PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry box for daughter

stride88
27th June 2006, 12:50 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just finished this for my youngest daughter. Hope she likes it.

It's padauk and curly maple with a shellac and wax finish. Dimention wise - it's about 11" × 8" and 5" high. Both lids open to separate compartments with lift out trays. The joinery is hand-cut. I shaped the lids with a couple of hand planes (one having a convex bottom).

Thanks for looking!

DPB
27th June 2006, 01:25 PM
Fantastic! Your selection of timber and finish is perfect for a box that is bound to be an heirloom piece. Wow - love the design. Is it yours? You've set a new standard, Stride. Hats off to you!:)

Let me be the first to give you a 'greenie'.;)

DJ’s Timber
27th June 2006, 01:31 PM
Absolutly STUNNING love the dovetails:D :D

Have a GREENIE

Cheers DJ

BobR
27th June 2006, 01:36 PM
Great work - love the design - and the shape of the lid really sets it off. I will join the greenie brigade.

AlexS
27th June 2006, 02:07 PM
Lovely box Stride88. I really like the design and you've chosen a couple of nice timbers, esp. the curly maple.

Coincidentally, I'm just putting the finishing touches to a jewellery box with 2 lids that opens in the centre to a couple of trays. Other than that, it's quite different to yours. I'll post in a couple of days.

Wongo
27th June 2006, 02:08 PM
This is one of the best I have seen here. It is beautifully made and I love the dovetails.:)

Don’t worry mate if she doesn’t like it I will have it.:cool:

zenwood
27th June 2006, 02:13 PM
A superb piece. Love the way the book-shaped top hints at how to open the leaves of the lid. The dovetails, the finish, the pegged dividers, brilliant stuff.

How is the top hinged?

RufflyRustic
27th June 2006, 02:16 PM
I think that if she didn't like it, it would give grounds for dis-inheriting her maybe.....

Beautiful, lovely contrast between the two timbers.

Cheers
Wendy

Wood Borer
27th June 2006, 02:19 PM
Great selection of timber and beautiful joinery

labolle
27th June 2006, 03:26 PM
Another very cool design I have not seen elsewhere. Lot's of very cool stuff going on In Oz I see. I'd love to see a pic of the sole of the curved plane that you used to do those lids.

Greenie heading your way.

zenwood
27th June 2006, 03:43 PM
Lot's of very cool stuff going on In Oz I see.
And in Canada too. :)

chrisb691
27th June 2006, 06:42 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just finished this for my youngest daughter. Hope she likes it.

It's padauk and curly maple with a shellac and wax finish. Dimention wise - it's about 11" × 8" and 5" high. Both lids open to separate compartments with lift out trays. The joinery is hand-cut. I shaped the lids with a couple of hand planes (one having a convex bottom).

Thanks for looking!

Purely a subjective response, but that box is way up there on the list of nicest boxes I've ever seen. Have a greenie.

Auld Bassoon
27th June 2006, 07:24 PM
Beautiful box Stride!

The varied depth of pins looks great, and the curly maple is just wonderful :)

Great effort and well done indeed!

ss_11000
27th June 2006, 08:14 PM
brilliant:) :cool:

tonysa
27th June 2006, 08:45 PM
outstanding box stride88, something I can only hope to achieve

Wardy
27th June 2006, 09:19 PM
Welcome aboard Stride.Absolutely stunning. The choice of timber, the dovetails,everything about it.Truely inspiring. :)
Cheers Wardy

Ramps
27th June 2006, 11:45 PM
great design and very well finished
Love it ... got the thumbs up from the misses on looking over my shoulder after my exclamation.

ddeen
28th June 2006, 06:50 AM
very original design and hand cut dovetails - wow. I am sure your daughter will like it.

Sculptured Box
28th June 2006, 09:59 AM
Welcome, I like the originality of your work, is there more to show?

Tony Ward

stride88
28th June 2006, 02:27 PM
Thank-you to all for your encouraging words!