PDA

View Full Version : A word of caution - push blocks on table saws

Eastie
25th February 2003, 10:53 AM
A couple of weeks ago a friend and old colleague took a jagged piece of flesh out of the base of his right thumb. This occurred whilst ripping 22mm strips from a 1000 x 500 x 22 mm board (LWH).

Instead of holding the push block fair and square on top he admitted regularly holding the rear edge, leaving a good proportion of his hand exposed to the blade as the last section of cut was made. Unfortunately his grip shifted and his hand contacted the blade. The below diagram is a fairly accurate depiction of what he was using.
http://www.woodworkingtips.com/woodtips/images/wstip12b.gif

There are a few ways to counter this from happening – other than the obvious (un)common sense of holding it on top.

Options to improve the design are plenty, i.e. attaching a handle to rear of the push block (an old plane handle would be ideal – watch for the depth of screws compared to the required depth of cut).

Another option is to insert an overhang that prevents hands slipping towards the blade – i.e. cut a horizontal groove with a tenon saw or similar around 1” from the top of the rear of the block & insert a sturdy piece of ply that overhangs the sides slightly and the rear of the block by 2” – if vision is a must use perspex.

Other ideas are more than welcome.

------------------
"A good scare is worth more than good advice"

Dean
25th February 2003, 02:10 PM
A handle n top would be the way to go http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Dean (edited 25 February 2003).]

John Saxton
27th February 2003, 08:50 PM
I guess that this is a timely reminder that safety is of course paramount whenever we enter the shed first off for the day.

Most of us have been there and had the odd scare or so ...some of us have been unfortunate in losing part of a finger as in Eastie's post and as have I in the early days, but the ghosting sensations in the finger are a constant that ensures safety is adhered to...

Every now and then a post comes up with someones misfortune...which serves in part to rouse us from our apathy that is a part of human nature to a heightened state of awareness,and whilst I can empathise with those that do get an injury I hope that no-one ever gets a serious injury that would impart hardship on themselves or their family.

Cheers:)

DPB
3rd March 2003, 03:21 PM
I read this on a site today and thought it was a timely reminder - perhaps one we should post in bold red and display in our shops to be read each day.

Warning: Despite our best efforts, woodworking remains dangerous. Even the best practices and push devices cannot guarantee absolute safety. Woodworkers have to evaluate their work habits to be sure they are being as safe as possible. If you are at all uncomfortable with a procedure, stop and find a better solution before continuing. Accidents happen fast, and you may not have a second chance.