PDA

View Full Version : Bowl No 2

Terry B
26th June 2006, 11:07 PM
My second bowl in 20 years! Same wood as the last time (stringybark) with the same problems ie lovely grain but cracks ++. I have filled them but they still opened up. The wood should be dry as it was felled years ago. Oh well they just add to the character.

Terry B

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th June 2006, 11:40 PM
You do what you can with what you've got.

Cracks or no, you're right about it being some lovely grain and the form you chose shows it well. It would've been a shame to have it disappear up a chimney in a puff of smoke. Good job! :)

ss_11000
27th June 2006, 07:03 PM
nice work, got to agree with ya, beautiful grain.

Bluegum
27th June 2006, 08:31 PM
i've had people say that stringybark is only good for handles or as mentioned burning. I think you have proved them wrong mate it looks great.

Tassie Boy
27th June 2006, 08:57 PM
Beautiful grain on that wood.

We have been burning a bit of stringybark on the fire!!!
Mabye i should save a few logs!
Great bowl

powderpost
27th June 2006, 09:50 PM
Lovely timber, simple design, well executed, a winning combination. Well done Terry.
Jim

A-Marks
28th June 2006, 02:16 PM
Looks like yellow stringy, Up here (cooloolabin sunshine coast) we get a red variety as well Both fantastic timbers the red crotches are trully beautiful as is your piece of stringy there too...
Thanks for sharing it with us.

I'll see if I can post an object turned from red stringy - gotta find some first though as its getting a little harder to find.

Terry B
28th June 2006, 03:37 PM
Looks like yellow stringy, Up here (cooloolabin sunshine coast) we get a red variety as well Both fantastic timbers the red crotches are trully beautiful as is your piece of stringy there too...
Thanks for sharing it with us.

I'll see if I can post an object turned from red stringy - gotta find some first though as its getting a little harder to find.

I have plenty of it (about 25ha of trees). I think you are correct and it is yellow stringy. I just went for a walk and have found many fallen trees that I can "harvest" some blanks out of. There seems to be another species as well that has much more twisty branches. I might try to cut one off and try it as well.

Terry B