PDA

View Full Version : Trimming to a template

TassieKiwi
4th July 2006, 03:40 PM
I came up with this idea to trim curved legs square, ready for final finishing. Doesn't look safe, but while the wood is contacting the bit it's covered, and hands are kept clear with the enlarged ends of the patterns (thanks to Mr Maloof for that tip).
The results put a huge smile on my face, I can tell you. Smooth as.

MajorPanic
4th July 2006, 08:16 PM
Tassie,

Bloody wonderful idea!! http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

I can use that on some chair back slats~ :cool: :cool: :cool:

Have a greenie on me!! ;)

TassieKiwi
5th July 2006, 09:52 AM
Now there's an idea. A blackwood rocker is on the List. If you make one (only takes a few minutes), some notes - prob. obvious to you Major:

The offset is set with a clamp nipping up the guide to the table, with a square on the tip of the guide point, and a tap of a hammer to give what ever thickness cut you need, then tighten the clamp. About 1mm gave me a very smooth cut in heart rimu, a splitty timber.
Next time I will set this up on the side of the table without the mitre slot - more stable
'negative' cuts can be made, ie undercutting the template.
For shaping long curved pieces that turn away from the bit as they pass, make sure the weight of the piece doesnt rotate it out of square. A temporary table extension to support the whole length would be a good idea.
The end result is only as smooth as the template

BobL
6th July 2006, 12:00 AM
Wow ! I can see a lot of sawdust in my future!

Template Tom
7th July 2006, 08:39 PM
I came up with this idea to trim curved legs square, ready for final finishing. Doesn't look safe, but while the wood is contacting the bit it's covered, and hands are kept clear with the enlarged ends of the patterns (thanks to Mr Maloof for that tip).
The results put a huge smile on my face, I can tell you. Smooth as.
Hi
Did you ever consider using the template guide and producing a template that was not required to be attached to the material and the router could have been used with greater safety
Just a thought
Tom

TassieKiwi
10th July 2006, 01:05 PM
Tom - please explain? I've not used a template before, so have no idea what you mean. Do you have a pic?

I guess what I've set up is like a shaper, which are known to be bloody dangerous.:eek:

Template Tom
10th July 2006, 07:36 PM
Tom - please explain? I've not used a template before, so have no idea what you mean. Do you have a pic?

I guess what I've set up is like a shaper, which are known to be bloody dangerous.:eek:

What router do you use ??

I am sure a template guide would have been supplied at the time of purchase unless you bought a Makita a few years ago when they withdrew the guide for a few years from their list of accessories.
Tom