PDA

View Full Version : Made another lidded bowl

lubbing5cherubs
6th July 2006, 09:02 PM
Hi I have made another lidded bowl. This one I am really proud of I used satin sycamore for the knob. I used a small blank of qld maple to make the lid and then I made the bottom out of queensland maple. I then laquered it. I think I did pretty good. The bowl is 4 inches across and 2 inches high. Enough getting cocky I loved to know what you think
bye
Toni

rowie
6th July 2006, 09:49 PM
looks great toni,really impressed with your work.
how did u go with the broken one?

lubbing5cherubs
6th July 2006, 09:51 PM
looks great toni,really impressed with your work.
how did u go with the broken one?

We have got the lidded fitting but it still very warped. The washing machine is not really freindly to lids. We did not relathe it we all just sanded down the area that were out.
Thanks Toni

ss_11000
6th July 2006, 10:25 PM
nice work toni. looking forward to seeing more

Hickory
7th July 2006, 04:43 AM
Nice bowl... I love to make Lidded bowls, You best beware, It is addictive and you can really get carried away and before long you have a room full. All the ladies in my life got one last Christmas.

Keep up the good work and thanks for the post.

cedar n silky
7th July 2006, 09:04 AM
Hi I have made another lidded bowl. This one I am really proud of I used satin sycamore for the knob. I used a small blank of qld maple to make the lid and then I made the bottom out of queensland maple. I then laquered it. I think I did pretty good. The bowl is 4 inches across and 2 inches high. Enough getting cocky I loved to know what you think
bye
Toni
Hi Toni. Its a great job, and i only offer a small criticism. (constructive of course, and it's "horses for courses"). When i first saw it, what caught my eye was the size of the knob!! Just a bit too high, and a bit out off proportion to the beautiffully made bowl.
Only an observation!Cheers.;) Tony

lubbing5cherubs
7th July 2006, 09:10 AM
Thank you Tony I was thinking that too. But I was leaning too knob was to fat. So thanks for your honesty I will take that under my hat for the next one because there will be:D
Thanks Toni

Jim Carroll
7th July 2006, 09:17 AM
Great lidded box toni or should it be a jewelery box or a money box.
All depends on who recieves it.

PHD1
7th July 2006, 02:36 PM
Thank you Tony I was thinking that too. But I was leaning too knob was to fat. So thanks for your honesty I will take that under my hat for the next one because there will be:D
Thanks Toni

Hi Tony, If u can ever get ur hands on african blackwood u should try a small piece for finials. U will be hooked. It is increadible wood for turning fine detail as the grain is so fine.
Happy turning

JackoH
7th July 2006, 05:03 PM
Good onya Jim. I was taught that anything turned, with a lid was really a box.
Nice work anyway Toni.

cedar n silky
7th July 2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks Toni

Hi again Toni.
I am attatching a couple of photos (just showing off!) of boxes I made years ago. A bit of mass production for the local markets and craft stores.
I did turn the knobs though! The red cedar box has a Huon pine knob (the photo does not do it justice! the growth rings are about a quarter of a millimeter apart!!) I trteat Huon pine like gold as I only have a small amount, and just turn knobs with it.
The Silky Oak box has a silky oak knob.( the growth rings are at least 1 or 2 millimeters apart which gives you an idea of how slow the Houn pine grows!!)
I love my Silky Oak and Red Cedar (and huon pine) hence my user name!!
Just giving you some ideas on knobs!:D

TTIT
7th July 2006, 08:26 PM
Looks like exponential improvement there Toni:). You're definitely getting the hang of it now and one can tell from the pride that you're enjoying it too - makes all the difference.:D
Can I suggest getting yourself some Danish oil or Ubeaut waxes and trying them on your next pieces. Doesn't give that plastic look and you can really 'feel' the timber. You will never use lacquer again - I promise you!:D

cedar n silky
7th July 2006, 09:33 PM
Looks like exponential improvement there Toni:). You're definitely getting the hang of it now and one can tell from the pride that you're enjoying it too - makes all the difference.:D
Can I suggest getting yourself some Danish oil or Ubeaut waxes and trying them on your next pieces. Doesn't give that plastic look and you can really 'feel' the timber. You will never use lacquer again - I promise you!:D
I'll second that!!;)

Tassie Boy
7th July 2006, 10:24 PM
That looks great Toni,

Cedar the reason the growth rings on Huon are soo close is because the tree grows so god dam sloooww...

cedar n silky
8th July 2006, 08:35 AM
That looks great Toni,

Cedar the reason the growth rings on Huon are soo close is because the tree grows so god dam sloooww...

Hey you couldn't ship me up a couple of cube to play with could ya??
Seriously though, how available is it and what sort of $$ are we talking, as I love the stuff!! Might rename me as cedar n silky n Huon pine!:D

rsser
8th July 2006, 02:14 PM
C&S, there's a fair amount of Huon around, both from mainland mail order places and of course from Tassie. Do a search of the timber forum for suppliers.

It's not that exxy in small pieces.

cedar n silky
8th July 2006, 09:59 PM
C&S, there's a fair amount of Huon around, both from mainland mail order places and of course from Tassie. Do a search of the timber forum for suppliers.

It's not that exxy in small pieces.

Thanks Ern for that info- Cheers Tony

finewoods
9th July 2006, 01:07 AM
Hi Toni it looks great , its good to see our wood become a beautiful piece of art. Peter & Leanne (finewoodfromus) yes i am on this forum

Gil Jones
9th July 2006, 05:40 AM
Hi Toni.
Your lidded box looks very good!!
You are becoming better, faster.

lubbing5cherubs
9th July 2006, 01:31 PM

HI TTIT, Can I ask you another question about the UBeaut waxes? That EEE is it any good. I have some ordered but do they give a glossy finish like lacquer? I have danish oil, and shellawax glow but I was looking for glossy will EEE give that effect?
Toni

TTIT
10th July 2006, 12:06 AM
HI TTIT, Can I ask you another question about the UBeaut waxes? That EEE is it any good. I have some ordered but do they give a glossy finish like lacquer? I have danish oil, and shellawax glow but I was looking for glossy will EEE give that effect?
Toni

Toni - EEE is not a finish but more a polish - something like sanding with 5000 grit!!!;) Use it after you finish sanding with your finest grit. For a glossy finish, follow the EEE with the Shellawax glow you've got :D Hard to use on big stuff but small pieces come up great. Have a good read of the instructions/tips (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/ubhome.htm) before you get frustrated with it (like I did).
Danish oil can give you a glossy look if you put enough coats on and rub it in well.