PDA

View Full Version : Quick Q: why do you bandsaw the lid off?

Stickmangumby
28th June 2006, 09:01 PM
From reading several threads on this forum, it seems like the general way to go is to make a closed box, and then bandsaw the lid section off. I'm wondering what the advantages are in cutting the lid off the completed box, rather than making the base and the lid seperately.

labolle
28th June 2006, 09:03 PM
1. Matching Grain.

2. Perfect Fit.

Sculptured Box
28th June 2006, 09:17 PM
Agreed: - (1) Perfect fit; (2) Match of grain.
Plus: - It's easy and the results are guaranteed.

Afterall: - Are there any better alternatives ??????

Tony Ward

KRH
29th June 2006, 10:40 AM
Agreed - cutting the lid off is the way to go.

However I use the table saw. Not as close a match as a bandsaw cut due to the wider kerf. But I have a problem with bandsaw wander that I haven't been able to overcome yet. I tried the fence offset solution but haven't yet got the accuracy I want.

If using a table saw, adjust the blade height to a little less than the thickness of the material (about 0.5mm) and then make the final lid separation with a sharp knife. Works fine for me.

zenwood
29th June 2006, 12:30 PM
The only time I make the base and lid separately is if I make the lid out of a solid piece of wood, for example, here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=18107).

Hickory
29th June 2006, 01:10 PM
I have made them with BS lids and TS cut lids as well as flat plank (timber) lids. The \TS cut lids require a special touch to keep from eationg up the lid when the last cut seperates the two pieces. I have tried cutting sliver shy of cutting through and breaking apart the two halves, I've tried hot glueing to a solid piece after cutting the three sides, I've tried double sided tape to a sled. And I've tried the BS cut on smaller boxes. I reserve the BS for the smaller boxes.

I have also used a method where you cut a 1/2" wide groove (half the thickness), in each piece prior to glue up. (write down the exact measurement and location of the groove) After the glue-up and the piece is sanded and ready on the outside. Cut another groove (1/2 the thickness) so that the last pass intesects the other groove leaving a matching lip on the inside of the top piece and the bottom piece. This makes a nice seal and closure on a removeable lid. Or hinged lid if you taper the lip. You have to plan ahead and make the box appox. 1" bigger in height than the planned finish piece as the grooves will consume an inch of the side height.

Here are a couple simple boxes using the grooves cut w/TS method...
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/hickoryknee/PA180063.jpg

AlexS
29th June 2006, 02:43 PM
I've never used the bandsaw to separate them, but if it's going to be a hinged box I separate using a Jap saw.
I use a similar method to Hickory's if the lid is just going to sit on the carcase. While the sides are still in one or two pieces, cut the slots for the lid & base, and also cut one where the lid will separate from the base (all cut on the inside). When you cut the sides to length, keep a bit of waste that will be used to set the t/s later on.
When you assemble the box, make sure you mark which is the top & bottom. Using the scrap, set the t/s to the correct depth and the fence correctly, and separate carefully. This works best with a square-ground t/s blade, but can be done with a normal blade.

Will come back later & post a diagram.