PDA

View Full Version : Box #2 finished

tonysa
27th June 2006, 12:08 AM
well finally got the box completed after a couple of hiccups and thanks to zenwood for tuning my #4 and giving me some tips for finishing the splines, AND BIG thanks to Dazzler for sending me some tassy myrtle and red cedar as spline material (I used the myrtle)

Made jig to cut the splines (pic 1)
First pass and the saw blade wasn't cutting flat so made extra pass at what i though was 3mm offset but ended up 3.5 mm offset (pic 2) so had to run it through again.

Made up some spline material and sanded and thicknessed (pic 3)

hmmm, spline placement looks way out, no worries she'll be right

everything going sweet up until the hinges. No worries, stanley knife and some gentle chisling should do the trick - NOT. GRRRRRR ! Big tear out.
Mental note for next time - make rebate for hinges on router before assembly or use other method. (eg the hinges that fit into holes)

Back onto the TS and took 5mm off the height. Quick sand and back on track, except I lost my routed finger cutout - will do again later. Splines look better placed now.

No more rebate for the hinges, fixed to rear of face.

Finished article sanded to 400 and couple coats trad wax - looks much better with the splines.

Until next time ...

cheers
tonySA

BobR
27th June 2006, 12:38 AM
Sounds like a lot of learning here. It has paid off in the end though. You should be happy with effort No.2.

Harry72
27th June 2006, 04:20 AM
Quality is progressing!(nice spices too:))

jmk89
27th June 2006, 06:34 AM
Thanks for letting us in on the techniques you are using (as well as the two steps forward, one step back stuff) - it is really helpful to learn how others are fixing their stuff-ups, as most of my time seems to be spent coming up with solutions to just such glitches in my own work.
Greenie on way

RufflyRustic
27th June 2006, 09:30 AM
Great work TonySA! have to agree with you, it looks better with the splines.

Cheers
Wendy

DPB
27th June 2006, 09:31 AM
Tony, no one ever said it was going to be easy. If it were, there would probably be little sense of accomplishment in doing it. Keep up the journey, it only gets better.

Thanks for sharing your trials on this one. Anyone who has attempted a box has been there. The good thing is - every box you make adds to your experience and grows your skill level.

I'm curious about the last photo. To me, it looks like there is a light source coming from within the box. Is this correct, and if so would you please explain how you did it?
:)

AlexS
27th June 2006, 02:02 PM
Nice box, Tony, and an excellent choice of timbers. Sympathise with your problems, but treat them as learning experiences.

Anyone who has attempted a box has been there.
:)
Some of us are still there.;)

zenwood
27th June 2006, 04:34 PM
Looking good Tony. The somewhat chunky splines suit the somewhat chunky box, and look good: give it an almost finger-jointed look.

How did you end up trimming the splines? The #4?

tonysa
27th June 2006, 08:59 PM
bobr - very much a learning experience, more than you'd know LOL (or perhaps you do ?) yep i'm happy with the box

harry72 - cheers mate, nothing like a little spice in ya life

jmk - learning by the seat of my pants I can tell ya. all being stored up for next time. Its like building a computer or installing o/system. first few times are daunting, after a few years its a piece of cake. i doubt whether woodie stuff will be a piece of cake but at least i'll know what traps to be aware of

ruffy - thansk for your support wendy, appreciated

dpb - my artistic flair - i wish. nah, just the way the fluoro caught the light. sorry to disappoint. good idea though.

alexs - i'm still in there, next box on the way. and already i've realised i've made a big blue when i glued the sides up. didn't match the pattern for the lid grrrr.

Zen - hiya. splines sure help and I used the #4 stanley you tuned up for me. A few passes over the oil stone and she was taking hair off my arm. held the box in the vice protected by some pinus crapiata. worked well. i went wrong way with one spline, error hidden at back. amazing what a photo can hide.

thanks for encouragement

cheers
tonySA

Wardy
27th June 2006, 09:08 PM
Hi Tony, like what everyone has said, we learn as we go.Keep up the good work and have some fun along the way.Well done :)
Cheers Wardy