PDA

View Full Version : My vase

Auzzie turner
1st July 2006, 11:33 PM
Hi, This is my 3 thread on my objects.
1. My bowl (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=33001)
2. My box (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=33031)
3. Will be this (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=33951) thread

I made this vase around 1 week ago, this is the 5th vase I have made, I have only been turning vases for almost 2 weeks. Was able to get some free camphor laurel logs,---see this (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=33525) thread---so that triggered me into turning vases. Anyway, I have posted a poll with this thread, so you can help me improve my vase turning. Please post any other suggestions, and don't forget constructive critiscism.

Regards..........Joash

Sir Stinkalot
1st July 2006, 11:39 PM
The vase looks great but I would like to see a white sheet as apposed to a table cloth in the background of your photos. :o

Auzzie turner
1st July 2006, 11:43 PM
The vase looks great but I would like to see a white sheet as apposed to a table cloth in the background of your photos. :o
Sorry, that is a cover for the tv:p And the reason I didn't use a white tablecloth, is because the wood was allready almost white, so there would'nt be enough contrast. Thanks,

Regards.....Joash

Auzzie turner
1st July 2006, 11:54 PM
Oh yeah, and the wood is Camphor laurel:) :rolleyes: :cool: :p ;) :D :confused: :o :eek: :( :mad:

hughie
2nd July 2006, 01:01 AM
Hmmm, maybe a little more detail around the bottom and perhaps sharper edges/definiton to the neck area.....maybe.... cos the pic has not done it justice.

some of these things you just gotta have it in your hands to fully appreciate.

Bowls and such vessels are made to be picked up and have hands run over them...well I reckon anyway.

hughie

rsser
2nd July 2006, 09:20 AM
Good on you Joash. You've got some guts tackling a vase.

Proportions look pretty good from this angle but a side view would tell us more.

btw it's normal to post dimensions and finish with your pic.

Auzzie turner
2nd July 2006, 05:02 PM
Sorry bout that, Dimensions are 450mm by 100mm thick. It is a lot bigger than what it looks is'nt it? I have posted some more pics, requested from Ern. The bottom of the vase, where it comes done and then goes to a straight part, is for the chuck jaws. When it is finished, I will turn it down to a proper base, and knock off the straight part. I got the 24 ich swan neck tool from Carbatech the other day, so that is making life a lot easier.:D I have just turned out the inside, so I have included a picture. The white stuff is electrical tape around the outside. I asked what I should do in this (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=33880) thread to keep the side from falling out. Got the idea from Skewy. Anyway thanks for the comments,

Regards.........Joash

ss_11000
4th July 2006, 11:15 AM
great piece joash.

OGYT
4th July 2006, 11:36 AM
Joash, you said "constructive criticism". Personally, I love the vase. I've made several that begin at the top with the beautiful curves, and then develop into a straight shot down to the bottom. I've sold all of those.
When I asked for comments from other turners, they all except one told me to never have a straight area in the side of a vase or bowl. They said it wasn't in good form. They say the straight area should always be in a gentle curve. I like those, too.
As I said earlier, I think this one is beautiful. Hard to hollow out, eh? You did good.
You didn't mention the thickness, so I'll add this: If you can make the thickness consistently the same throughout, it will do more to keep it from eventually cracking... over time.
Just my thoughts...

RufflyRustic
4th July 2006, 11:57 AM
I love this vase. Why? The shaping, it's in Camphor Laurel and well, it's speaking to me through just a photo :o

Lovely Lovely Lovely.....

cheers
Wendy

Auzzie turner
4th July 2006, 01:01 PM
Hi,, I have just finished another vase, It is still drying. Another Camphor Laurel.

Cheers...........Joash:cool:

Auzzie turner
4th July 2006, 01:13 PM
Joash, you said "constructive criticism". Personally, I love the vase. I've made several that begin at the top with the beautiful curves, and then develop into a straight shot down to the bottom. I've sold all of those.
When I asked for comments from other turners, they all except one told me to never have a straight area in the side of a vase or bowl. They said it wasn't in good form. They say the straight area should always be in a gentle curve. I like those, too.
As I said earlier, I think this one is beautiful. Hard to hollow out, eh? You did good.
You didn't mention the thickness, so I'll add this: If you can make the thickness consistently the same throughout, it will do more to keep it from eventually cracking... over time.
Just my thoughts...

Thanks a lot!!!!

Sorry, I left a lot out of this thread, Thickness is 1 quater of an inch thick.:D

Regards........Joash

Cliff Rogers
4th July 2006, 01:14 PM
Joash, as Ern said earlier, it's normal to post dimensions and finish with your pic.

What size is it & what have you put on it?

Auzzie turner
4th July 2006, 03:37 PM
Allright here goes. I have posted 2 vases in this thread. The first vase here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=25805&d=1151757001) is 185mm high and 120mm wide. It is coated in Shellawax cream. Camphor only comes up in a flat finish when used with Shellawax.--good for the flat-finish preferring customer It is hollowed down inside so that there is around 30mm left in the base to hold it steady. The whole wall on the inside is around 1/2 inch thick. The second vase here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=25919&d=1151979010) is 310mm high and 130mm wide(at the widest point). It was still drying when picture was taken. I put a high gloss lacqer on it. It is hollowed down so there is around 50mm left in the base to hold it steady.

My vases will be sold in 1 of 7 galleries.(Haven't decided yet). Often my work sits on the same shelf as Jack De Voss'es work;)

Some of the Galleries are.--All these are in Perth.

Woodcraft Galleries (http://www.australianwoodcraft.com.au/AWG%20Fine%20Woodturning%20New.htm)
Aspects--Kings Park (http://www.bgpa.wa.gov.au/aspects/index.html?Menu=kingspark&Sub=retail)
Malaga Markets
Joondalup furniture store
etc:

Hope this answers all questions. Want anymore info, just give us a yell.

Regards..........Joash

dazzler
4th July 2006, 06:54 PM
Hey Auzzie

really cool stuff and I cant add anything to make em better.

Dont forget to also add imperial measurements for the oldies, Feet and Inches, Cubits and knots :p :p :p

good work

dazzler

Cliff Rogers
4th July 2006, 10:08 PM
thanx joash what did you say your age was again :confused:

dazzler
4th July 2006, 10:13 PM
thanx joash what did you say your age was again :confused:

One score and two.......aye

dazzler
4th July 2006, 10:19 PM
Hi Joash

Can you give me more information about how you made it from start to finish.

What tools u used, how you mounted it etc.

Or make another one with a photo record :p .

cheeers

dazzler

powderpost
4th July 2006, 10:47 PM
Joash, I think your vases are very nice, smooth pleasant lines. Stay with vase turning for a while and you will find that the shapes may vary a little as your personality takes over and a style will evolve that will be identifyable as yours. You will go through stages of thin and thick walls, tall thin and short fat vases. Experiment and play with shapes. Personally, I do not like elegant vases decorated with beads and coves, they detract from the overall appearance. Finally, are you sure you are 14? If so, I think you have a big future in turning.
Jim

ss_11000
4th July 2006, 10:50 PM
joash, finally realised you've got a poll on this thread....unless i'm mistaken you were told in previous threads to have a leave as it is option....now i cant vote:p :D

Auzzie turner
4th July 2006, 10:51 PM
Allright, here goes. This is the formula I used for both vases in this thread(except for the finishing)

1. Preparing the stock
I got the wood. This vase was made from a branch. I was able to get a whole branch around 4 meters long. I cut the whole lot up in one go into suitable lengths for vases.

2. Shaping the outside
I mounted the wood on the lathe, and spindle turned till it to the shape that was required. First chisel I used in this process was the Roughing Gouge. I used tyhat to get the rough shape and to get rid of the bulk of the wood. I then used the spindle gouge and round nose scraper to finsh up to the final shape. I then created a foot for the Vicmarc 120 chuck jaws to grip onto.

3. Hollowing the inside
As I had allready turned the outside, all I needed to do was hollow out the inside. I do not sand the outside untill I have finished inside and out. I used the bowl gouge and a round nose scraper to start the hollowing out. I then used the 20 inch swan neck hollowing tool to cut the underlip, and to remove most of the wood in the middle. I find this tool very useful in removing the nipple in the centre.

4. Finishing the outside
For the first vase I sanded the outside to 2500 grit, and then coated the outside in shellawax cream. I then sanded the inside as best as I could, and then I poured in heaps of High gloss lacqer, and then plugged up the oppening, and then turned the lathe on.:eek: For the second vase I sanded to 1200 grit on the outside, and then finished the inside as best I could. I then Plugged up the opening, and then turned the lathe on. The reason I do this, is so then all the gloss will go SPLAT! aginst the inside, so then it will cover everything inside. The only thing different with this one in the finishing is, that when I turned the lathe on there was a small hole around 3/4 of an inch wide, so when the lathe was spinning, All the excess gloss shot out of that hole and went flying all over the shed.:( :p The whole process of both vaes took just over 45 minutes.

Anyway hope that is what you were looking for. If you have any suggesions on how I can improve my vase turning, please post them here. If you have any more questions for me, PM me or email me, or simply post right here.---for those inexperienced users all you do is click that little POST REPLY button @ the bottom of the page.:D :D :D

5. Goodbye:rolleyes:

Anyway,
Regards..........Joash

Auzzie turner
4th July 2006, 10:54 PM
joash, finally realised you've got a poll on this thread....unless i'm mistaken you were told in previous threads to have a leave as it is option....now i cant vote:p :D

oops! done it again.
I'm sorry, should have remembered. Maybe could fix it up.:)

Thanks for the nice comments,
Regards.........Joash

P.S like you new sig

Auzzie turner
4th July 2006, 10:58 PM
Joash, I think your vases are very nice, smooth pleasant lines. Stay with vase turning for a while and you will find that the shapes may vary a little as your personality takes over and a style will evolve that will be identifyable as yours. You will go through stages of thin and thick walls, tall thin and short fat vases. Experiment and play with shapes. Personally, I do not like elegant vases decorated with beads and coves, they detract from the overall appearance. Finally, are you sure you are 14? If so, I think you have a big future in turning.
Jim

Thanks for your comments. As I said I have only turned 7 vases. I hope I will improve over time. And yes I am 14.

My birthday is November the 1. My birthdate was 1/11/1991

Thanks again,
Regards.........Joash

ss_11000
4th July 2006, 11:00 PM
45 minutes.......thought it would take a bit longer but it looks great so keep going.

i while ago i was watching woodworks on the how to channel and the guy (david marks?) was making a vessel and from memery it took him over an hr and a half. he used pretty much the same method except he used a bowl gouge instead of a spindle gouge on the outside. he may have sanded the outside before hollowing but i'm not sure(it might be because that way the woods thicker to add more support????).

Auzzie turner
4th July 2006, 11:03 PM
45 minutes.......thought it would take a bit longer but it looks great so keep going.

i while ago i was watching woodworks on the how to channel and the guy (david marks?) was making a vessel and from memery it took him over an hr and a half. he used pretty much the same method except he used a bowl gouge instead of a spindle gouge on the outside. he may have sanded the outside before hollowing but i'm not sure(it might be because that way the woods thicker to add more support????).

Yeah, I think that channel is amazing.(its the only channel I watch;) ) You can use either a bowl gouge or a spindle gouge on the outside. I find that when I am having fun on the lathe 45 minutes goes like that.

Thanks again for the comments,

Regards..............Joash

P.S got your PM--thanks:)

ss_11000
4th July 2006, 11:06 PM
You can use either a bowl gouge or a spindle gouge on the outside. I find that when I am having fun on the lathe 45 minutes goes like that.

P.S got your PM--thanks:)

yeah, i just said it so people know about another option. i know what you mean, an hour just flies by and you just dont notice.

Auzzie turner
4th July 2006, 11:14 PM
Yeah what you said about wall thickness is true too. How long have you been watching woodworking channel for, I mean since when did you find out about it?
Regards.............Joash

ss_11000
4th July 2006, 11:19 PM
i dont watch the woodworking channel on the net. just the occasional woodworking show on foxtel. i will give the ww channel ago one day.....

RETIRED
5th July 2006, 12:12 AM
oops! done it again.
I'm sorry, should have remembered. Maybe could fix it up.:)

Thanks for the nice comments,
Regards.........Joash

P.S like you new sigI have.:D

Auzzie turner
7th July 2006, 04:51 PM
This vase is now sold!

ss_11000
7th July 2006, 04:53 PM
how much? my gues $100 or more

Auzzie turner
7th July 2006, 04:58 PM
No, I sold it to someone on this forum for a bit less than that, but I am happy with it,
Regards..........Joash

ss_11000
7th July 2006, 05:15 PM
good on ya anyway

Tassie Boy
7th July 2006, 05:42 PM
Good on ya mate .. Nice way to make money
nice vases too...when my @%*& tools get here i might have a go myself..
How much are the swan neck tools??

Auzzie turner
7th July 2006, 09:04 PM
Thanks,
The 16 inch swan neck is $73, and the 20 inch is $79. I reccomend you get the 20 inch one, for the extra $6.

Regards.........Joash

Auzzie turner
8th July 2006, 03:20 PM
Here is a third vase I finished this morning. It is Camphor laurel with a jarrah top. It has a base around 20mm thick. The walls are around 5mm thick. It is 200mm high by 130mm wide at the widest point. The finish is shellawax cream. Hope you like it, tell me what you don't like about it.

Regards...........Joash

rsser
8th July 2006, 03:39 PM
Another nice piece Joash - well done. It's hard to do a good acorn shape.

Only advice would be to try to blend the bottom of the collar better into the body of the vase. ie, aiming for one flowing line.

ss_11000
8th July 2006, 04:06 PM
yep agree with ern about blending the two pieces together, great piece none the less though....well done

Tassie Boy
8th July 2006, 04:17 PM
Great new piece ..
yer i agree with rsser too if you blended the top section into the camphour it would look great..
Also That lacquer that you put on your 2nd vase would look nice on this piece too!..
Great piece none the less!

Auzzie turner
8th July 2006, 04:17 PM
You mean like this vase?

Marri and Jarrah

Don't comment about the sanding near the o

Tassie Boy
8th July 2006, 04:19 PM
Yep like that

ss_11000
8th July 2006, 05:17 PM
looks good

Tassie Boy
8th July 2006, 09:00 PM
Hey Auzzie i cant seem to find that swan neck tool on carbatecs website...
can you point out which one it is please?? im interested in buying it but just cant find it?.
Thanks

Auzzie turner
8th July 2006, 09:23 PM
Rightio, ill do some scouting around for you, and report back as soon as anyting is found. If you are thinking of turning vases, I recommend turning camphor laurel first becase it is quite easy to turn
Regards.........Joash

Tassie Boy
8th July 2006, 10:13 PM
Thanks mate that would be great..
Thanks for the tip about the camphour too.