PDA

View Full Version : A year in review

Eastie
18th December 2002, 10:10 AM
Just a few tips I reminded myself off this year:

If you drop a chisel, don’t try and catch it. If you do try and catch it and end up slicing a neat line straight down the entire length of your thumb put some antiseptic on it straight away, don’t just stick a rag around it. Also, doctors hate trying to stitch up wounds made more than 48 hours ago.

If you drop a chisel, oh yeah, did that twice.

If something shoots of the end of your router table past the secured featherboard unexpectedly, you won’t find it by looking in the direction it travelled unless you’re in an open paddock. Follow the trajectory until you have bounced off at least two walls and you will find half of the missile. The other half will never be found.

DarrylF
18th December 2002, 09:44 PM
Good tips for the new player. A couple more:

Routers work one way only. Try to cut in the wrong direction a piece that's too small while holding it too close and don't be surprised if you slice up a finger tip. Count yourself as one lucky SOB 'cause you didn't lose a good chunk of a finger.

When doing a test cut with a dado blade in a table saw, use a scrap piece that ISN'T small enough to disappear into the blade followed by half your push block - all in a split second.

Scared me enough to think twice anyway http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

mikmaz1
18th December 2002, 10:36 PM
hi all ,
heres one that everyone should know!(i do now)
DONT RUSH!!!!!
i did on the table saw and spent 8 hrs in the hospital getting the tips of my l/h fingers sewn back up.
seeyasoon mik

GC
18th December 2002, 11:12 PM
Another.

If you hear the sound of your (near completed) turning change pitch. Look out!!
Smashed a fluro light and bounced of the wall 6m away to land at my feet.

Please see my Worst failure thread in woodturning.

GC

John Saxton
18th December 2002, 11:25 PM
The year in review....Visa,Visa,Visa.
MwaaamwaaaMWaaaaa

[This message has been edited by John Saxton (edited 18 December 2002).]

soundman
19th December 2002, 01:07 AM
If you become aware someone ripping on a radial arm saw hit the deck immediately as sooner or later a rocket powered sled will pass your way. just above hip height

Kev Y.
19th December 2002, 12:07 PM
The year in review!!

1. taken up wood turning, a cheap hobby http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/frown.gif

2. new second hand lathe $$$$$$ (not too expensive)

3. turning lessons from a MASTER (justified as well worth the cost)

4. NEW turning tools (credit card and bank accound getting warm)

5. OUT GREW the second hand lathe, purchased a new DVR (bank account and credit card stress increases)

6. Broke small toy bandsaw - require stronger bigger (read expensive) one.

7. made lots of new knowledgable, experienced, helpfull, kind, shareing friends.

in review, not a bad year at all.

Kev

sunshine
20th December 2002, 09:47 AM
Kev:

I'll just say "Ditto"

Phyllis