PDA

View Full Version : Box for My Brother

RufflyRustic
28th June 2006, 02:53 PM
My brother's 40th birthday this weekend. He's always preferred hankerchiefs to tissues, so I made him his very own box for this purpose.

It was one of the pieces I got from Mullimbimby WoodWorks at the Bris Wood Show earlier this year.

Yellow carrabean or cedar - known as both
A little bit of ordinary pine
260 L x 140WTop (110W bottom) x 1200 tall
The top simply lifts off - handle attached with glue and c/sunk screws
Finished with the suite of Ubeaut Finishes - Sanding Sealer, Hard Shellac, EEE and Trad. WaxThe yellow cedar was an absolute delight to work with, a gentle sweet smell, reminds me of raisins; very nice to drill, plane, sand i.e. no splitting, chipping, or carrying on whatsoever.

This has to be the most well-behaved, polite, considerate, nice and quiet wood I've ever worked with. Definitely a true gentleperson but totally androgynous though. I think I have a new favourite timber:)

The first photo is in natural light - the colour is very subtle, so I tried some photos in flourescent light which really highlights the yellow. And added a photo of it unfinished.

cheers
Wendy

AlexS
28th June 2006, 03:17 PM
Nice looking box Wendy, like the rounded edges & dowelled joints.
That looks like some wood I was sold as yellow wood. Nice to work with and smells quite nice.

zenwood
28th June 2006, 03:23 PM
Nice innovative design. You're brother should love it.

What is the side joinery?

Wood Butcher
28th June 2006, 03:25 PM
I got to see this box in person yesterday and I can say that the photos do it no justice. Superb work Wendy.

BobR
28th June 2006, 03:31 PM
Nice box Wendy. Going to make a great gift.

Wongo
28th June 2006, 03:38 PM
Cool Wendy. Gonna be a nice present.:)

RufflyRustic
28th June 2006, 04:01 PM
Nice innovative design. You're brother should love it.

What is the side joinery?

Groan!!! time to own up :o Butt joints, nailed, holes puttied :o But it's neater than all my other butt joints!!!:o

Thanks Guys! :D It would have been very plain box if left the standard shape.

Ah geez WB - thanks!!

Yeah, I reckon Studley's going to give me a reddie for the photography - it would be deserved too :rolleyes:

Cheers
Wendy

Lignum
28th June 2006, 04:11 PM
Great stuff Wendy:D The quality of your work concidering your limited resources shows just how good your skills are devloping. Keep it up:D

TassieKiwi
28th June 2006, 04:14 PM
top job W - be proud!

Dennis

Sculptured Box
28th June 2006, 05:26 PM
Wendy

I like your butt (joints) - well done. I've done some work with Yellow Cedar in the past, do you know whether it is the same as Yellowwood (Latin: Flindersia xanthoxyle) a hardwood of costal rainforest native to northern NSW and the Gympie district?

Tony Ward

Simomatra
28th June 2006, 05:39 PM
Wendy

Well done great box very original

Also love yout style wuth the photography

Nice lookin finish as well

Your brither should be very happy

Auld Bassoon
28th June 2006, 05:50 PM
Good looking box there Wendy!

Keep on keeping on, eh :)

Tankstand
28th June 2006, 06:17 PM
Wendy, I know your brother will be delighted his little sister was so creative!

Well done,

now guys,

have we finished admiring Wendy's box?;)

Wood Borer
28th June 2006, 06:41 PM
Wendy,

I wish I had your energy to keep on making so many wonderful things. Well done.

Wardy
28th June 2006, 06:52 PM
Hi Wendy, what a creative sister,your brother will have pleasure every time he reaches for the hankies.Great looking box:)
Cheers Wardy

ptc
28th June 2006, 06:58 PM
Wendy.
You are amazing,
very nice.

RufflyRustic
28th June 2006, 07:35 PM
Tony - not sure about where the timber originates to be honest, I only bought it because I'd never heard of it before, because it was yellow and it was very cheap, but don't tell my brother that :) I'm hoping I'll come across more of it soon, to see whether it really is as nice as I said. Another non-forum local WoodWorker firend says there is some local to here, so maybe it is yellowwood??

Simonmtra - style?? oh yeah, my point-shoot-and-pray style, that's right ;)

Tankstand - (insert finger tch tch tch waving smiley here) found it http://www.ubeaut.biz/nono.gif http://www.ubeaut.biz/awink.gif

Woodborer - the more stressed I get the more woodwork I seem to do ergo ... I must live in a constant state of high stress, or maybe I'm looking to balance the time spent at work with time spent really enjoying myself :D

Lignum and others - Many thanks

Three more butt-joint boxes to be finished and then it will be time to get back to dovetailing, maybe even a blind dove tail or two.

cheers
Wendy

Wood Butcher
28th June 2006, 07:45 PM
Wendy,

I wish I had your energy to keep on making so many wonderful things. Well done.
Not to make you feel bad or anything WB but you should see the other projects she has on the go!

Lignum
28th June 2006, 07:47 PM
Not to make you feel bad or anything WB but you should see the other projects she has on the go!

And have a look at her web site. A great run down on her work can be seen:D

MajorPanic
28th June 2006, 07:51 PM
Great job Wendy! http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

Well done, your brother should be quite chuffed!! :D

tonysa
28th June 2006, 08:03 PM
way to go Wendy ! I like it ...
Cheers
Tony

RufflyRustic
28th June 2006, 08:11 PM
Aw Shuchks Guys and Gals - you're making me blush!!!!
Thank you all, for the Greenies too.

Cheers
Wendy

Phil Spencer
28th June 2006, 08:23 PM
My brother's 40th birthday this weekend. He's always preferred hankerchiefs to tissues, so I made him his very own box for this purpose.

It was one of the pieces I got from Mullimbimby WoodWorks at the Bris Wood Show earlier this year.

Yellow carrabean or cedar - known as both
A little bit of ordinary pine
260 L x 140WTop (110W bottom) x 1200 tall
The top simply lifts off - handle attached with glue and c/sunk screws
Finished with the suite of Ubeaut Finishes - Sanding Sealer, Hard Shellac, EEE and Trad. WaxThe yellow cedar was an absolute delight to work with, a gentle sweet smell, reminds me of raisins; very nice to drill, plane, sand i.e. no splitting, chipping, or carrying on whatsoever.

This has to be the most well-behaved, polite, considerate, nice and quiet wood I've ever worked with. Definitely a true gentleperson but totally androgynous though. I think I have a new favourite timber:)

The first photo is in natural light - the colour is very subtle, so I tried some photos in flourescent light which really highlights the yellow. And added a photo of it unfinished.

cheers
Wendy

Nice work Wendy have a greenie

Phil

Driver
28th June 2006, 08:58 PM
Good work, Wendy. Interesting design, well executed. Have a greenie!

ddeen
29th June 2006, 06:03 AM
Wendy, very nice work. Very lucky brother!

Zed
29th June 2006, 08:24 AM
cool, "outa the box" shape.

KRH
29th June 2006, 10:33 AM
Nice boxes Wendy. You also have some great stuff on your webpage, particularly the rustic stuff which is a style I like also.

RufflyRustic
29th June 2006, 04:21 PM
Thanks KRH

It really is an evolving design, rustic is always good for starting with and now as a fall-back type style. I'm finding I'm starting to move away from pure rustic to something probably uniquely my style for example the different box designs starting to filter through.

Whatever it is, it's Fun!!!:)

Hope you have as much fun too

cheers
Wendy

RufflyRustic
4th July 2006, 12:02 PM
Whew!, It's official, I can relax now. Brother Dearest likes his hankerchief box, but I think his wife likes it more :D

cheers
Wendy

CameronPotter
4th July 2006, 03:37 PM
Nice work Wendy!

I am glad that it got the right response from the receiver:D (and his wife - so that it can stay in the house ;) ).

I hope that all is well with you and your job. Your posts here seem to be very positive again - so I hope that means the rest of your life is going well too...

Cam

MajorPanic
4th July 2006, 08:18 PM
Whew!, It's official, I can relax now. Brother Dearest likes his hankerchief box, but I think his wife likes it more :D

cheers
Wendy
Wendy,

Was there any doubts??

Not from where I am standing! ;) :D :D :D http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

RufflyRustic
5th July 2006, 08:15 AM
Thanks Major :)

Hi Cam, I'm a happier little vegemite these days. The holiday was really good. I'm also very happy cause we got a little craft show happening today at work and I've got a nice amount to show and sell.

Yep, there indeed will be pictures. Should be good :)

cheers
Wendy