PDA

View Full Version : Lets open the topic for discussion

John Saxton
28th June 2000, 07:12 PM
Are there any of you good folk out there who have a good working knowledge of Scroll Saws and in particular using the variable speed function.
I have managed to pick up a no name Taiwanese model cheaply at a barter mart and was wondering if there was a rule of thumb (of course with thumbs intact) to the usage of the variable speed aspect.
Would it be that:= 1.wood structure i.e hardwood or softwood.2.blade choice.3.depth of cut.4.or tight curve progression.any of these or a combination of all together would necessitate the use of the function.
As is usually evident when buying second hand there was no instructions as a guide in this regard and the Taiwanese are not generally noted for putting together a well versed instruction book.
In the forlorn hope that someone out there has a working knowledge I thank you in anticipation of any input.
Cheers

------------------
Johnno

[This message has been edited by John Saxton (edited 28 June 2000).]

ubeaut
29th June 2000, 12:54 AM
G'day Johnno

Whist not being an expert on variable speed scroll saws, I am sure there is a pretty logical reason for the speeds. You need to slow down or speed up to cut different types of materials, copper, silver, brass, gold, aluminium, perspex, and other non timber products that these saws are also designed to be used with.

Hope this is of some help
Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

John Saxton
1st July 2000, 03:29 PM
Cheers Neil and thanks for that, I think you touched on the crux of the matter that the reason behind the variable speed option is the employment with various materials and the blades therein being used
Have a good day.

------------------
Johnno

Tom Manley
16th July 2000, 09:57 PM
Hi John, the variable speed on your saw is for material thickness, ie: use high range and coarse blades #7-12 skip tooth for thicker timber but avoid burning, conversely thin materials require fine blades and lower strokes per minute, say 200-400 and #3 double tooth blade for 3-6mm material. Most of the Asian Fathers day specials have no speed control and vibrate like a chain saw, making them totally unsuitable for serious scrollsawing. Can I add that the best reference Bible, although becoming dated is Patrick Spielmans Scrollsaw Handbook.
Regards, Tom.

John Saxton
17th July 2000, 05:03 PM
G,day Tom, and thanks have'nt really given the old girl a work out or tried it on a range of thickness's of wood yet.Have only tried it on a piece of plywood in an attempt to make up a jig for another job.
There was a range of different blades that came with it and I guess the principal with the blades would be the same as for the Bandsaw.I will definitely drop the hint to the missus about the book (birthday coming up soon ).
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/cool.gif

------------------
Johnno

Iain
25th July 2000, 09:27 PM
Check out www.mikesworkshop.com (http://www.mikesworkshop.com) for a choice of blades to use and it is also a source of good quality blades. I ordered some recently and I was charged $1.00 extra over the blade price and they were here in 5 days.

sunshine
27th July 2000, 09:29 AM
Iain: Don't I read you on WoodNet BB?

You are truly an international guy...

Regards, Phyllis

Back to the topic: I have a Hegner 18" variable speed. I usually cut 1/8-1/4-3/8 hardwood and usually have a #5 skip or reverse tooth blade.
Also use for 1/4 baltic birch and again use #5 blade. I think the speed is about 1100. Seems to work well for me.
P.S. I have a Hegner Scroll Saw, which is the most fun of any tool I have.

John Saxton
28th July 2000, 03:40 PM
Thanks to each and everyone for their ongoing input whether from near or from afar I'll take it on board with gratitude.
Whilst I am a relative newie to this BB I value the wealth of info available from those willing to part with a few moments of their time, and of also having the continual need to learn,to experience,and to feel the need to expand the horizons within the medium.By posing a query whether minor or otherwise it brings in and makes available to all the responses that we seek.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Johnno