PDA

View Full Version : pine, willow and soap conditioning

hughie
1st July 2006, 08:57 PM
A couple of bowls that have responded well to the soap treatment. Both cut green last summer and spent about 4-6 weeks in the soap then air dried for about 4 weeks. No sign to date of any movement or cracking etc, both finished with shellawax.

Interesting enough the willow [ r/h bowl ] turned well and cut cleanly with a hint of fibre tear. It was cut from a mature tree, probably 20+ years old, maybe this helped :confused: .

Size of both bowls is around 10-12cm width x 7cm-10cm high or 4-5"x2.75-4" for our US friends :D

The real plus is the ease of slicing through soft timber after tackling various dried hard woods :)

hughie

rsser
1st July 2006, 09:04 PM
How deep do you reckon the soaking went Hughie?

Auzzie turner
1st July 2006, 09:07 PM
Nice bowls, especially like the left hand bowl, the shape of it. Care to tell us how you did the soap treatment? if you have allready told us how, a link please? Intersting enough though, the background is always just as interesting as what the object is:D :D

Nice going,
Regards........Joash

Slow6
1st July 2006, 09:22 PM
the one on the left gets my money.. really nice shape, it invites you to pick it up and roll it round in your hands.

cedar n silky
1st July 2006, 09:39 PM
Nice bowls, especially like the left hand bowl, the shape of it. Care to tell us how you did the soap treatment? if you have allready told us how, a link please? Intersting enough though, the background is always just as interesting as what the object is:D :D
Nice going,
Regards........Joash

Yeh Hughie, nice bowls, and I wouldnt mind knowing your soap recipe also? (sunlight soap? dishwashing liquid?, what ratio?)
Whats in the jar behind the bowl? Not some weird home brew I hope, cause youll be drinking it on your own, if it is!;)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st July 2006, 09:49 PM
And put the lid back on yer EEE! Stone the crows, some blokes... [shakes head]

:D:D

Auzzie turner
1st July 2006, 11:00 PM
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

hughie
2nd July 2006, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the encouragement.

Soap: I use the cheapest liquid dish washing liquid I could find @ $1 a litre, mix it with water one to one. Oh! gets some sented oil strong stuff, cos the brew will really stink after a few bowls :eek: it will bring the blowies from miles around other wise.
And make sure its with out any colour other wise......... :D

Depth: thats a hard one. But the bowls in question were cut and finished all in less that 3 months.It could have been less but I was busy, so the process was interrupted a few times. Theres no distortion and no cracking, the rough out was a lot less than the recommended 10% probably closer to 5%.

Being soft wood I would say penetration was all the way through, given I left about 12-15 mm wall thickness in the rough out stage.
Soft timber works best for me, hardwoods well.... it may the same time as air drying :(

Lid off: fair comment :p ........hangs his head and stands in the corner.

hughie

Gil Jones
3rd July 2006, 02:33 AM
Both are fine looking bowls, and I too favor the left one.

OGYT
4th July 2006, 12:03 PM
Hughie, good lookin' bowls. I like 'em both. Seems from the pic that the one on the left is thinner... but they're both really nice.
You left them in the soap a lot longer than I do, so I may give that a shot. I've been leaving mine in for 7 days... gotta get more soap. Mine stinks, that's for sure... I put a gallon of denatured alcohol in my tank every so often, to replace that pulled out by the wood. I guess that's why the flies don't come around. :o
Now for the yank thing: What's EEE?
Haven't been to check on the postage yet... but will, one day.
Cheers, your way.

CameronPotter
4th July 2006, 12:20 PM
EEE is a polishing paste that does a very fine abrasive job. It works a treat, but I tend to stay away from it if I am using wood with holes of some kind as it can fill them with a greyish muck unfortunately... HOWEVER, I certainly use it on every other piece of turning I do!

The good news is that there is also a distributor in the States. :D

Cam

Cliff Rogers
4th July 2006, 01:25 PM
EEE is a polishing paste ...I tend to stay away from it if I am using wood with holes of some kind as it can fill them with a greyish muck unfortunately......

You can buff it out manually with the lath stopped using a soft bristle brush.
A soft tooth brush, paint brush or shoe polish brush works. ;)

OGYT
4th July 2006, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the info, Cam and Cliff, I'll check out the EEE.
I use Woll Wax Paste, here. It's made by Masters Magic, now; though it was invented in Amarillo, Texas. :o
You can wet sand with Woll Wax, or apply it with just a few drops of water, and then buff it out to a beautiful satin sheen. And then you can spray lacquer on it without cleaning off the wax, if you decide you need another coat. Something about it... good stuff, anyway.

Gil Jones
4th July 2006, 03:14 PM
Al, PSI (http://www.pennstateind.com) sells the Ubeaut brand of polishes/waxes. Just type EEE in the site search. I bought a small can of EEE, and it does do a fine job. Not sure, but the abrasive in it looks and feels like rottenstone. It works like a very fine rubbing compound.

ss_11000
4th July 2006, 04:36 PM
Al, PSI (http://www.pennstateind.com) sells the Ubeaut brand of polishes/waxes. Just type EEE in the site search. I bought a small can of EEE, and it does do a fine job. Not sure, but the abrasive in it looks and feels like rottenstone. It works like a very fine rubbing compound.

rottenstone is also known as tripoli powder, here is the link (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/ubhome.htm) to it.

btw, nice bowls, i like the right one better...

hughie
5th July 2006, 01:28 AM
Whats in the jar behind the bowl? Not some weird home brew I hope, cause youll be drinking it on your own, if it is!;)
[/QUOTE]

Cedar, Sorry missed replying to your comment here.Its a mix of turps and polystyrene sealer that I make up....well use to. I went down to Bunnys to get some more turps and the new batch wont melt the poly anymore. B......r !!!!! :confused: Dunno what it is now, but its B..... woefull now.:mad:

Al, The longer the better in the soap. Soft timbers I have found respond the best. Some I have left in for a month......actually forgot em. My soap container is a plastic 44gal [200L] drum/barrel and its about half full most of the time. So a few them get lost when they sink to the bottom. :D

The left hand bowl is about 3/16" [5mm] thick overall and very light. But it sits well in the hand as a munchy bowl. Neither bowl have anything in the way of a foot.
Both are sanded back with 600 grit and then EEE. The l/h finished with Shellawax friction polish and the r/h with rub one Poly 4 coats.
hughie

rodent
5th July 2006, 01:43 AM
cam go to one of the two dollar shops and by a battery operated tooth brush great for getting out finishes stuck in voids or cracks in turned pieces . no cracks from you guys .

hughie
5th July 2006, 10:54 AM
cam go to one of the two dollar shops and by a battery operated tooth brush great for getting out finishes stuck in voids or cracks in turned pieces . no cracks from you guys

aw :D hughie