you know what you are doing.

To download media files streamed through mms/rtsp, you need to know the URL (server address, file name) of a stream you want to download.

Unfortunately, some links to streaming audio and video that you come across on the web are hidden behind JavaScript, Flash or ActiveX. So it is sometimes very difficult to figure out the actual URLs that correspond to the streams being played.

I use URL Helper and Hi Download to get files which are not set to save easily. Both these are available free but are trial versions so only last a month or so. There are many others too. If you want to play around with them, Google 'URL Sniffer' and go from there.

Auzzie turner
4th October 2006, 12:43 PM
I got an email from these guys last night. Some how they found out about my woodturning, and now they want all the videos I have on my woodturning, so they can air them on the Woodworking channel!!:cool::)

It's for real!!

Regards........Joash

Gumby
4th October 2006, 02:28 PM
I got an email from these guys last night. Some how they found out about my woodturning, and now they want all the videos I have on my woodturning, so they can air them on the Woodworking channel!!:cool::)

It's for real!!

Regards........Joash

If you have done some videos, how about sharing some with us here. :)

Auzzie turner
4th October 2006, 02:52 PM
I'll see what i can do

Gumby
4th October 2006, 04:16 PM
Great !

I see you are on the list for the forum CD's so I assume you don't have broadband. In that case, you could put your video on to a disk and send it to me. I will seed it from here and compress and edit if required.

Jedo_03
4th October 2006, 08:28 PM
Great !

I see you are on the list for the forum CD's so I assume you don't have broadband. In that case, you could put your video on to a disk and send it to me. I will seed it from here and compress and edit if required.

Hi All - but in this thread, Joash seems to say he is running BB. . .
""
Yeah, I'm on 256kps, but will soon be on 1500kps, than on to 24,000kps:D --should be good on that speed

Regards.....Joash""

Anyways - I've been watching the WWC for a good while - but seem to pick up the same vids all the time (I watch from abt 8pm to 10pm - seen umpteen reruns of the mantle clock the chippendale cabinet the folding table. . . My favourite is Scott. . .
Cheers
Jedo

Auzzie turner
4th October 2006, 08:35 PM
Yes, we have broaband, I did'nt know you could download them.

Gumby
4th October 2006, 08:45 PM
Yes, we have broaband, I did'nt know you could download them.

:confused: The first line in the first post of the Forum CD thread reads.......

"As promised, the forum videos are now out on CD for those who can't download them directly."

I think you should contact whoever is going to send some to you and let them know they can send them to someone else who can't download them. Then get across to the forum video thread and start downloading.

You can also upload your own video - it's easy.

Stuart
4th October 2006, 08:48 PM
:eek: (edit)
The fact they are downloadable is referred to about 8 times in the "Forum Videos on CD" thread alone
:eek:

schaf
4th October 2006, 09:35 PM
I HAVE BEEN WATCHING THIS CHANEL FOR QUITE SOME TIME,AND FIND IT VERY GOOD.full SCREEN IS FUZZY,ANY SUGGESTIONS.

Gumby
4th October 2006, 10:32 PM
,ANY SUGGESTIONS.

yep, put your glasses on :D

Harry72
8th October 2006, 07:49 PM
Not much you can do as their fastest uploading speed is 300kbps(which is very low res for streamed video...)

Stuart
8th October 2006, 08:36 PM
yep, put your glasses on :DAnd take the caps lock off.

Joash
26th October 2006, 12:27 PM
Ok, go to their homepage, scroll down and look at link of the week:D

I did'nt ask them

Joash:D

Stuart
26th October 2006, 12:49 PM
Pretty cool!

Take a screenshot - keep it for prosperity :)

Here - did if for you (in case you can't capture a scrolling window)
(You'll have to combine the 2 to make a full screenshot - their site is in frames which makes it trickier)

Joash
26th October 2006, 01:17 PM
Hey, thanks a lot. I'll keep that.

Yeah, got an email from them this morning, telling me they're still waiting for my videos, and thet meanwhile they had put my link on the front page.

Thought that was pretty nice of them:)

Bleedin Thumb
26th October 2006, 01:36 PM

It's for real!!

Regards........Joash
This Week’s Link

This week’s link is to the website of a viewer from Down Under!

Joash Boyton is a young turner from Australia who recently wrote in to tell us he’s a fan of the channel and share some of what’s he’s been working on recently. ..copied from their web site.

That might explain how they found out about you Joash, what can't you even remember writing to them?

Soren
28th October 2006, 09:52 PM
I wanted to watch today, but get this message: IE
"Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e31'

Timeout expired

/viewer/viewerbroadcast.asp, line 275
"

anyone able to assist.
I know I have not installed anything on the computer, or changed any settings since last watching the channel (no MS updates either)

Using Firefow, I get this message:
Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0113'

Script timed out

/Viewer/ViewerBroadcast.asp

The maximum amount of time for a script to execute was exceeded. You can change this limit by specifying a new value for the property Server.ScriptTimeout or by changing the value in the IIS administration tools. "

Gumby
28th October 2006, 09:58 PM
telling me they're still waiting for my videos,

so are we :cool:

Groggy
28th October 2006, 10:26 PM
At the moment they seem to be off the air with a "No programming scheduled" message

Soren
28th October 2006, 10:27 PM
At the moment they seem to be off the air with a "No programming scheduled" message

Well, at least I am not missing out on anything then :(

Groggy
28th October 2006, 10:29 PM
next programme seems to be scheduled for 8:59pm when "Woodworking at Home" is due to start.

Nanigai
8th December 2006, 10:59 AM
Thanks guys, a really great site. I'm sure it will help a newbie like me.:D

Gumby
8th December 2006, 02:36 PM
Thanks guys, a really great site. I'm sure it will help a newbie like me.:D

So will our own Forum Videos (http://www.woodworkforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=101) :)

Nanigai
11th December 2006, 02:05 PM
Thanks Gumby,
I've already downloaded some of those video's while I've been lurking around the forums.
They have also been very helpful, thanks again. :D