PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc flexible sander

rsser
5th July 2006, 07:03 PM
Just a heads-up.

Vicmarc have released a competitor to the Vic Wood rotary sander which has been described in some places as having both a 50mm and 75mm head.

As it happens the smaller head is 45mm in diam and corrections are being made in labelling.

If you 'roll your own' with velcro sheets, with a punch, then a smaller punch clearly is needed. I would imagine that in sanding bowls there would be no problem using 50mm discs unless you need to get close to an edge that you want to keep crisp.

It has some useful features IMHO, the two heads of course plus a swivel joint btwn head and handle, and a vacuum port.

See a photo of the unit on the Garry Pye woodturning website.

I'll post a report of its performance when the Beast devours the next bowl.

Christopha
5th July 2006, 07:31 PM
If it's a good as their last attempt then it won't exactly be a dismal failure but it won't blow wind up Vics' either.... IMHO

Cliff Rogers
5th July 2006, 11:22 PM
Enzo from Vermec has one too.
I think his has 3 head sizes.

I'm still happy with Vic's.

hughie
6th July 2006, 11:19 AM
Just a heads-up.

It has some useful features IMHO, the two heads of course plus a swivel joint btwn head and handle, and a vacuum port.

I'll post a report of its performance when the Beast devours the next bowl

Ern look forward to the performance report, the vac port I like the sound of.
hughie

rsser
6th July 2006, 02:21 PM
Yes, me too.

As you can prob deduce from the photo, the vac hose slips over the handle end - and that might make it a trifle unwieldy - and sucks via ports at the pad end of the handle. The question is will it be good enough to catch the dust being generated some inches away.

rsser
30th July 2006, 05:51 PM
Well here are some impressions.

Bear in mind that I usually sand either with a 50mm power disc or for bowl insides paper held under a strip of Scotchbrite.

I can't compare it with any other brand since this is the only rotary unit I've tried.

Likes: sands finely, as if you're actually using one grit above. The vac port sucks most of the dust away. Is not very agressive which was useful on the last project, a spalted bowl with varying wood densities - left almost no ripple effect between the grain as a power sander easily does. Is far less likely to leave deep scratches when using 80 grit.

Dislikes: compared with power sanding it's much slower. A powered disc will quickly remove a groove you've found you left just below the rim of the bowl and which is beyond a scraper. (On the other hand, it can change your bowl profile too or leave facets on the base if you don't take care). With a vac attached it is in fact a little on the unweildy side and you have to live with the noise of the vac. Finally, the axle and first bearing dropped out on second use.

Overall, a useful addition to the armoury; prob a good idea for a beginner to start with this kind of design rather than go powered.