PDA

View Full Version : Strip Built Canoe

Mattkk
29th June 2006, 10:31 PM
Some photos of my canoe. The interior has just been finished. More photos coming soon.

Plans from Glen-l. Build Your Own Boat (http://www.glen-l.com/)
Its called a stripper
I made it from western red ceder with a llttle bit of pine. The woodwork (shears, etc) is made from ash. Currently making paddles

fxst
29th June 2006, 10:33 PM
drooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
plans are ?
greenie aimed and fired:D
Pete

Mattkk
29th June 2006, 10:49 PM
Stop dribbling on my canoe

AlexS
29th June 2006, 10:56 PM
Lookin' good, bet you can't wait to get it in the water.

Mattkk
29th June 2006, 11:38 PM
Did I mention that I made it in a kitchen

Paul B
29th June 2006, 11:48 PM
Just so long as you can get it out of the kitchen.

When I was into making kayaks, there was a bloke over in the US who made a 17' kayak (a stripper) in his basement, but then he couldn't get it out. Had to pull the window frame out first.

Looks great by the way.

Ramps
30th June 2006, 12:16 AM
Fantastic
I did notice the kitchen stuff in the background of the first pic
I'm envious ... to be up to that stage ... when's the christening?
Looks like the outer stem was put on put on after the stripping was complete. Is that right? I haven't read of/seen that method b4.
Wow great effort.

starr
30th June 2006, 01:52 PM
Very impressive.

If you are married, you must have a gem of a wife to let you do that in the kitchen.

bitingmidge
30th June 2006, 02:17 PM
I like it too... a LOT.

Very pretty indeed. How much does it weigh?

Cheers,

P

robbiewy
30th June 2006, 05:20 PM
Niiiiice !!! Are you going to test it for water leaks over the sink?:D

kiwik
30th June 2006, 06:31 PM
Like the canoe matkk, you must be single,no women Ive ever met would
allow that in the kitchen.
Is it an opitcal illusion or does your floor have waves in it

Mattkk
30th June 2006, 11:28 PM
Haha. I checked before I started if I could get it out of the Kitchen. No problems there. The doors are big enough. I do have to buy a new car to transport it though...didn't think that one through.

Mattkk
30th June 2006, 11:45 PM
I should have it in the water in the next couple of weeks. Just finishing off the paddles... no point lauching If I can't go anywhere

The all up weight of the Canoe is approx 25 Kgs.

Ramps - Not sure what you mean by the outer stem? If you are referring to the laminates on the bow they were put on after the strips were completed.

Thanks for all the compliments.

BTW - building in the kitchen was nothing - My next project will be a runabout made in the bedroom. hahaha

graemet
1st July 2006, 12:09 AM
A lovely job and finish. I'd be afraid to use it anywhere that doesn't have a nice soft beach to launch from. It's amazing the force exerted by a loaded canoe on a pointy rock! DAMHIK.
Cheers
Graeme

Ramps
1st July 2006, 10:59 PM
Matt
yeah the stem will be the laminates on the bow, some also have laminates that the strips are attached to at the bow and stern (inner stems) and they are often attached so the strips stop at the stem. many sea kayaks don't have ant stems at all.

Wongo
2nd July 2006, 12:25 AM
Beautiful work.

Mattkk
13th July 2006, 08:43 PM
I've finished the Canoe. I should finish off the paddles next weekend. Will launch the weekend after that.

Purpleheart
13th July 2006, 10:19 PM
Awsome work.

And in the kitchen no less.

Reminds me of when I was a young kid. My parents purchased an old run down Victorian homestead. The room they ended up making as their kitchen was used as a saddlery, and upstairs in what ended up as a bathroom and a dressing room was a boat building room.

I think the boat was eventually lowered out over the front verandah/balcony.

The house was on 50 acres of river flats, so it didn't have that far to go to hit the water.

Once again, amazing work !!:)

Cliff Rogers
13th July 2006, 11:36 PM
There is a strip built in the latest Australian Woodworker mag.

Ramps
16th July 2006, 09:45 PM
Whoa Matt
Great job ... next w/e the big launch
Looks like she's been put to bed here ... dog's been pushed out has she?:D
Just sent the out-laws back East now I can get started!
C U on the water

bat
22nd July 2006, 02:37 PM
That is THE coolest thing I have ever seen.

Nice work!

Wife says I can't make one in the kitchen. :(

Wild Dingo
22nd July 2006, 06:36 PM
Ramps many stripper canoes have laminated outter and inner stems... the inner stems are shaped buy the angle of the strips marked and shaped with block plane before you put the strips on the outer stems are put on after the striping is complete and shaped to the centre keel strip and sides for a smooth transition

The Mac McCarthy Wee Lassie and Wee Lassie 2 canoes are done exactly so :cool:

Well done on doing it in the kitchen Matt :cool:... mine allowed me to measure mark and cut all the forms (1in chipboard) in the living room of our last place... then things changed and now a few years later Im just starting to recut the moulds again for another attempt! :cool:

Heres now 19 year old then 15 year old son shaping one of the moulds...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid31/pf39052521722925cc496f97d7f22380b/fd48f9a8.jpg

Finished moulds for both Wee Lassies
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid31/pef364f061040807b00643de5de826c3a/fd48f91f.jpg

In the then new shed
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd24b3127cce9b837af00b3800000016108AZMnLNy2ctL

Yes yes messy work I know but then I was working with one of Aussies hardest and heaviest woods by gar aint no point bein clean an tidy when the 1/4in strips of woods fightin yer every inch of the way :mad: but then I sorta had one of those rare light bulb moments and realized building even a 12ft canoe in Tuart Sheoak and Jarrah was a bit well... mad even for me! So I canned the idea till now

Ramps
22nd July 2006, 10:26 PM
Dingo
You trying to tell me that you're going to start a wee lassie again:rolleyes: ? One inch chip board is spretty impressive:eek:
Plans are coming together for the Ted Moores Redbird. Thanks for your offer of the Wee Lassie moulds but i am after something that can carry the whole family ... at least while to two young-uns are light-weights. Originally it was going to be a sea kayak for me but SWMBO "requested" that I should do a family" one first:( . Still want to strip build as it will be good experience for the kayak.

chitswood
28th July 2006, 03:51 AM
Excellent!

urban-wombat
28th July 2006, 10:31 AM
first class work

9Fingers
28th July 2006, 12:59 PM
Looks great matt. Going to give that a try myself someday.

Mattkk
29th July 2006, 11:00 AM
Launched the canoe. First test passed..It floats!!! no leaks. Took a bit of getting used to in terms of paddling it about but after a short amount of time got the knack of it. Here are a few pics.

Clinton1
29th July 2006, 12:02 PM
Matt,
Do you mind if I ask a few questions about building a strip canoe.
I got a copy of the Aust Wood Review (?) and the plan and build description are confusing me.
If you don't mind, I'll dig out the mag later on and fire away.

Mattkk
29th July 2006, 03:05 PM
Clinton,

Ask away. Happy to field all questions.

Matthew

Wild Dingo
29th July 2006, 03:27 PM
Bloody Stunning work Matt!! :cool:

Man that must make you feel proud eh? ;)

Now questions!
1) with the seat... did the plans for that come with the plans for the canoe? or did you buy it complete? how do you find the leading edge? being as they dont appear to be rounded very much does it cut into the backs of your thighs?
2) how were the plans? I had heard that some of GlenLs plans were lacking a lot of info still doable but plans not complete or unclear and they had to fudge it as they went is this what you found?
3) Are the paddles your design?
4) how much do you estimate it cost from woe to go?
5) Would you do it again? if so what would you chage if anything? if not why not?
6) What made you choose that design over the plethoria of others available?
7) Do you think the 16fter will be amply big enough for a family of two adults and two wee nippers? what about gear? camping stuff etc?

Okay that will do for now... probably be more to come after you respond

Well done!! Cheers! :cool:

MAD
29th July 2006, 09:03 PM
that looks fantastic!

i would love one of these for fishing at the lakes :D

Ramps
29th July 2006, 10:25 PM
Matt
Looks even more impressive, if that's possible, out on the water.
I take it the christening went well. Looks fantastic.
I have a bunch of q's as well but some of them are covered by Dingo the others, if they're still relevant can be posted later but one did you use bead and cove strips cos it doesn't look like it in the earlier photos. If not why did you choose to do a rolling bevel and would you do it like this again?

Mattkk
29th July 2006, 10:55 PM
First of all. Thanks to everyone who has said something about the canoe. I really appreciate the comments and compliments, it is great to find so many people interested in wooden canoe building.
<o></o>
Now to the specific questions that Wild Dingo raised.

1) with the seat... did the plans for that come with the plans for the canoe? or did you buy it complete? how do you find the leading edge? being as they dont appear to be rounded very much does it cut into the backs of your thighs?

** The plans did come with seat plans. I used them for the frames but did pick up Gil Gilpatricks book on Canoe building. I used this to learn how to cane the seats. I did have to order plastic cane from the US AUD$50 as I could find none in OZ. The seats cost about $35 in materials per seat. Significantly cheaper than buying a complete seat, plus I now know how to recane my mothers outdoor seats.

I did "pencil" round the edges of the seats so there are no hard edges. The caned seats are very comfortable. It does take time to do each seat but I'm really glad I did. They look great, at least to0 every one that has seen the seats, and my bum has no complaints thus far.<o></o>

2) how were the plans? I had heard that some of GlenLs plans were lacking a lot of info still doable but plans not complete or unclear and they had to fudge it as they went is this what you found?

**Everything that was important was well described. As I mentioned above I did pick up a book on strip building canoes. I used the plans, instructions, and the book to guide me. This was my first ever boat building experience so when in doubt I referred to all available resources inc internet but ultimately used my common sense. It was not rocket science.

3) Are the paddles your design?

** No, I used Gil Gilpatrick plans. They are a laminate of ash and WRC shaped to the plans in the book.
<o></o>
4) how much do you estimate it cost from woe to go?

** All up, excluding tools that I bought, it was about $2000 inc paddles and frames. In retrospect could it have been done cheaper? Yes. I think I could have done it for about $1700. I did have wood, epoxy, fibreglass cloth and some tools (unused) left over. However some of the wood I will recycle into new projects. The frames I will use to make a work bench from. The tools I will use again. I did note that a commercial Canoe of the same weight would have cost me about $2500 and paddles of similar quality would have been about $100 per paddle. I have no regrets when it comes to the cost and time taken. It was a great project.

5) Would you do it again? If so what would you change if anything? If not why not?

** I would build another. I do have another project in mind first though; Next time around I'd investigate using balsa instead of WRC and use 4oz cloth to build it light.
<o></o>
6) What made you choose that design over the plethoria of others available?<o></o>

** Ummmm.. to tell the truth... I had four beers one night and just ordered the plans. They turned up and I started!
<o></o>
7) Do you think the 16fter will be amply big enough for a family of two adults and two wee nippers? what about gear? camping stuff etc?
<o>
</o>** The plans allow to build as a 16' or a 17'. I build the 17' version. Interestingly, I have a family of two adults and two nippers. The Canoe rides well with three adults in it (3x80kgs, total 240 Kg) plus case of beer and other items. I don't think that there will be any issue with the family and camping stuff on board.
<o></o>
Regards,

Matthew<o></o><o></o>

Wild Dingo
30th July 2006, 04:11 AM
Great answers Matt

I noticed you have Gils book which Ive also got in it he gives plans for several canoes (if its the same book of course) would you make one from his book next time?

Also mate you told us you have a missus and 2 nippers! :D so it wasnt a guess... I was wondering if you thought it would do the trick... you say youve had 3 adults in it without any probs but see 2 nippers are mighty wriggly creatures and therefore a lot different load than 3 adults who know better than to wriggle squiggle and phart around... was wondering how you thought it would go let me know when you try it out?... oh by the way I have 8 of them little creatures (only half of mine are older now and would be highly offended at bein called nippers)

With regard to Gils book again... what do you think of the big (20ft??) one at the back the Laker I think its called? Now that would be a family camping canoe eh!! :cool:

mmmm the having to buy the cane ex US is interesting can you pm me the details? I havent gotten that far as yet but will do in the not to far distant future so may as well get the cane in now than later... a nice sit back winter job eh?!

Thanks for the info mate

Enjoy yourself

Note to Ramps... yeah mate Ive begun the Wee Lassies... AGAIN... this time Im going to bloody well finish them! And they wont be made of Tuart either :rolleyes:

Clinton1
30th July 2006, 08:46 PM
Matt (and all others),
In the August "The Australian Woodworker" there is an article on "Building a Woodstrip Canoe".

The author made a 4935mm long strip canoe from The Bear Mountain Boat Co plans - "Chestnut Prospector".

In the article he talks about making the stem mould and using 12 x 1200mm long pieces of 6 x 19 mm hardwood to make the inner and outer stem.

What is a STEM?
Where does the inner stem go?
What does the inner stem do?

He then lays the first plank on each side along the sheerline, and then the stem is faired so the first plank lies against it.

What does this mean?

Can someone describe what the outer stem does when it is laid over the finished hull.

Thanks

Ramps
30th July 2006, 10:43 PM
Clinton
About to tackle the my first canoe so no expert on the story.
I had read Nick Schade's Strip Built kayak and had no idea what a stem was as his designs (and many other kayaks) don't have a stem (niether inner or outer) but as I started my study of canoes (canadian like ... as per the Aust WW)

I discovered that the strips on the side of the boat attach to a bow and stern stem at the front/back these are often a series of bent thin strips of hardwood (or a steam bent piece/s) so they are the same shape of the bow/stern. This inner stem piece is temporarily attached to the the end mould or form that points the front/back of the boat. In Matts first pic the start of this thread the end of all the strips are attached to inner stem. To attach the strips to the inner stem the stem piece has to somewhat resemble the angle the the strips approach. So the stems are "faired" to form the same angle before the strips are attached.

The third pic shows where Matt has attached the outer stem to the bow. It is obvious as Matt's stem is a contrasting piece (normally fairly resilient) timber wrapped around the bow, to take the knocks of coming into shore etc.and to finish the boat nicely.

enough talk have a look at Ross's site (Blue Heron Kayaks for a blow by blow pictorial of the process ... a Wee Lassie in the link below but this guy has a fantastic site.

http://www.blueheronkayaks.com/kayak/wlii/stripping.htm
Hope this has been more of a help than confusion:o

Wild Dingo
31st July 2006, 01:49 AM
Matt (and all others),
In the August "The Australian Woodworker" there is an article on "Building a Woodstrip Canoe".

The author made a 4935mm long strip canoe from The Bear Mountain Boat Co plans - "Chestnut Prospector".

In the article he talks about making the stem mould and using 12 x 1200mm long pieces of 6 x 19 mm hardwood to make the inner and outer stem.

As I get REALLY confused with mm measurements as Im a dinosour in that I learnt feet inch stuff and havent yet been able to convert the two so I stay with what I know... so I will leave that bit alone ;)

What is a STEM?

The curved end peice at the front and back of a canoe

Where does the inner stem go?

It is the inside stem which after building you dont very often see... if you imagine the stem peices as two peices both cut in half longways and separated now of each peice you cut in two one peice put to one side the other put onto the stem mould... the planks (strips) are then laid around the canoe moulds meeting at the stem peice... this is the "inner stem" that they lay on

What does the inner stem do?

It gives a place for the strips to lay on whilst building the canoe... this inner stem must be faired (shaped) to give the fairest curve to the ends

He then lays the first plank on each side along the sheerline, and then the stem is faired so the first plank lies against it.

What does this mean?

Fairing in its simplest form means to make the curve (shape) even and smooth... so in the above quote hes saying that the inner stem peices are laminated and fitted to the stem mould BEFORE he begins the planking process... the sheerline is the top line of the boat that you see in the water... so with a canoe that is built on moulds UPSIDE down the sheerline is the first plank you lay (the keel being the top of the upside down canoe and the last part of the planking process)... and as the sheer is the line that people see when they look at the finished boat... and that forms the beauty of the shape as people will see it IN the water this "sheerline" must be as near to perfect as one can get this is done by sighting along the "line" as you "lay" or fix the first plank to the moulds... you do this by getting down and sighting along that first plank from all angles to be sure its "fair" as in to be sure theres no ridges hard spots or other imperfections to the line that the first plank (sheer) makes... If you dont get the sheerline right it will be bloody obvious because every other plank mates with it and any inacuracy will exacerabate the further you plank

For example if say you have a bump between the first mould and the stem on one side and you dont correct it by "fairing" that bump will distort the shape more with each following plank... okay fairing in this instance would mean backing the plank of and planing the mould or stem whichever has the bump until the plank lays nice and smooth... if you have a bump on the stem and leave it and not fair it down you will have some seriously weird stem when you get halfway around it as each subsequent plank will be more distorted... so you "fair" it... sight it as per below

So once you have the plank onto the moulds all the way (temporarily clamping or screwing them to the moulds) you need to fair the inner stem so that the ends of the boat make a smooth transition... this means that you will have to plane the inner stems to allow the first "sheer" plank to lay nice and "fair" all the way from one stem around the moulds to the other stem...

Once you have the inner stems "faired" to the sheer you work your way up the moulds around the turn and to the keel planing the inner stem as you go so the whole way around is "fair" in other words smooth even and without distortion or defect in how the planks lay... which bend you will find interesting to make the planks meet the keel at which point you will definantly APPRECIATE having a japanese dukusi saw!

Can someone describe what the outer stem does when it is laid over the finished hull.

Thanks

The outer stem covers the planks directly over the inner stem... this serves a multitude of purpose... 1) it gives added protection to the stems of the boat for beaching as per Ramps comments and 2) it protects the ends of the planks from water ingress and keeps it altogether 3) it is also faired to the shape of the sheer and the turn of the planks at the widening (narrowing depending on your view) of the boat to bring them into a smooth point ending (this is not necessarily a sharp point but rather a smooth ending...

A boat no matter if a canoe or a large schooner must a) have a smooth and "fair" sheerline to look good a poorly built boat with a poorly executed sheerline will look like shyte... b) must have smooth transitions around the stem (s) and into the transom... boats are curves sharp abrupt angles have no place on a boat (old shipwright saying ;) )

Okay all up?

1) The sheerline is the line you see when you look at a boat normally the line that lines with the deck on a larger boat but essentially the top most plank or strip

2) The inner stem is the stem laid on the mould to form the shape of the stem

3) The outer stem is the covering stem that covers the planks at the ends

4) To make a boat "fair" or "fairing" is the process of making the boats turns sweeps and shape smooth without irregularities bumps defects or other that would distort or show badly in and on the boat... it is also why one sands and sands and sands the hull when completely planked so that the body of the hull is "fair" and smooth with no distortion

Another point I will make is that some people cut the planks across the stem others cut the planks on an angle to the stem... either will work... the across the stem method will mean a wider stem is all the angle to the stem method will mean a smaller stem... so when you place your outer stem you will either have a wide final stem or a smaller final stem this of course is your choice as to which you prefer on looking at Matts Id assume he cut the planks on an angle to the stems rather than across the planks as the stem ends are small and the outter stem is neat in its look... more often than not those that have made the accross the stem cuts to their planks have a larger stem peice than Matts show (however I reserve the right to be wrong here cause Matt didnt say which way he went! gotta cover me bum somehow! :p )

Final point... on larger boats there is generally (and this is a generalization as with all things boats there are always compromises and alternatives to the rules) but generally and without going into specifics or great detail they have but one stem (unless its a double ender) that is attached to the keel they larger boats have whats called a "rabbet line" and "profile line" and even in some boats such as Al Mason's Sorkust (1930 double ender) a "ghost line" cut into the stem and keel into which the plank is attached so that the plank becomes part of the keel and the keel and stem peice becomes part of the plank or strip making for a smooth fair transition... the rabbet profile and ghost line are made so that the plank fits perfectly into the keel or stem timber and no plank ends show thus keeping water out of the ends of the planks... a canoe bein so small and without any serious keel does not require these lines... but does use an inner and outer stem peice instead to serve just the same purpose to keep the water out of the strip planks ends and to look sweet and "fair" :cool:

That Clinton is a very very VERY generalised comment and not a very good one Im afraid... but Im tryin to be helpfull here and hope I havent confused you even more!

Cheers!!

Note I love boattalkin!! :cool:

Clinton1
31st July 2006, 11:09 AM
Thanks fella's.

I have a few more questions after reading your answers, but I think it might be better to pm them or start a new thread.

Again, thanks

Wild Dingo
31st July 2006, 01:47 PM
No Clinton... well if you must :D ... but either keep posting here (Im sure Matt wont mind will you mate?) or make the new thread so others can see read and comment mate only real way to keep getting the info out there and hell even us old pharts can learn too!! ;)

Mattkk
21st August 2006, 11:31 AM
I think that the laker was designed with a flat stern to allow an outbourd motor to be attached. I think that it would be a great canoe for longer trips.