PDA

View Full Version : Latest and Greatest

cypher
8th July 2006, 08:11 AM
Here are my three newest projects. Vase is made of Kumbi and Paduka 9" tall x 5" round. Bowl is Ambroisa Maple 3" deep x 9" round. Top is laminated Purpleheart and Maple with a Walnut stem. It is 2.5" round x 2.5" tall.

cedar n silky
8th July 2006, 08:43 AM
Here are my three newest projects. Vase is made of Kumbi and Paduka 9" tall x 5" round. Bowl is Ambroisa Maple 3" deep x 9" round. Top is laminated Purpleheart and Maple with a Walnut stem. It is 2.5" round x 2.5" tall.

Nice work cypher. I particularly like that Ambrosia maple bowl. The grain looks excellent. Interesting wood.:)

Tassie Boy
8th July 2006, 11:43 AM
Great work the grain in that bowl is awesome stuff!!

ss_11000
8th July 2006, 04:46 PM
great work, the spinning top is great ( though i dont like the handle but thats just me) and the bowl is spectacular and the vase looks awesome

well done

TTIT
9th July 2006, 12:29 AM
Great pieces Cypher!:) Are the dark areas in the maple bowl caused by the grub attacks or is it just coincidence? The holes would be good candidates for some brass in-fill.

Hickory
9th July 2006, 01:25 AM
I can answer the question on Ambrosia Maple. Seems the Ambrosia Beetle carries with it a fungus to feed it's Larva which knaw through and the fungus discolors the surrounding wood as the laurva eats its way through .

Sorry to jump in on your post but it is an interesting occurance.

Terry B
9th July 2006, 10:44 PM
Lovely grain on that bowl.

Terry B

RufflyRustic
10th July 2006, 10:02 AM
Wow! Great work - yep, the bowl is my favourite too.
Awesome work !

Cheers
Wendy

reeves
10th July 2006, 10:36 AM
mmm very nice indeedy, i love the top, does it spin well, the purple heart and maple laminate looks pretty cool.....

hey Wendy i have come across some purpleheart pieces, its pretty wild stuff...can send a bit yr way if u wanna try it out...

cheeeeers
john

cypher
10th July 2006, 11:02 AM
thanks for all the feedback. since the bowl seems so popular here is a better picture of the grain from the top view.

Reeves - yes the top spins very well.

Hickory- thanks for answering the question on the beetle

ss_11000 - I'm not happy with handle but the original broke while turning so i improvised.

Dennis
10th July 2006, 04:12 PM
I am looking at upgrading my lathe and have been offered a Sherpower MC-900 for $800. It seems a bit too much as it is fairly old and the speed control seems to be stuck in one position (possibly fixable).
Where is the Sherpower made and what are they worth new?
Just what price should I be looking at and where could I get some advice please

ss_11000
10th July 2006, 05:40 PM
I am looking at upgrading my lathe and have been offered a Sherpower MC-900 for $800. It seems a bit too much as it is fairly old and the speed control seems to be stuck in one position (possibly fixable).

i would recomend starting a new thread so more people see it.

btw, dont know if its the same quality etc but carbatec and a few others sell new mc 900 s for $400

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th July 2006, 05:46 PM
i would recomend starting a new thread so more people see it.

btw, dont know if its the same quality etc but carbatec and a few others sell new mc 900 s for $400

Doesn't sound like it's better quality... sticking var speed? Easily fixed, but a standard problem with the MC's. IMHO 'tis overpriced unless it comes with a good name-brand chuck, HSS tools and accessories. And I don't mean a knock-out stick and a spare spur-drive. :rolleyes:

rsser
10th July 2006, 07:50 PM
Hi Cypher,

Lovely woods and good finish.

Re the vase: this is a hard shape to get right. IMHO a narrower base would improve the line, as would a smoother transition at the shoulder.

Ditto for the bowl base. Rule of thumb is base as 1/3 of rim. Unless you have utilitarian application in mind.

Auzzie turner
10th July 2006, 08:20 PM
Absolotely brilliant work. But I have a few helpful comments.:p

1. The vase seeing that the wood is quite narrow and long, the shoulder should come around to a thinner/smaller top. The base has been done quite well, but I think where the wood comes down to meet the surface of what is sitting on, it should round more into a bead shape.

2. The top has a handle that needs a lot more sanding with the finer grits. It also needs to have more detail. Laminated woods that are contrasted, look much better with detail. It needs a bit of detail where the body meets the handle. eg: a few beads with a sharp outward triangle.

3. The bowl is very nice with just about no faults. In the second picture of the bowl, I think the sides need to come to a more smaller base, with a slight concaveness. Remember the base should be around 1/3 the width of the bowl.

Anyway, that's why I put my work on the forum, for people to criticize. How long have you been turning for? I THINK YOUR WORK IS NICE,

Regards..............Joash (www.ageofempires3.com)

hughie
11th July 2006, 01:39 AM
[

quote=Dennis]I am looking at upgrading my lathe and have been offered a Sherpower MC-900 for $800. It seems a bit too much as it is fairly old and the speed control seems to be stuck in one position (possibly fixable).
[/QUOTE]

The bare lathe is about $400 new max, what a gear comes with it? That will bring the price up.
hughie

cypher
11th July 2006, 04:44 AM
Thanks for all the great feedback on my work. I really appreciate the critics. This is the only way I can become a better turner. I have only been turning for about 6 months so any advice is awesome. I normally turn my bowl bases to 1/3 the diameter (thanks to everyones advice) but this bowl was made this way for a specific reason. Mainly the person I made it for wanted it to look like this.

Auzzie Turner - The handle on the top was an improv job. The original handle had a lot more detail before it broke off. So i improved with a small piece of scrap i had leftover from another project.

It is really interesting to get different opinion on the vase shape. Each person has a slightly different idea of what it should look like. thanks again for all the advice!!