PDA

View Full Version : How do you use the domino in the middle of a panel?

econ
6th July 2006, 10:18 PM
If I wanted to place a shelf at a precise height onto the side panels of a book case how would I do this with the domino?

Groggy
6th July 2006, 10:21 PM
I imagine the same way as a biscuit jointer. Clamp a straight edge across the panel to set the distance and plunge away.

(BTW, this is the one task a slot cutter in a router can't do that a biscuit jointer can)

econ
6th July 2006, 10:33 PM
Thanks Groggy. couple more qs

The bottom plate of the biscuit joiner/ domino would then rest against the
straight edge ?
It would need a straight edge with a bit if height to provid enough surface to rest on so that the domino/biscuit joiner stays at right angles to the side panel ?

Groggy
6th July 2006, 10:40 PM
Thanks Groggy. couple more qs

The bottom plate of the biscuit joiner/ domino would then rest against the straight edge ?
Yes, that's the idea - but note that I am guessing as I don't own one (yet :rolleyes: ).

It would need a straight edge with a bit if height to provid enough surface to rest on so that the domino/biscuit joiner stays at right angles to the side panel ?I think I'd do it with the panel laying down, then only a thin edge is needed.

cheers.

Lignum
6th July 2006, 10:53 PM
Econ have ago this way:)

Pic 1 shows the shelf layed flat on the side of the carcase. The red arrow shows what will be the point of contact so you can get it in the exact spot you need when joined together

Pic 2 shows the first plunge. Use the index pin for this. As im doing this in a bit of a rush i have the 10mm cutter in. you would be better with the 6mm cutter on your shelf, it will be strong as.

Pic 3 shows the second plunge, again using the index pin.

Pic 4 shows the fitted shelf with the red arrow exactly where you want it.

Have fun:D :D :D :D

econ
6th July 2006, 11:06 PM
Lignum ,Those pictures are just perfect.

Did you put a pencil mark on the side panel and shelf before the first cut
or by index pin do you mean the accessory that comes with the domino ?

nt900
6th July 2006, 11:22 PM
There is a pin on the front of the machine (it pops out when no pressure is applied to the face of the machine) used to set the first domino spacing from the edge of the board. Pic attached.

econ
6th July 2006, 11:44 PM
Perfect. Thanks Lignum, Groggy, NT900. Those pics speak volumes.

Did you guys have them on file or did you go to the shed and snap them tonite ?
Either way I'm impressed.

nt900
6th July 2006, 11:45 PM
on file.....:o

Lignum
6th July 2006, 11:49 PM
Did you put a pencil mark on the side panel and shelf before the first cut
or by index pin do you mean the accessory that comes with the domino ?

The only pencil marking you need is for the actual positioning of the shelf, Then to cut the mortices, as Anthony pointed out the index pin that is built into the Domino is pushed up againsed the side of the shelf and panel at the front and back. If the shelf is wide and you want extra mortices then put the index pin in the first mortice as a referance and plunge the second cut, and keep doing that for as many mortices you need.

Did you guys have them on file or did you go to the shed and snap them tonite ?

Wonders of modern technology (digi camera) + the help of the speedy Domino. The method is a standard one that the Old Timers (read - "biscuit joiner users" ;) ) use, so it didnt take long to whip one up with the Dominatrix. Easier than trying to explain in words:D

sbranden
7th July 2006, 12:18 AM
I'd just like to say that this thread is an amazing example of how helpful (and enthusiastic) members of this forum can be.

shaun

econ
7th July 2006, 12:34 AM
Shaun I wholeheartedly agree with you. This whole bulletin board is like that.

I dont know if you have a domino but the dvd that comes with it is very very good and is much easier to absorb and more comprehensive than the manual as far as the practical aspects are concerned.

But if its not in the manual its guys like Lignum ,Nt900 ,groggy who step in.
Brilliant.

Groggy
7th July 2006, 12:35 AM
The method is a standard one that the Old Timers (read - "biscuit joiner users" ;) ) use, so it didnt take long to whip one up with the Dominatrix. How quickly we forget our humble beginnings :rolleyes:;):D

nt900
7th July 2006, 12:42 AM
How quickly we forget our humble beginnings :rolleyes:;):D
Speaking of older timers and old times... I was experimenting with the Festool HL 850 planer to simulate a 'hand hewn' look to some timber. Funny thing was, I am not sure I know what hand hew looks like any more. Best I get exposed is to the wood shows and the gent with the adze. Not much hand hewn lying around Oz anymore.

P.S. Lignum is doing an excellent job! clap clap clap!

sbranden
7th July 2006, 12:48 AM
Shaun I wholeheartedly agree with you. This whole bulletin board is like that.

I dont know if you have a domino but the dvd that comes with it is very very good and is much easier to absorb and more comprehensive than the manual as far as the practical aspects are concerned.

But if its not in the manual its guys like Lignum ,Nt900 ,groggy who step in.
Brilliant.

Not yet, I have just received a huge information pack from idealtools.com.au (thanks nt900) and am working my way through it. I am not really in the Festool league, but this tool is fascinating. The information pack includes a domino dvd which I havn't looked at yet. The domino is singing a siren's song which I am resisting so far :)

shaun

Lignum
7th July 2006, 12:55 AM
The domino is singing a siren's song which I am resisting so far :)

shaun

Well you have two options... Leave now and never return:rolleyes:

Or keep coming back and be drawn in to the Power corded Darkside magic of the Dominatrix, then youl never leave :cool:

nt900
7th July 2006, 12:56 AM
No problems Shaun.

nt900
7th July 2006, 12:59 AM
Well you have two options... Leave now and never return:rolleyes:

Or keep coming back and be drawn in to the Power corded Darkside magic of the Dominatrix, then youl never leave.:cool:
On that note, and with a jolly chuckle :D, I am going to bed. Night all.

TassieKiwi
7th July 2006, 09:35 AM
Clever wee thing, innit?