PDA

View Full Version : Scrollsaws

Raymond
16th July 2001, 10:32 PM
Hi Guys,
I'm just starting off with my new found hobby
"Intarsia". I would appreciate some advice on which brand of scrollsaw to buy.

Iain
17th July 2001, 09:05 AM
Depends on how many $$$$ you have to spare but under no circumstances buy a Proxxon, they jump around all over the benchtop and will rapidly turn you off scrolling.
Delta are good but the main thing to look for are:
Ease of blade changing
Variable speed
Large and solid cast iron table
Minimum vibration at high speed
I have a DeWalt 788 which has all of the above and everything is on the front of the machine including tensioner, they cost just over $1K. A Delta variable is about $400 (I think) or if you feel really wealthy an Excalibur will set you back about $3K.
I think the DeWalt is good value for money but then I am biased.
Beware of the nasty little no names with a 20" throat that retail for about $150, they rattle and shake something terrible.

JackoH
17th July 2001, 05:00 PM
Raymond.
Have a look at Iains post, this forum Oct. last year, May help.
Regards, John H.

Raymond
17th July 2001, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.
Originally posted by Raymond:
Hi Guys,
I'm just starting off with my new found hobby
"Intarsia". I would appreciate some advice on which brand of scrollsaw to buy.

Iain
18th July 2001, 08:19 AM
My post from October 2000, thanks for the mnemonic John........

In Aus (you are from USA aren't you?) you won't get a lot for $200.00 although I have just returned from WWW where there was a Rexon for $279.00.
I swear by looking at it that it is a dremel and they have rreceived some good reviews.
Failing that, what to look for....
Good solid base, low vibration. Ideally two speed or variable speed and a blower that works. A quick change blade system is a must and pinned blades are a pain and restrict internal cuts.
Secondhand is anoither option and you can expect to pay half of new price for a reasonable unit.
The better brands, in my opinion are...
DeWalt..Delta..Ryobi (made by someone else)..
Avoid Proxxon, very bad vibration.
Also look at http://www.scrollsaws.com/
for information on tuning up.
There are also a lot of el cheapo units out there for about $150 and quite frankly I wouldn't touch them with Neils ####, poorly constructed but overcome the poor quality with stock capacity (who else is going to offer a 20" scroll saw for $150 The DeWalt is $1200+).
If you can't build it better, build it bigger.
Tread carefully and beware or save your bikkies and get a good one.

AlexS
18th July 2001, 08:53 AM
I've had a Hegener for years & am very happy with it, very pricey though. I looked at the deWalt at WWW a couple of years ago & was very impressed. Put some 1" blue gum through it no problems. Apart from lack of vibration, the thing I liked about it was the ability to tilt the table both ways. Thought it was good value in terms of quality, capacity & price.

John Saxton
18th July 2001, 09:41 PM
Hi Raymond,I have a DeWalt 788 and can vouch for the robust nature of this beast.
I have put some serious timber(in terms of density/hardness) thru this animal in the past months since I have bought it and am impressed with the 'nature of the beast'.
There is but one critique that I have, and that is that DeWalt, with all their forethought forgot to allow for a dust extraction port...an important feature not to be overlooked in this enlightened day of health concerns in the shop!
Apart from that one oversight I believe DeWalt have delivered unto us a machine to gladden the heart of any serious scroller.
As Iain has mentioned this is not a cheap layout of your good ol' Oz $, but quality does cost and the cheaper ones as has also been mentioned will do some sort of job but with some inconsistancies.
Just some thoughts.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

gekkotim
21st July 2001, 06:47 PM
Dear Raymond,
In my workshop I have a Hegner which although expensive will probably be passed on to my great, great grandkids.
I use a $200 Delta when I demo intarsia at shows. It cuts fine and the single speed is no real problem for intarsia as you are mainly cutting 19mm thick timber. Blades are so important. I use Olson PGA No 9. If you want to cut other stuff variable speed may be useful and costs an extra $100 if you go Delta. Also gets you a quicker release. These are the only 2 scrollsaws I have used extensively so can't really comment on others although I did use the top of the range Delta when it was lent to me for 3 days at a WWW show and seems to be a beauty.
Just to confuse the issue as a full time intarsia maker I do 95% of my work on a bandsaw with a 3mm blade.

------------------
Cheers
Steve
www.gekkotimbers.com.au

JackoH
24th August 2001, 12:17 PM
In their current cattledog, Hardwarehouse are offering a 400mm NRG Scroll Saw for $99.00. As I am mainly into woodturning, but occassionally need a scroll saw for inlays etc. would this machine be satisfactory. Or would I be wasting my money?
In light of your comments above I look forward to a response from you, Iain.
John H.

Iain
24th August 2001, 05:28 PM
Give me a couple of days John and I'll have a look. Where was it, Bayswater by any chance? (close to home)

JackoH
25th August 2001, 10:47 AM
Thanks Iain, look forward to your comments. Their latest sale is their "Fathers Day Specials" All stores 'til Sept 3rd.
Regards. John H. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

Iain
25th August 2001, 11:52 AM
Went in thismorning and had a look and for $99.00 it is not too bad. I plugged it in and there was not as much vibration as I expected.
On the plus side it seems reasonably well constructed and has enough weight to help negate vibration, warranty, forgot to ask http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/frown.gif there was also a blower that seemed to work well and a hold down albeit a bit flimsy.
Negative.
Only accepts pinned blades which is going to restrict inside cuts and single speed.
Pinned blades are a pain and you need to drill a hole the width of the pin which is just over 1/8" or is it 1/4", whichever, it is restrictive. You can get an aftermarket adaptor for pinless blades but these ar expensive and will never align properly.
The next model up was a Ryobi for $228.00 and has all the same characteristics.
For $199.00 you can get a Delta single speed from Carba tec which has a tool less pinless blade change and I think this would represent better value for money.
Remember that WWW Melbourne is on in about 6 weeks and if you can wait that long I'm sure you might fins a bargain there and get to try one into the bargain.
Overall for $99.00, it's OK but I think you would become frustrated with the pinned blade setup.

JackoH
26th August 2001, 10:00 AM
Thanks for that Iain. I will probably take your advice and wait until the WWW Show, as my need for a scroll saw is not urgent.

Whilst on about the WWW Show,how about we arrange to meet for coffee and biscuits ( I use Triton ones!) at the U-Beaut Stand (Not Us' coffee) at 11 am on the Thursday, any other members of the board are also very welcome.
Regards John H.

ubeaut
26th August 2001, 10:38 AM
John - Don't bother coming on Thursday unless you want to help with the setting up.

The show starts FRIDAY

Iain
26th August 2001, 02:40 PM
Neil, is there a two finger salute that can be pasted up for Stoppers? http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

Shane Watson
26th August 2001, 03:16 PM
Which two fingers though Iain????

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~tquinn/gif/3hand.gif

JackoH
26th August 2001, 03:58 PM
I knew that. Just checking to see if you were on the ball Neil!. Congratulations.
See ya FRIDAY. We'll have the last laugh when all the fossil fuel runs out!.
Mines a long black, no sugar,Thanks & Regards, John H. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by John Hambly (edited 26 August 2001).]