PDA

View Full Version : scroll sanders

John Saxton
2nd July 2001, 09:29 PM
Have any of you Scroller's used the scroll sanders,and if so what do you think of them?
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

AlexS
3rd July 2001, 08:40 AM
Not sure what you mean by scroll sanders. I did buy some abrasive strips with ends that fit the Hegner, and have found them to be great for sanding fine detail. I bought 4 of different grades years ago and they're still going strong.

Iain
3rd July 2001, 08:50 AM
I had some once and they came in two or three different widths and about four grits. They were pin end but if you cut of the nylon 'pins' you could use them in a pinless application. They worked well on my Proxxon rattler but the hole on the table of the 788 (which is what I think you have) runs the wrong way and they didn't fit as they touched the sides.
Use a PGT or equivelant blade and you should not need to sand or see if you can fit some cloth back abrasive into the blade holder.
I also think they were very expensive for a small strip of abrasive, I think they were about $20 for a four pack 5 years ago.

[This message has been edited by Iain (edited 03 July 2001).]

Jim Carroll
3rd July 2001, 09:40 AM
These Scrollsanders are available in either Pinned end or Pinless.
They come in 3 sizes 1/4", 3/8" & 1/2"
The pack is a mix of 80, 120, 180 & 220g abrasives
They are worth $18.00 a pack
Regards
Jim Carroll
Carroll's Woodcraft Supplies
[email protected]

Iain
3rd July 2001, 10:36 AM
Having said that Jim, are they available in two configurations so they will fit any saw?
The DeWalt has a very narrow slot on the table that runs front to back and some saws slot runs east west which is fine for the sander. I sold my old Proxxon, thank goodness, and the sanders with them as they would not fit in the DeWalt. Things may have changed since then and I have not looked into it. I also found customer service from the suppliers of the scroll sanders to be somewhat rather ratty. I think I got them from the importers at the time who were at the Melbourne WWW in 1997.

John Saxton
3rd July 2001, 08:38 PM
Some interesting points there Iain,and I do agree that they are expensive for what you get.
The thought of using abrasive cloth is a good one as I have a few rolls here that I use at times when turning,so I will try this and see how it pans out.
I'm not too sure whether the DeWalt range goes to the extent of providing the sanders but I'll have a look for them.
I'll check first Jim,and if OK will put them on the shopping list for the WWW @ Melbourne.
Thanx folx for your input.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

Jim Carroll
3rd July 2001, 09:16 PM
Iain they do fit best in machines that you can put them in that run from front to back.
Some machines have the ability for you to put your blade in the conventional way or on the side if you are doing longer peices. As you say most machines would have to have the slot filed to accomadate the Scroll Sander

ozyjimbo
29th October 2003, 01:59 PM
Does anyone know of a place in geelong or near by that sells these scroll sanders have tried bunnings and mitre ten and both places looked at me as though i was stupid for just suggesting a scroll sander??

JackoH
29th October 2003, 05:23 PM
Isn't Drysdale near Geelong?:confused:

ozyjimbo
29th October 2003, 07:25 PM
last i looked it was :D have emailed the person but have no reply as yet and plus keeping other options open in the event he has none

Terry Q
3rd November 2003, 12:16 AM
Good day all

First time poster, long time scroller. A couple of comments about sanding strips. Cloth backed sand paper can be cut into strips and clamped in your saw. This works very well in a Hegner. If more thickness is required at the clamp ends add a little tape. To remove the "fuzzies" from the saw kerf use dental floss. Sounds funny, but it works very well.

Terry