PDA

View Full Version : MSL-3815 help please.

Slow6
1st July 2006, 12:36 PM
Gday'n'Gmorning Folks :)

I'm having some woes regarding my lathe.. long story short it has a bad vibration
due to an unbalanced master spindle which in turn sets the spindle pulley out of true
and makes the machine useless at anything over 1100 rpm (3200 is its max)
I've returned the headstock to the store for repair and have been told that all the
machines have the same problem and therefore its irrepairable.
I had a dig through the archives last night and noticed the odd mention of this problem
in the past.
my quandry... should I get a full refund and buy a different lathe altogether? (bearing in mind $1500 is my max and I dont have the luxury of looking through the trading post for sox months)
can I get the lathe engineered easily, and who would do a job like that?

if I go another lathe it must have the outboard capability and I'd really miss the variable speed.. sadly I just cant find anything like the MSL-3815 in that price range, would be a great lathe if it ran like it should.

thanks for reading guys :)

RETIRED
1st July 2006, 01:59 PM
where in Victoria are you?

Slow6
1st July 2006, 02:24 PM
where in Victoria are you?

Maldon.. not far from Bendigo, close to Castlemaine.

ubeaut
1st July 2006, 03:41 PM
I know Maldon well - These forums were started just down the road in Welshmans Reef, say g'day to Andy Rigby and Lez Maygar for me.

Sorry - Got a bit carried away there........

Get your money back a vibration like that isn't acceptable. It is obviously in that price range because it doesn't deserve to be in a higher one, most likely with that problem it really deserve to be in much lower price range.

If you pay $1,500 you should at least expect that the thing should run better than an el cheapo for under $400 but by the sounds of it this thing doesn't run as well and a replacement won't and they should have been sent back to the manufacturer and fixed by them instead of fobbing them off onto to an unsuspecting public who in most instances know no better and will try and live with it.

I most certainly wouldn't.

Sorry again - Rant mode off.........

Take it back in the long run you won't regret it, you probably will if you keep it.

Cheers - Neil :)

Slow6
1st July 2006, 03:56 PM
Fair dinkum? :)

only been here a couple of years.. seemed a good place to stop a while and recharge. dont think I'll leave till I yearn for a better climate.

RETIRED
1st July 2006, 04:13 PM
I agree with Neil.

Contact Jim Carroll about the Technatool.

ubeaut
1st July 2006, 04:14 PM
Yeah the whole central Vic area grows on you after a while.

Have a look above I was doing a major edit of my post while you were posting yours.

Cheers - Neil

RETIRED
1st July 2006, 04:21 PM
Yeah the whole central Vic area grows on you after a while.

Have a look above I was doing a major edit of my post while you were posting yours.

Cheers - Neil
Home sick?:)

Slow6
1st July 2006, 05:06 PM
I have done as suggested.. I had the option of trying to get the thing engineered to work and then sending the bill off to said store.. but time being a major factor I think its best to call it a day and get rid of the lathe all together. a real shame that the machine was let down by a bit of bad manufacturing.. like I said it would have been a very decent lathe if not for that one (major) issue and dredging through the forums history I've come across 3 other people who copped the same thing with the same machine.. dated 2005 too :o you'd reckon the manufacturer would have sorted it by now.. or the supplyers would have clued on and would not stock them :(

but enough whinging.. I'll drag my sorry #### back to melbourne on monday and get the $$ back.

thanks Neil and :) I'll get on to carroll and see what I can get for my money.

avagoodweekend :)

Mulgabill
1st July 2006, 07:48 PM
Slow6,
Just for interest is it a Timbecon/Sherwood MSL-3815 or a Carba-Tec?:confused:

Slow6
1st July 2006, 08:23 PM
Gday Russell :) its a carbatec mate.. I know the sherwood appears to be the same except for the colour.

I did think I might try to see a sherwood running on monday if I can find one. I'm not holding my breath tho.
I dont think I'll be able to stretch for a 3grand lathe so if I can find a balanced msl3815 I'll consider it.

do you have some wisdom for me?

rowie
1st July 2006, 08:37 PM
if I can find a balanced msl3815 I'll consider it.

do you have some wisdom for me?
buyer beware?once bitten twice shy?
gday mate,
the old girl couldnt keep up with all that walnut huh?;)

Slow6
1st July 2006, 08:46 PM
the old girl couldnt keep up with all that walnut huh?;)

aww.. Rowie mate, the old girl didn't even get a chance :(
Nothing has changed.. the lathe has always vibrated at high speeds.. its just that once I saw the problem I couldn't live with it. now its just a bare bed with no headstock, and I'd just built a bench for it too.

I went and saw Ian after I left your joint and had a perv at his Stubby:eek:

all I can suggest mate... you distract the bugger and I'll get in the back of the toyota:D

hows that poor dog of yours goin.. got the bucket off yet?

rsser
1st July 2006, 08:56 PM
Hey Lube, it's Ern, not Ian, and if you can move it on your own without crucifying your back it's all yours ;-}

Sorry to hear about your news though; not good enough by a long shot.

Slow6
1st July 2006, 09:06 PM
Sorry Ern :) I'm bad at names if I'm at dinner with half a dozen people.. a forum this size is a nightmare.

I googled the stubby just out of interest today.. one look at the price "alt F4"
stunning machine you have there.. I regret not getting you to turn it on while I was there, my own fault for procrastinating over Rowies blanks for so long.

I look forward to seeing what you do with that bit of walnut burl ;)

rowie
1st July 2006, 11:52 PM
hows that poor dog of yours goin.. got the bucket off yet?
mongrel tore it off and chewed it to bits while i was out :mad: . hasnt touched his stitches though.good boy!:D
if u dont get ur new lathe tomorrow i have a mini lathe here(yes, variable speed) that u can borrow to keep those withdrawals away;) .

Slow6
2nd July 2006, 12:17 AM
yeh well.. if I had stitches in my nuts I wouldn't touch em either:D

I'll be in melb monday trying to chase down a lathe.. If I get stuck I might take you up on that offer;)

Mulgabill
2nd July 2006, 12:01 PM
Gday'n'Gmorning Folks :)
....... unbalanced master spindle which in turn sets the spindle pulley out of true
and makes the machine useless at anything over 1100 rpm (3200 is its max).....I:)

G'day Slow6, Just curious about the max speed of your CT MSL-3815. CT only spec this lathe as 2100rpm max!

....its a carbatec mate.. I know the sherwood appears to be the same except for the colour.

I have been doing a little research on the MSL-3815 lathes and have been I'm led to beleive by the "orange people" that oils ain't oils. They say that there are differences in "quality" and specs and stated bearings and thread size as an example and they have further stated to me they had no major problems with their Sherwood lathes:rolleyes:

I would like to here from any Sherwood MSL-3815 owners about the performance of their lathes.

Slow6, I have no real advice that you have not already explored and good luck! There is certainly very few quality lathes the the price range you are looking at.

Harry72
2nd July 2006, 12:36 PM
Ding from the west has one I think?

Slow6
2nd July 2006, 03:32 PM
thanks Mulga.. I'm planning to look at the sherwood, I'll be nervouse about going down the same road but if the same problem is not apparent I think I'd have trouble finding a better lathe for a grand.

do we know of anyone in vic who carries them?

rsser
2nd July 2006, 07:28 PM
There's a couple of woodworking machinery places in Plenty Rd., Preston. Names escape me but at least one stocks Sherwood.

Mulgabill
2nd July 2006, 07:32 PM
Hey Slow6!
Sherwood is the exclusive range of products of Timbecon in WA and can be contacted on their toll free number of 1300 880 996. Speak to Allan if possible, he's very knowledgable on lathes or Roger who is also very helpful.
Let me know how it turn out.

Mulgabill
2nd July 2006, 07:40 PM
There's a couple of woodworking machinery places in Plenty Rd., Preston. Names escape me but at least one stocks Sherwood.

G'day Ern!

I am aware of WMS in 129 Plenty Rd, who only stock a very limited number of Sherwood products. I do not know of the other.

Slow6
2nd July 2006, 08:28 PM
I'll contact timbecon monday first thing.. but I dont think I'll buy another 3815 sight unseen.
nothing against timbecon but if I end up with the same proplem I'll be lumped with a very heavy tool to get back to wa and all the time involved.

I'll go for a run down preston way and see if I can see a unit in action.

thanks for the help so far guys :) you've been great.

rsser
3rd July 2006, 05:44 PM
G'day Ern!

I am aware of WMS in 129 Plenty Rd, who only stock a very limited number of Sherwood products. I do not know of the other.

Stocks mainly 2nd hand stuff, on the city side of WMS; I've seen Sherwood on both their floors now that I think about it.

Lube, let your fingers do the walking first ;-}

Wild Dingo
3rd July 2006, 07:36 PM
Ding from the west has one I think?

And you would be dead right Harry ol mate! ;)

Several things Ive found... now slow ol mate take this as given Im no expert when it comes to lathes in fact Id say Im a total and utter novice

First... the rpm thing is about as useless as ten tits on a bullocks backside mine stopped working as soon as I moved the headstock the first time hasnt worked since... Second... the vibration? I thought that shake rattle and roll was normal :eek: I told you I was a novice here! :o :D

Its an expensive bit of gear to replace which is why Ive kept this one... till I know better this will do then I will upgrade :cool:

Seems to me that sherwood stuff isnt all it cut out to be... troubles with the thicknesser troubles with the lathe so far none with the bandsaw or the table saw... while Im experiencing some troubles with the 8in jointer staying true but will sort it... I hope :rolleyes:

I tell you what I could very easily see someone less determined than I getting seriously phissed of with this gear and giving it all a bloody miss... but hey Im here for the long haul a few wee probs with machines aint gonna stop me from butcherin the hell outta wood!! :cool:

Slow6
4th July 2006, 08:07 PM
well, I did the big run round.

let my fingers do the talking (cheers Ern)

toodled off to melbourne, couldn't find a single sherwood in vic, forgot my reciept for the carbatec, threw minir tantrum.

lunch.

went into a random joint I saw as I drove around looking for a bendigo bank in melbourne:confused:
and found a Woodfast shortbed with its cabinet and all the bits and bobs that go along with it. half a dozen toolrests, the outboard bits and pieces and a few face plates of different sizes. $600 the only downfall it being 3phase.

I dunno.. maybe not a huge bargain but the way I look at it is its solid as hell my old chuck fits it and even with a few hundred on a new motor and a switch I'm still comming in cheaper than the MSL that gave me the jip.

and hey.. its gotta be at the very least 20 years old and I'm reckoning it is ex school due to the extra little safety bits and bobs.. so if it aint broke yet there's no way I'm gonna be able to break it.

tbh I'm comming round to it.. the more I look at it the more I like it, heavy bastard it is. I gave it the once over and all seems well the old 3phase is out and I gave the goings on in the headstock an hour or so of carefull scrutiny. cant seem to find fault with it... may have to replace the old greasable bearings at some point but even they look fine for now, everything seems balanced and tight.

I took some photo's but left the camera at work so I'll give it its own thread tomorrow and pick your brains about what we should put in her motor wise.. I'm thinking 1horse for the mo simply because any more and the footprint of the motor changes and I risk having to start cutting up the cabinet to fit it in.

but we'll leave that for when you all can see her.

happy tuesday folks :)

Wood Butcher
4th July 2006, 08:20 PM
Sounds like an absolute bargain. I've used the Woodfast lathes similar at the schools I've been to and they are great lathes. The reason the Education Queensland put woodfast lathes in almost all public schools is that they are tough lathes designed to take a hiding from school kids.
Look forward to the pictures!

ss_11000
4th July 2006, 09:08 PM
the woodfasts at school are great to use. if you get it, you should be able to enjoy it very much.

Slow6
4th July 2006, 10:17 PM
oh I grabbed it already.. I've leaned not to leave things like that because its 99% of the time you go back the next day to see another bloke drive out the door with it:o

it's very obviously seen a little abuse.. but purely cosmetic.. a splattering of paint and the rod that slides in to lock the index wheel is long ago busted.

I'm just glad the little buggers didn't pry off the old round "woodfast" emblem:D

rowie
4th July 2006, 10:43 PM
how did u go getting it in the ute?

ss_11000
4th July 2006, 10:47 PM
getting it out would be pretty hard too.

enjoy the lathe, waiting to see the thread when you get the camera

Slow6
4th July 2006, 10:58 PM
how did u go getting it in the ute?

um:o

I stripped it down and loaded it bit by bit very carefully into the little toyota.

and drove very very tenderly back home.

I still cant believe it fitted... but like I said. I wasn't leaving it behind.

nn lads :rolleyes:

rsser
4th July 2006, 11:15 PM
Cool Lubes.

Bearings should be standard if they need replacing; ditto belt. Just chk the point of the drive spur lines up with the tailstock centre - and rotate both through 360 degrees just to be sure you don't have one or both pins bent.

Got a mate with a suburban shed full of 3 phase WW machines; can't be too complicated. Think you need an inverter but tech wizards on the forum will be able to advise.

hingston
5th July 2006, 02:48 PM
I have a "Sonic" version of the MSL-3815 lathe I have no vibration problems. The only problem is a very slight tailout on the thread in relation to the taper.

I brought from Stan at WMS. His last one I think, but I know he gets regular shipments from Timbecon.

The stand is rubbish. The lathe is good.

The biggest problem is the range of available lathes $3000 or $400 I wanted something better than the 1100 but couldnt justify a vicmark or a DVR. It fits in the gap and as is generally the case, you get what you pay for.

I have turned 20" platters outboard no problems.

I have just finnished a nice well seasoned redgum burl I got from Rowie that was miles out of balance due to large holes in the burl. Handled it fine. (this stuff gives you plenty of sharpening practice)