PDA

View Full Version : A couple of new boxes

AlexS
28th June 2006, 02:50 PM
A couple of recent boxes.
The 1st one is a blackwood jewellery box that I started ages ago and lost enthusiasm for. Decided I should either finish it or throw it out. Not real pleased with it - it looks a bit clunky and the lid doesn't sit too well, but at least it's finished.

The 2nd is Tas Myrtle and Backheart Sass, with Jarrah legs and red velvet lining. Much happier with it.

martrix
28th June 2006, 03:20 PM
Nice job on the boxes AlexS, I like the feet on the second box and the interior looks neat, a touch of Art Deco?

The profile on the lids of the Blackwood box look very similar to the profile on HNT Gordon planes, just wondering how you did it?
I'm guessing you have some kind of linisher or table belt sander?

AlexS
28th June 2006, 03:30 PM
The profile on the lids of the Blackwood box look very similar to the profile on HNT Gordon planes, just wondering how you did it?
I'm guessing you have some kind of linisher or table belt sander?

I roughed them on the bandsaw with the table tilted, then cleaned them up with curved cabinet scrapers.

BobR
28th June 2006, 03:34 PM
Nice work Alex. Really like the second box. How have you joined the frame on the lid.

zenwood
28th June 2006, 03:43 PM
I reckon they're both great, Alex. No.1 is nicely shaped (reminiscent of a wooden plane), and has the interest of an unusual lid opening. No.2 is superb. Not sure about the feet though. Maybe a tad smaller, or perhaps they should extend further underneath the sides - dunno.

RufflyRustic
28th June 2006, 03:53 PM
Great work Alex! I know how you feel when you lose enthusiasm for a WIP. Still, Greenie for finishing it. I like the design ideas it in.

The second box - you should be proud, it is beautiful.

Cheers
Wendy

bennylaird
28th June 2006, 04:00 PM
Luv both of em, great job mate.

Wongo
28th June 2006, 04:02 PM
Alex, I really like the second one.:)

Sculptured Box
28th June 2006, 05:18 PM
AlexS

My preference is for Box No. 1 - well done!

Tony Ward

jmk89
28th June 2006, 05:26 PM
I agree with Tony - Box 1 shows a really individual approach to the jewellery box. I can imagine working on the concept and coming up with a really great and blokely box along those lines to put change, keys watch and wallet.

Simomatra
28th June 2006, 05:31 PM
Wow

What great boxes Alec love both of them.

The first box is very stylish love the centre hinges You should be proud of it

Great insipartion for a new box maker

Wardy
28th June 2006, 06:55 PM
Excellent boxes Alex, keep them coming.
Cheers Wardy :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th June 2006, 07:52 PM
Box 2 looks good but no. 1 is the one I'll be ripping off. ;)

tonysa
28th June 2006, 08:06 PM
nice lookin boxes alex, the second one's my favourite, probably becasue of the lid but the first one has some neat features.
cheers
tony

ddeen
29th June 2006, 06:11 AM
Alex, both very nice boxes but I like # 1 more. Its the first time I have seen that type of hinge design.

DPB
29th June 2006, 10:46 AM
Alex, I like both of them, particularly the originality of the first. This is the second box this week with a hinge in the centre of the lid. A theme is developing here - hmm - what can I do with this idea? Thanks for the inspiration, Mate.:)

zenwood
29th June 2006, 11:19 AM
Alex: I've had a play with your box in Sketchup. To me, wider flatter feet make it sit more comfortably without the tippy-toes feel.

AlexS
29th June 2006, 02:50 PM
Thanks all.

Alex: I've had a play with your box in Sketchup. To me, wider flatter feet make it sit more comfortably without the tippy-toes feel.
Amazing how changing the feet like that makes such a difference to the whole appearance.
I think I still prefer the original - vive la difference.

Not quite sure where to go with the first one. As it is, it's not a success, but probably worth perservering with that idea. I can feel a bottle of inspiration coming on.:cool: