PDA

View Full Version : Camphor vase--help needed

Auzzie turner
30th June 2006, 11:45 AM
Hi, This time I am turning a vase out of Camphor. Turned it this morning(30/8/06). It has the most burlish grain in it. I have never seen Camphor with this most grain. There is a spot on the side where there is some rot. As soon as I turn the inside, It will fall out. Also there is a knot on the other side of it, where it has fallen out. Does anyone know how to harden the soft wood, and does anyone know how to fill in the knot? Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards........Joash

P.S I also put a pic of a vase that has worked out nicely(also out of the same wood.)

rowie
30th June 2006, 01:14 PM
see "hardening spalted wood" thread

rsser
30th June 2006, 06:25 PM
Great piece Joash. Take a bow.

You can use cheap superglue to keep the knot in and to harden up soft grain. Just squirt her in then spin the piece with a bit of 120 grit against it to create some wood-dust and force it in. .. stand aside so you don't get the glue in your face.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th June 2006, 09:10 PM
I agree with Ern, it's definitely a prime candidate for CA. (superglue)

The voids can be filled with a good epoxy resin which can be stained to suit the surrounding timber. Black is common, to emulate resin, but in this case I'd probably choose more of a chocolate brown.

Personally, I'd fill the external voids as thoroughly as possible and turn it down to final form without actually finishing, then wrap the "iffy" area in a good duct tape and start hollowing. Once the walls are nearing final thickness, start applying CA from the inside, fill the internal voids with epoxy and sand/finish. Finally, remove the duct tape and finish the outside at as low an RPM as I can.

Instead of duct-tape I've also used a few radiator hose-clamps joined together, but the protruding bits can be dangerous. They'll do a lot more damage than just bark a knuckle. :eek:

That will be a lovely piece when it's finished. Actually, it's a lovely piece now. Good form, too. :)

Auzzie turner
1st July 2006, 12:24 AM
Hi, Thanks for your opinions---I always take both your opinions as expert advice. I will post some pictures of it here when it is finished, till next time,

Regards...........Joash

Auzzie turner
1st July 2006, 01:38 AM
:) :)