PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Of A New Shed

echnidna
5th July 2006, 09:40 PM
I'm thinking about buildin a new workshop.
Don't really want a tin monster.
And brick & concrete don't turn me on.
Thought about an old portable classroom , hmmm that has possibilities.

But I'm really thinking old fashioned -
Stud walls, weatherboards, internal wall linings etc.
And a wood floor of course - though yellow tongue would do.
Did think about a seppo gambrel roof but that means stairs or ladders etc.

ANYWAY apart from yer tools an all that stuff whaddya want in yer shed for comfort or style? ;)

Wood Butcher
5th July 2006, 10:06 PM
I recently hired the Triton Workshop video from the library where they go through the paces of building a workshop/studio. I think something like that would suit me really nicely. Have the building in a L shape with a small courtyard in the corner for finishing or just working outside on a beautiful day.
That or something like Bitingmidges where the workshop is sort of atached to the house. Makes it real easy to slip out to the shed at night and potter around instead of watching the telly. But either option would have to have network access for the computer so I wouldn't miss what is happening here!

Stuart
5th July 2006, 10:17 PM
Go wireless Rowan - problem solved.

Requirement for a shed - one that doesn't flood :(

Wood Butcher
5th July 2006, 10:26 PM

Already have the Wireless Network up and running,
Now I just need a shed of my own :(:(

Waldo
6th July 2006, 12:39 AM
G'day,

Whatdayawantinashed?

I've always thought a pinnie would be good in the corner somewhere, or maybe Galaga. :cool:

Gra
6th July 2006, 01:00 AM
MORE ROOM........

There never is enough room, Though I am working out of garden shed, so that doesnt help.....

Lignum
6th July 2006, 01:09 AM
My dream shed-

Fully insulated 25mm Tas-Oak Sprung wooden floor.
Three Mud brick walls, rendered smooth inside and painted white.
Forth wall made entirly from glass bricks.
Large double sliding doors leading out to a fully covered outside decking with bench for semi-outside work.
Fully insulated colorbond roof with lazerlight every third panel.
Seperate sound proofed machine room for timber storage and loud heavy machining
Quality sound system and 82cm TV
Kitchenet and Toilet.Then the machines........................:D

RufflyRustic
6th July 2006, 10:28 AM
Firstly I wanted an old outback humpy/cottage with a fantastic interior. Then I wanted a weather board and corrigated iron roof one
Now, I just a shed :cool:

Whatever the shed will be, I want it to have:

lots of ambient light, but not direct sunlight
insulation
heating maybe the old crown #5
cooling & ventilation - windows and an aircon maybe
a comfortable chair or two around the crown
coffee making facilities
a sink and water whether plumbed or bottled
a verandah/patio areaYep, I want my shed to "have it all" :rolleyes:
:)

cheers
Wendy

Wood Butcher
6th July 2006, 07:27 PM
Geez Lignum and Wendy, now I have to wipe the drool of my keyboard after dreaming about the sheds you've described!:(

echnidna
6th July 2006, 07:36 PM
I like lignums muddie shop, but that's too much work for an old woodie
I wouldn't have skylights, the suns a problem in summer, plenty of windows must be a better idea. But some great ideas to think about.

I like Wendy's ideas too.
I'd like to make mine resemble a cottage but golly look at all the wallspace you lose whenya put windows in the walls.

Did think about weatherboards to 2100 high then 300mm windows right along the tops of the walls. Also thinking of maybe doing it so it can be converted into 2 story and stick a studio etc up top. A gambrel roof could be the go.

Anyway people keep on dreaming online and I might just find the perfect inspiration for my shed. :)

Lignum
6th July 2006, 08:04 PM
Bob, i reckon a muddie would be the ultimate material for a shed. Warm in winter, cool in summer and very good sound proofing, and cheap, just some hard yakka. And i visited a workshop in Perth when i was their that had an entire wall out of glass bricks, WOW it was brilliant...... one day:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and a sprung wooden floor is a MUST if anyone hasnt stood on one, you dont know what you are missing:D

Grunt
6th July 2006, 08:06 PM
Strawbale Shed
Very well insulated roof.
Eaves all around
Small High Windows on the south and west sides that allow light in but no sun. High enough not to waste wall space. Double glazed.
Thin Floor to ceiling windows on the north side. The eaves will be the correct size to allow winter sun to enter and summer sun to be excluded.
On the east side have a separate small office and finishing room. The finishing room would have large windows to the east for lots of natural light. Same for the office except a window to the north as well.
A raised floor made from the tiles they used to use in computer rooms. This will allow access for wiring and ducting under the floor.
The walls will be painted an off white.

Shower, toilet and kitchenette.
A good coffee machine.
A solid fuel heater.

echnidna
6th July 2006, 08:42 PM
Lignum, what do you mean by a sprung timber floor?
Muddies are probably physically beyond this near decrepit ol' woodie
Glassbrick wall would be great in a studio etc.

Grunt, I wouldn't build strawbale as I have doubts as to their integrity and durability.

Lets face it stud walls and weatherboards is very fast to stickup,
much more so than mudbricks or strawbales.
(plus I reckon I've got most everything I need except rafters, floorboards and odds'n'sods)

Wild Dingo
6th July 2006, 08:49 PM

Requirement for a shed - one that doesn't flood :(

You reading my mind again Stuart??? Im now officially worried if winter ever comes around Im sure my shed will end up under a foot of water... if the creek breaks its banks again... nothin much I can do but thats a big one!!

I reckon... mud brick or straw bale as long as I didnt have to do the labour... length 100ft width 50ft height 20ft bloody great double doors one end big single other end which joins to the bloody great 70ft x 25ft x 20ft woodstorage humpyhoochy which joins to the present 6mtr x 9mtr shed which would become the garden shed cause I really wouldnt need it anymore :D At one side would be a nice 6x6mtr shed for the compressor and dust units along with sundry things such as Lucas Mill ;)

Wooden floors with appropriate backing under heavy machinery areas up stands with power points next to each machine... roof with every second sheet perspex to let in ambient light flood lights every 10 ft for night work and double fluros over workbenches for night work... bank of heavy glazed windows (say like the bathroom windows that sorta thing) along 1 x 100ft wall at the 10ft hieght mark... walls insulated as is roof... major big old pot belly in corner... power points every 4ft along the walls at 4ft height above floor... power points hanging from chains from roof rafters... can never have enough powerpoints... work area (machinery etc) in one 50ft x 50ft area of shed other 50x50 area set up for boatbuilding... and other woodbutcherin tasks... The present 40ft seatainer would be moved into this area for a finishing room with power aircon and air circulation units along its length... benches and such for work lights power points lead in from compressor

One other thing?... in the 10x 8corner created by the seatainer would be situated the "moaning room" installed would be a major bar with brewing area old leather lounge suite piped sound system throughout shed bloody monster great tv with internet connect... no wait a minute!! CAN THAT!!... keep the lounge suite a nice kitchenette with dining suite a fold out bed for those times when Im ooooh just too buggared from all the woodbutcherin to head the 50mtrs to the house :D

ooooh gawd I can dream like this ALL FRIGGIN DAY!!! :cool:

mmmm... Jilly??? OOHHH Jill??? You wanna come play at my place?!!! :D :D

urban-wombat
6th July 2006, 08:56 PM
okay so the dream sheds sound Oh so nice.. only problem is you would have to keep 'em neat 'n tidy... so being a bit of a slob.. I'm sticking with my old (messy) tin shed

Lignum
6th July 2006, 08:57 PM
Their will no doubt be a builder amongst us who will explain it better, but to my limited building knowledge (but i have stood on them and made a small one for my old mans shed) Sprung floors joists and beams and all the bits that make up a floor will only be anchored on the edges around the walls, so their are no stumps underneath at all. Im sure their would be a certain sq meterage where a stump is required, but it would be large. The weight they can take is huge and machinery wouldnt even be a minor problem. But:o :o walk on one and its just bliss. You can feel it spring under you if you bounce up and down. Perfect to stand on all day and not get fatigued. On a scale of 1 - 10 with 1 being the worst, concrete = 1 and sprung floor = 11:D :D :D

echnidna
6th July 2006, 09:01 PM
Thats where the loft in the shed might be great, just sweep the top bit only.

About sprung floors courtesy Mr Google

http://www.flooradvice.com/sprungfloors.htm

basically just a floating floor.

W.Lill
6th July 2006, 09:04 PM
I would like some changes to my shed as well.

A concrete floor that was flat and smooth, rather than something that was levelled with a long handled shovel and so has dips and hollows of up to 100mm, that would be good.

Walls that dont flex in and out when the wind blows, that don't let the rain blow in because they don't seal top and bottom. That would be even better.

When the day is young and the temperature is just above freezing it would be nice if there was a window to let in some sunlight and maybe some warmth - now that would be really good.

I think that this thread could give me ideas for real improvements. So keep those ideas coming.

Lignum
6th July 2006, 09:22 PM
About sprung floors courtesy Mr Google

http://www.flooradvice.com/sprungfloors.htm

basically just a floating floor.

Not the same as i was refering to. It has absolutly nothing underneath not even stumps:)

RufflyRustic
7th July 2006, 10:16 AM
Echidna said "gambrel roof "

Is that one of those saw-toothed roofs used on factories where they have glass on the south side to let in ambient light but not direct sunlight, becuase the roof is too far away to hang lighting from?

Nope, a gambrel roof to me looks like an american barn roof shape with an overhang at the front for a patio

---

Anyway, I wouldn't mind having one sawtooth section in the roof of my woodshed, and some of those glass tiles.

cheers
Wendy

Grunt
7th July 2006, 11:15 AM
Grunt, I wouldn't build strawbale as I have doubts as to their integrity and durability.

If you take care they will last more than 100 years. Same as if build with anything. There are plenty of weatherboard places that have lasted a long time. There are even more that haven't. You have to continualy maintain weatherboards, if you don't they rot or get attacked by termites.

Straw like wood will last forever in the right conditions. If you take care in the rendering process there is no reason that a Strawbale won't last a lifetime or two.

echnidna
7th July 2006, 11:25 AM
If you take care they will last more than 100 years. Same as if build with anything. There are plenty of weatherboard places that have lasted a long time. There are even more that haven't. You have to continualy maintain weatherboards, if you don't they rot or get attacked by termites.

Straw like wood will last forever in the right conditions. If you take care in the rendering process there is no reason that a Strawbale won't last a lifetime or two.

You are right there, but continually maintaining the render integrity is every bit as important (if not more) as keeping good paintwork on weatherboards.

But weatherboards are still much easier and faster to build with.

masterblaster
15th July 2006, 09:40 AM
Better late than never .
The nicest shed l've ever used was a big old shearing shed up at my dads weekender . This thing was the ultimate . Made of old cut bush poles and rails , old galv on the outside beautiful wooden floors and big old wooded doors. Huge rafters and old bush cut beams everywhere inside . lt was so nice t be in there and the floor always felt spec' under foot.
The place we've just bought has a big new glav monster , abit sterilish but it has a high roof line so l'm building a loft and upstairs section in two bays of it and that's gonna be my studio/workshop. All wooden floors and big bush pole uprights , l want to see if l can make or find some classic stairs to go upto it.
Mind you , it'll cost so much like that l dunno where l'll ever get the money to do it but hope to one day . Maybe scab around as much second hand as l can find.
l can see it in my head but if only l could blink and have it there and done . Don't you hate that !
Cheers
MB